Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
Thank you Jen, very generous of you but we don't have that outfit here.

Just for giggles I googled new anvils and there is a place in the city that from what I can tell sells the same anvil you have, is an agent and will get them.

Might call them tomorrow and see whats up.
do they have a website? I'd love to see what is going on there in NZ..

My Esseti welder one of the distributors was there..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
do they have a website? I'd love to see what is going on there in NZ..
This is the website......

https://www.ridgid.com/nz/en/forged-anvils

Apart from a place selling farrier anvils this one seems to be the extent of 'what is going on in NZ'

I am not surprised. The increase in interest in blacksmithing is driving the cost of used anvils I think. There just arn't that many used anvils coming up for sale and a good used one seems to be a rarity. The benefits of living at the bottom of the world............
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Lord of the Minions

Well thought out stand Jen. Should be solid as a tree stump base, but it won't have the same sound a stump will offer. lol

Not having a tree handy at the time to cut to make a stump base for my anvils, I opted to cut lengths of 2x6's to stand side by side with all thread for through bolts after I glued them together. Added a ring of the same around the top and bottom to hold the stand in place and the anvils in place.

A stump base is what it is and once it's in place, it's in place. lol

I've never found a more solid base from Mother Natures finest. I'll have a several pieces once that huge oak is cut next to the shop that needs to come down. Waiting for the dry weather to start to do this one.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
This is the website......

https://www.ridgid.com/nz/en/forged-anvils

Apart from a place selling farrier anvils this one seems to be the extent of 'what is going on in NZ'

I am not surprised. The increase in interest in blacksmithing is driving the cost of used anvils I think. There just arn't that many used anvils coming up for sale and a good used one seems to be a rarity. The benefits of living at the bottom of the world............
I didn't know if there was a local place which had a website selling anvils.. The Rigid tool company seems to have the same web site for all English speaking peoples..

If you go to one of the Farrier supply companies and ask them to order an anvil they might be able to add it into there shipment when the time comes.. Not sure what kind of savings if any they would offer..

The new anvil is excellent.. Been doing some pretty intense forgings and it works great.. Got all the corners just about dialed in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Well thought out stand Jen. Should be solid as a tree stump base, but it won't have the same sound a stump will offer. lol

Not having a tree handy at the time to cut to make a stump base for my anvils, I opted to cut lengths of 2x6's to stand side by side with all thread for through bolts after I glued them together. Added a ring of the same around the top and bottom to hold the stand in place and the anvils in place.

A stump base is what it is and once it's in place, it's in place. lol

I've never found a more solid base from Mother Natures finest. I'll have a several pieces once that huge oak is cut next to the shop that needs to come down. Waiting for the dry weather to start to do this one.
I have one of the composite stumps from a very early Hay Budden anvil.. It was at the place where I purchased the anvil from and from what I remember it was opened in 1824.. they bought all the anvils direct..
They did cutting die making for leather, cloth and such..

The stand was made very sturdy..

On this latest model I was almost going to go with a solid red oak block for half and steel for the other half.. The wood would be on the bottom and the 2 would be bolted to gether..

I then came to my senses as the steel stand complete weighs 280lbs.. I doubt I could have came in lighter with the combo stand..

I do like a wood stand.. The advantage the steel stand has is" It's very easy to modify and add such things as trays, brush holders and the like..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.