Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-06-2017, 08:04 PM

A placeI worked the bean counters decided propane was cheaper, it was a pain and we went back to acetylene, the tips as already said are two piece and finicky, this was in the phosphate fertiliser industry where you are cutting a lot of contaminated steel, you had to clean so much more before it would cut well. I did a couple of shutdowns at a steel mill and they used it there to trim the slabs and they took some big cuts, around 3 inches thick, by hand. The guys cutting used long straight torches and stood upright making a cut around ground level, they were pretty impressive and used to cut big wedges as needed and did a good job of it. So yes it can cut some pretty impressive thicknesses but I still reckon it's too finiky compared with acetylene.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Lord of the Minions

I have a dozen or so tips for Propane and do have Propane at the farm.

I keep the tips handy should I err and run out of Acety in the 3 bottles I keep on hand. Which has never happened and doubt ever will.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I run cutting torches (not attachments) and all run on propane.

When I stick a torch tip into a tight corner, I have zero problems.

Was using Acetylene at the neighbors weld shop, and boy the problems
with corners, popping, igniting inside the torch etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Qualifying this statement with the fact that we have whats labeled LPG here, which may be different to what you use (even though propane is a LPG). We only use acet for brazing and welding. For all cutting and gouging we use LPG, and it works fine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 09-08-2017, 04:51 AM

I've used both, but it always seemed like the oxy-propane cutting rig took an AWFUL lot of fiddling to get it to burn right. Always seemed like it was on the ragged edge of blowing itself out. It also gobbled oxygen like you wouldn't believe. I think the ratio was three big bottles of oxygen to use up one 20# BBQ bottle of propane. I finally went back to using O/A for cutting. Never could get comfortable using oxy-propane, although others swear by it. YMMV.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Used it all my life, takes me 2 seconds to set the torch. I don't know what they call propane in the US, it is LPG here.
People think that it uses more oxygen but that is a myth. One guy said it should be one propane tank to one ox, I said I can arrange that if I can fill the propane tank with pumice like acetylene is.

The neutral zone is small compared to acet, but if you don't care about cut quality, why bother. I think that a oxy rich flame will cool the work just as a fuel rich flame would

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Grumpy Bastard

What is sold as Propane in the US is primarily the chemical propane (C3H8)
with minor components of other hydrocarbon gasses.

LP-gas or LPG is a less pure form of propane, generally with a significant
fraction of butane (C4H10) isomers.

Generally they are interchangeable, but your equipment may require propane
and not LP. Generally anything designed for LP can take propane without
issue.

Different countries define them differently...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 09-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I've used both, but it always seemed like the oxy-propane cutting rig took an AWFUL lot of fiddling to get it to burn right. Always seemed like it was on the ragged edge of blowing itself out. It also gobbled oxygen like you wouldn't believe. I think the ratio was three big bottles of oxygen to use up one 20# BBQ bottle of propane. I finally went back to using O/A for cutting. Never could get comfortable using oxy-propane, although others swear by it. YMMV.
Sounds like you didn't switch to the 2-piece tip.....
Old 09-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Something is definatly not right with the setup. You need to start with the fuel slightly lower and bring the oxy in, then increase them both, otherwise the flame will jump off the tip. But thats fairly obvious once you do it. Maybe your bottle pressures were way out? Or like doug said, wrong tip. I have never seen anybody set one just with regulator pressures like was suggested above, seems like an odd approach.
As far as consumption goes, the rule of thumb here is 3 "G" size oxy the 1 40kg LPG. We do use big heating torches alot, and all the cnc profile cutters and pipe cutters use the high speed tips, which consume more oxy than the standard ones.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Used it all my life, takes me 2 seconds to set the torch. I don't know what they call propane in the US, it is LPG here.
People think that it uses more oxygen but that is a myth. One guy said it should be one propane tank to one ox, I said I can arrange that if I can fill the propane tank with pumice like acetylene is.

The neutral zone is small compared to acet, but if you don't care about cut quality, why bother. I think that a oxy rich flame will cool the work just as a fuel rich flame would
Not having seen acet on an auto machine, i cant give any comparison, but the cut quality from our big profile cutter using LPG is near perfect. Regularly do 100mm+ thick cuts on it, and the surface finish is spotless, kerf taper is something like 1mm per 25mm. Even with a hand held torch, as long as the preheat is adaquate, cut finish is just as good as i can do with acet.