Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Post Fiend

Play with the flux core since you bought it. Then unload it. HF has a fluxcore machine that is about the same price and probably similar in function. I took one on trade played around with it and decided I had better options already at my disposal as in a "real" MIG welder.

A real MIG can also do fluxcore if EVER needed: just switch polarity (as your machine can not do), change to flux core wire (expensive compared to solid) and disconnect the gas (your machine probably doesn't have a gas port/solenoid either).

What you really need is a small MIG, some .024" wire and a bottle of C25 and that will be perfect for sheet metal.

But like they said: practice the stick until you can just lay down rod after rod without issue.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 PM

Rufus,
I agree with what the other contributors have said about the FC welder and leave it at that. I concede you have some issue with pain and trembling and that does not help. You must put it aside mate!

As an instructor I taught an apprentice who had Tourette's syndrome who along with the outbursts in class also had a tic.

The tic did not however prevent John from welding and indeed he was an excellent welder both stick and mig. I said to him "How is it you can weld with the tic?" He replied that he was relaxed when he was welding and never thought about having a tic,there fore he did not have a tic when he welded.

Basically it was mind over matter.
I am sure there are ways around your shaking issue or rather ways to minimise the effects of your shakes.

I have some notes on this and I will need to go and hunt them out.

It is a matter of how hard you are willing to go.
Regards

Oz

Last edited by OZWELDER; 08-27-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZWELDER View Post
Rufus,
I agree with what the other contributors have said about the FC welder and leave it at that. I concede you have some issue with pain and trembling and that does not help. You must put it aside mate!

As an instructor I taught an apprentice who had Tourette's syndrome who along with the outbursts in class also had a tic.

The tic did not however prevent John from welding and indeed he was an excellent welder both stick and mig. I said to him "How is it you can weld with the tic?" He replied that he was relaxed when he was welding and never thought about having a tic,there fore he did not have a tic when he welded.

Basically it was mind over matter.
I am sure there are ways around your shaking issue or rather ways to minimise the effects of your shakes.

I have some notes on this and I will need to go and hunt them out.

It is a matter of how hard you are willing to go.
Regards

Oz
All i will say is the shakes that I have, my dad suffered from them. It runs in my family. I mean, what do you want me to say? These "shakes" as people like to call them are known as "intention Tremors". I have had them for years. My dad had them as well. I saw him with them. I witnessed him shaking like a leaf in a wind storm. What more do you all want me to say? Really! What do you want me to say? These shakes, as everyone on here likes to call them has plagued my family for years. I honestly don't know what more to say. Now, with all that said, they have subsided some what because of being put on 60 mgs of Propranolol. It's a beta blocker. I was given it to A) take care of my blood pressure and B) to take care of what you all are calling "shakes" And no! I am not blaming my lack of welding skills on them. And by the way, if you look up intention tremors, you might find that they could have been caused by a stroke I had. Yeah! I had a stroke and that very well could have caused my tremors. So, yeah. Take a look at this article about intention tremors. I apologize for sounding so mean. I repent of that.

Thank you.
Tim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intention_tremor

Last edited by Rufus; 08-27-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:02 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Looks to me like you bought a flux core welder not a mig welder.
This.

Your real question is unanswerable because it lacks all the details necessary.

FCAW has a place, and is one of the processes I use the most. But a real GMAW/MIG machine will do a much cleaner job and on thinner material.

How thin are you welding? How clean is the material?

How often are you okay with fighting the poor quality of tips and driverolls in cheap machines?

It could be that your machine will do everything you want from it. Or, well, you'll be the one in the best position to say why it wasn't.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
This.

Your real question is unanswerable because it lacks all the details necessary.

FCAW has a place, and is one of the processes I use the most. But a real GMAW/MIG machine will do a much cleaner job and on thinner material.

How thin are you welding? How clean is the material?

How often are you okay with fighting the poor quality of tips and driverolls in cheap machines?

It could be that your machine will do everything you want from it. Or, well, you'll be the one in the best position to say why it wasn't.
I use to have a Campbellhausfeld Farm hand 125 mig/flux core welder and I could make that machine sing with nothing more than flux core wire. I always used flux core because I didn't want to fork over the money for the 75/25 mix. The thinnest I will be welding will be 1/8". Are the tips and driverolls cheap? I don't know. I do know that the machine I bought uses tweco style tips. Parts and service are available from Northern Tool. I know mig produces a much cleaner, better looking weld, but I can still make flux core welds look good. Clean them up with a nice wire brush that fits on a 4-1/2" angle grinder and that will work. I will have to post some pictures of it after I run a few beads with it. Will this be the last machine (flux core/mig) that I buy? No. I will, in the future, buy a note worthy machine. Here is the unit I use to have. Nice machine. I wish I still had it.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=110409

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by Rufus; 08-28-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added a link to a machine I use to own. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:35 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
...The thinnest I will be welding will be 1/8"...
FCAW is fine for that. I have an old POS Craftsman FCAW machine that has gotten me out of a few jams, even with fighting its idiosyncrasies, just because it was cheap enough to always be in the back of the second work vehicle.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
FCAW is fine for that. I have an old POS Craftsman FCAW machine that has gotten me out of a few jams, even with fighting its idiosyncrasies, just because it was cheap enough to always be in the back of the second work vehicle.
One thing I have noticed is flux core wire is more expensive than standard mig wire. In the hands of a competent welder, those little machines do a good job.

Thanks
Tim