Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-03-2007, 01:20 PM

Default 18v cordless drill Rigid vs. Ryobi vs. Dewalt

Coming from an incredibly old sears craftsman 9.6v cordless drill, it was definitely time to replace it. I was set on the ryobi 18v hammer drill at $69 because it was rated well, and I'd used a friends drill a while back and it seemed thousands of times better than I expected. But then you add a $20 charger, and $39 batteries and I decided to move up to the Rigid 18 volt non-hammer drill with 2 lithium ion batteries, a 1 hour charger, and lifetime warrenty for $179. The ryobi only had a 1 year warrenty. I've never had to drill into concrete, so I don't see the need for that. Now I'm looking after the fact to get reviews on the 18v drills: Did I make the wise decision or a bad one? How are the Rigid drills overall?
Any thoughts? Should I head right back and get a different one?
Thanks!
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Below Wholesale

I run the 18v XRP dewalts. Currently about 6 tools. I have no complaints other than as soon as I bought mine the higher voltage ones came out. The 18v dewalt tool selection is the best I believe?
Whats exactly covered in Rigid's warranty? The biggest problem I have had of any cordless tool is shot batteries. Your batteries are about 1/2 as much as mine.. It would be neat to do a "shootout" between them.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Batteries are supposedly covered. You have to register serial numbers of the batteries, charger, and drill, and send a copy of the reciept in to qualify for the warrenty.

Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Buy RED go with Milwaukee.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM

You know, thinking about it I'm thinking I should return the rigid and go with the ryobi. Out of all the tools, cordless drills are the most likely to be dropped, damaged, etc. I'm sure the warrenty doesn't cover dropping it from the second floor while repairing the gutters. Would I rather be out 190 bucks or 80 bucks? Maybe I'll go with the ryobi and call it a day. Save some cash.
--Bob

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Well Bob, I bought the 18v Ryobi kit with drill, sawzall, circular saw, vacuum, light, charger and 2 batteries. Replacement batterries are 2/$40 at HD. I'm a homeowner/hobbiest so I don't use these tools hard every day but they have served me very well when needed. I think Ryobi gives you a very good bang for your buck. Let us know what you decide.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911man View Post
Well Bob, I bought the 18v Ryobi kit with drill, sawzall, circular saw, vacuum, light, charger and 2 batteries. Replacement batterries are 2/$40 at HD. I'm a homeowner/hobbiest so I don't use these tools hard every day but they have served me very well when needed. I think Ryobi gives you a very good bang for your buck. Let us know what you decide.
Unless you were using the tool daily. I would save your money and go with the Ryobi. I have DeWalt 18V tools and I use the 1/2" drill daily in the shop nice tool the other 18V tools I have because I have the $$$ invested in the batteries already. But for the home and hobby Ryobi should do you fine.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Curmudgeon

The best thing about the Ryobi is the price of the battery paks. I have used the same 4 for well over a year and when it comes time to replace them it will cost just a little more to replace all 4 of them than to buy 1 Milwaukee or Dewalt. The second best thing is the impact driver for another $69. One of the handiest tools for the money I have ever owned.
None of them are industrial grade but then very few "industrial grade" tools really are either, anymore. I have been very surprised and pleased with the performance of my Ryobi stuff.
I think you'll be happy with them, Bob.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Bob, one of the maintenance crews in our county school system use Ryobi drills. they spend their entire day, all year, installing blinds, shelving, metal racks and cabinets. They told me they like their Ryobi stuff just fine and cheap batteries were a big reason. They also have to purchase their own tools as they are a contract team.

Teacher
Old 07-03-2007, 07:55 PM

i have the dewalt 18v just because they were on sale for $119 with the case, charger and 2 batteries. no complaints, so far.
Ike