Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-24-2017, 07:07 AM
I can dig it

It's not a common system even in this day and age. I'd call this a 'semi-automatic' power source, so it has servo motors in three axis controlled by a joystick. This moves the laser pulse how the operator wants.

The filler rod is manually held, by hand. You really don't need to feed it, as the laser travels it basically uses rod as it goes. Just hold the rod, no feeding required.

Time for a new signature line!!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
It's not a common system even in this day and age. I'd call this a 'semi-automatic' power source, so it has servo motors in three axis controlled by a joystick. This moves the laser pulse how the operator wants.

The filler rod is manually held, by hand. You really don't need to feed it, as the laser travels it basically uses rod as it goes. Just hold the rod, no feeding required.

What kind of eye/face protection do you use on something like that? Too tired right now to google the process, and prefer to get the info first hand when I can.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 AM
I can dig it

The operator is looking through a microscope, and it is filtered/shielded so no additional protection required.

If someone is near/in the welding area, there are basically safety glasses that are specific filters for the exact wavelength of light. This particular laser has a focal length of just .012", closer or farther and the beam spreads out, losing power.

We then have a laser specific enclosure around the area, with an electronic interlock on the access door. If someone opens it while we are welding it triggers the e-stop on the welder shutting it down.

Really once you know the hazards, similar to other welding, it's overkill, but due to the average worker being in the area, it was better to overdo it.