Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default What SFT is all about

I have been PM'ing back and forth with Camdigger, he was going to lend me a battery powered winch to drag things around in the shop. Finally, Cam offered to come up to my shop with it, and we spent 4 hours winching things back and forth and out of the way til the Lagun scooted into her final resting space on the floor. We had to move the drill press, grinder , and lathe, and remove the contents of a shelving unit and get it out of the way. My son arrived fashionably late enough to cheer us on, as we winched the lathe back to where it belongs.
The machine shop is a wreck still, as it is an excuse to clean up the place as I go, and stuff is piled up on the tables and on the chip tray of the lathe.
I am going to have to transmogrify my 220V wall plugs, and the overhead light, as their position won't play well with the new machine.

Thanks again Cam, BTW, if you are missing some clevises, they are still in my shop, and I will bring them to your place next.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Curmudgeon

Oh good. Now that's out of the way & we're one step closer to making that video.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

Thanks again Cam, BTW, if you are missing some clevises, they are still in my shop, and I will bring them to your place next.
You are welcome Gerry. As a matter of fact, it was kind of fun to do something like that with/for someone who has such vast experience moving heavy stuff and has a clear vision of what is to happen.

I did remember I had set the clevises down away from where the action was happening about halfway home. Turning back for them at that point would have made me later for supper than I already was, so it seemed more prudent to leave it be for the time being and not disrupt domestic harmony any more.

I know what an unholy mess we made of your machine area. I also know that you might well end up cursing my name and ancestry if I hung around to put things away-you might never find a precious widget again!. Wasn't there mention elsewhere aboard here about others cleaning up your workspace?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 PM

I whittled away at cleanup today because the silage truck job ground to a halt for lack of longer bolts. Tomorrow for that.
I now have to go to town and get some wiring supplies to hack into the 220 volt line for a plug closer to the machine, or hardwire it in, we'll see. But it is starting to look better in there.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM

The truck owner never showed up, so I worked on tramming the head.....man it is a bit tougher with the nod feature that my other didn't have.. Took me an embarrassing length of time, but i have a plan to fix that. I have two milling vises, and I had gone through one of them, the little one perporting to be a Kurt klone.
I made improvements to it such as grinding the ball socket with a round ball stone to polish up the rough casting. The 1/2 ball had been rounded with and axe and cut off on the flat side to about 1/8" and then hack sawed. So I filed it flat and filed the ball side round. Looked through my Might need this next decade parts pile for a ball bearing that I could cut in half with a zip disk....no luck. And i forgot to check for true...
So today, when I had done the tramming, done some wire stretching, and cleaned and threw out things, I thought I would tackle the big vise. First I stripped it and cleaned it up, and removed the metal slivers from my hands. Then set it on the table and used the Indicol and trammed the length of the vise surface .0015" difference over 10 inches on both slide surfaces. The socket was good enough, the half ball was slightly better but a file tuneup was required.
In the pictures first one you can see the flat side of the ball, and next is the round side after filing. Third picture is the wedge surface that the ball flat side slides on with the small contact area visible. Fourth picture is the wedge after filing it flat so there is a good sliding surface.

Then I looked at the screw and the thrust bearing. Because the collar on the screw was way 3/8" smaller then the trust washer, it had started to turn the washer inside out, as you can see on picture 5. this is after I flattened it with a Russian crescent wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02700.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	141198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02699.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	141199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02701.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	141200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02702.jpg
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	141201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02698.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	141202  

Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 PM

This lack of proper support to the thrust washer was a failure in slow motion, I had to beat it off the shaft because as it was folding the hole got smaller. Now I looked at the hole on the frame. The shaft was .764" and the bearing surface in the frame was .806. Note the play in the first picture. Why? this was so they could use that "precision" thrust bearing as it would not fit over a larger shaft. We'll see. I machined out the races to the .806 new shaft size and they still work fine.
I could, and probably will go buy a better thrust bearing down the road sometime. So I took the screw out and welded on .070 buildup on the collar diameter, so it will properly support the thrust washer, and added metal to the shaft to get rid all that play.
Second and third picture show build up and partial machining done on the shaft. I am within .020" of final cut and had some holes to fill. After that I got excited and forgot to take pictures, til the last one - all assembled.

Would I get a Kurt? No. I could buy 2 of these for the cost of one used Kurt vise, and still would have to go over it and straighten out things.

I am pleased with the runout on the vise slides, and to determine if the bottom is true and parallel, I would need to use a surface plate, and I don't have one. I can and will assume the mill bed is flat, but that may not be the case when you are talking in 1/2 thou measurements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02692.jpg
ID:	141203   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02697.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	141204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02704.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	141205   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02705.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	141206  

Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 PM

Default for Rod

Today was a snow day, so it was a day to play in the machine shop.
I made a video for you Rod, but it is too big to attach at 129MB.

I made a spindle square to make life easier for me tramming the head, and I checked my handiwork with the Indicol and a brake disk, and I was still bang on.

Then I started doing as set of soft jaws. I seem to be unable to throw out a vise when it is sent to me as scrap, and I always nurse it back to health. This is also the case with battery chargers, so I have 4 of them, and 4 vises. Camdigger suggested I set up a vise with soft jaws, as this 4" Record came jawless and beaten. I filed off the bumps and removed the broken bolts and made a movie of starting milling the aluminum jaws. No, I don't know how to shrink it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02710.jpg
Views:	29
ID:	141341   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02713.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	141342  

Old 10-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

I keep thinking I need to make one of those tramming indicators. Maybe one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
No, I don't know how to shrink it.
Windows Movie Maker.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.