Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Williams lake, Is that the area that this book is about? It is a great book
If you like that book, try 'Nothing too good for a Cowboy' from the same author.
Seems to me he wrote a third, but I can't recall for sure.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Rich Hobson wrote three books: Grass Beyond The Mountains (1951), Nothing Too good For A Cowboy (1955) and The Rancher Takes A Wife (1961). They were primarily set in the Chilcotin country between Tatla Lake and Anahim Lake about 100-150 miles west of Williams Lake. The ranch I worked on was at a tiny little place called Miocene, about 30 miles east of Williams Lake on the road out to Horsefly.

I got out into the Chilcotin a few times while I was up there...have only been back once or twice since which is a real shame since that's some of the prettiest and most captivating country I've ever seen. It's not the same as it once was, though. Greatly improved roads have shortened distances dramatically and extensive logging has changed the character of the country pretty significantly.

Part of the magic of the Cariboo and Chilcotin country (even when I was there in the 60s) was its remoteness. Distances weren't really that great but the roads were poor and often circuitous so traveling just about anywhere was a slow go. As the crow flies we were only about 20 miles from "The Lake", as most people called it, but by road it was about 40 miles. During the summer when roads were at their best it was at least an hour drive to town and during the winter and spring breakup it was often a lot longer.

It's about 200 miles by road from Williams Lake to Anahim Lake which is generally considered to be the western edge of the Chilcotin region and the last settlement you pass through before climbing into the Coast Mountains on the drive to Bella Coola which is on salt water on the upper end of North Bentinck Arm. (As an aside it's interesting to note that while Bella Coola is on salt water it's nearly 100 kms inland from the open ocean--such is the ruggedness of the B.C. coast.)

We had a neighbour who drove a truck for one of the oil companies in town and he made weekly trips as far west as Anahim Lake. I managed to ride along a couple times in the winter and it was always a two day trip--one day out and one day back. The highlight of the trip--read; scariest part--was the infamous "Sheep Creek Hill" which descended from the plateau down to a bridge crossing of the Fraser River and back up on the other side. It was the site of many truck runaways in the old days and always raised the "pucker factor" a fair bit.

Literally dozens of books have been written about B.C.'s Cariboo and Chilcotin regions and the Goldrush Country to the north--around Quesnel and Barkerville. If you're at all interested a little Google searching will bring up a number of titles.

Some GPS coordinates for those who are interested...

Bella Coola 52.372436 -126.753540

Miocene 52.260164 -121.726490

Tatla Lake 51.905457 -124.599055

Anahim Lake 52.460814 -125.305041

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:19 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
If you like that book, try 'Nothing too good for a Cowboy' from the same author.
Seems to me he wrote a third, but I can't recall for sure.
'Course, in this day n age of YouTube, you can search the Nothing too good... thing and come up with the TV series based on the books.