Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Elite Member

Default Advice on OBDII Code/Can Scan Tools

In the very near future I want to buy an automotive scan tool. I have been looking at many different brands/models on the internet. I have never owned one, but have used one that was lent to me from a fellow co-worker. I would like to keep the cost between $100-$150 if possible to get a half way decent tool. It seems that the more I read up on these things, the more confusing it gets in regards to all the promotional hype about why you need to buy their scan tool because it will do things that the other brands won't. I honestly do not care if it will give me information about the air bag system, because if it hasn't deployed, I could care less. Then there are some that state that they will read ABS codes, which may be a good thing to have, but it seems to jack the cost up.....................So, can anyone tell me about the Innova model 3100, or the Harbor Freight model that costs about $139.00 ( I forgot the model number)

My main reason for wanting one is because I am the first one family members contact when they have automotive problems, and for use on my own vehicles. I have a 2013 KIA Optima, a 2013 Chevy Traverse, and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I would like a scan tool to at least cover the vehicles I own, and as far as the family members go, if the one that covers my vehicles works on theirs fine, if not too bad.

So to sum it up, I would like to get a scan tool that is not too expensive, but want one that will be user friendly, and be able to scan some of the most common problems that turn the check engine lights on. Thanks for any advice or information you may be able to provide.

Edit.....I went to Harbor Freights site and found that the item number is #60794 for $139.00
Old 05-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

If you have a smart phone or a tablet, then take a look at "Blue Driver". It is super easy to do things like get updates and email yourself a report, since the smart phone is already connected to the internet. The Blue Driver connects with Bluetooth, so no wires are necessary either. It is just a plug that goes into the cars OBD port, and then you open the app on your phone. I have iPhone, but I think it works on android also.

My newest car is 2007 so I can't help much on the cars that you have.

Also I do not have any current knowledge about what else is available in the $100 range, although I did just spend big bucks on an Autel thingy. Not sure what to call it. Diagnostic computer I suppose.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I had several people offer to loan me their "good one" when I was doing some work on my minivan. Instead of driving across town to borrow one, I went to the local Harbor Freight and bought their cheapest one. After a coupon, I think I paid something in the $40 range. I've used it three times and it has found the code every time. It has paid for itself every time, even if I would need something "better" for another job.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Standard of Excellence

My advice, get the Torque pro app on your android phone for a few bucks, or the Torque app for free, then buy an obdII Bluetooth adapter for $20. You not only get codes scanned, but also lots of useful information to help diagnosis.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM
SFT Historian

We have this thread.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37464
Old 05-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Standard of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
But why should we se that thread when we can rehash all the same stuff again?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Elite Member

Thank you for the responses, and thanks to you also GWIZ for bringing the older discussion to my attention.

Samcord...... Thanks for pointing out the BlueDriver. I will be checking that out. I have an iPhone 6 so I guess that would work with it. This seems like it may be the way to go because there really isn't anything much that can get broken or lost besides the phone..........appears to be pretty nifty.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:50 AM
Elite Member

My iPhone is the 5s, and it works just fine.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:03 AM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
My advice, get the Torque pro app on your android phone for a few bucks, or the Torque app for free, then buy an obdII Bluetooth adapter for $20. You not only get codes scanned, but also lots of useful information to help diagnosis.
+1 for Torque
But watch out for the cheap $20 dongles. Lots of people have problems with them.