Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Elite Member

Default Diesel Exhaust-Exhaust Fan

I need to make a fan that will remove exhaust from a building with a tractor running in it. The building is not exactly enclosed, but it will get black on the inside, especially from startups. The tractor runs for 15 out of 20 minutes, several hours at a time. It's also parked in there when not running.

A couple of questions right now.

The tractor is a 240 HP 7.5L diesel. Typical RPM's are below 1800. how many CFM is that?

What kinda way can I turn it off when not needed? Have a remote wired to the tractor, that when it's energized, the fan will run? Photo eyes won't work, as it's also parked there when not running.

Does this have to be spark proof, explosion proof, or whatever? Again, its an open building, a roof and 2-1/2 sides, so not a stale air environment.

Would a fan like this work? With an inline kit to facilitate mounting it. Again, wondering how many CFM I will need. http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?CategoryID=505

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3TR23

I'm not going for 100% removal here, but the bulk of it would be nice. Just park the tractor infront of the inlet and have the blower turn on.

I have a couple of Broan 900 CFM fans that run 24/7/365, and they do wear out after a few years, so that my reason for wanting to turn it off when not needed.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
More STEAM!!

Would a length of metal flex pipe, like would be used on a clothes dryer, work?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Yes it would, Charlie. I have seen shops do that for big trucks and tractors before. They had flex hoses that went on the pipes and they were fed to basically a small exhaust fan like a bathroom would have. It was a homemade system that was very cheap and worked like a champ. Could you possibly do something like that, Bolt??

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Elite Member

Yes, something along those lines, although I want something without operator input. The tractor goes in and out of this building 10+ times a day, so it would be a pain to do things manually.

Anybody know what kinda CFM I need to be looking at to get in the ballpark?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

You wouldn't need that awful much. What if you made a box that was piped into an exhaust fan and out of the building....the box would hang a few feet above where the tractor's exhaust pipe would normally be, assuming it is in the same place most of the time. The small fan would be enough to get the exhaust moving out of the building easily in this situation.....if that would work.

Or maybe get a plain old exhaust fan...the commercial type like TSC sells or adapt a Home Depot power attic fan and vent the whole building or just one area.

I'm just throwing ideas up at you.....shoot at the ones you like. Pull!

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Elite Member

Yeah, I probably just need enough to get a negative pressure going. But I looked at some setups on the net, and they were all very large, like 5 and 10 HP blowers. But they were for several inlets, and with hose that goes around the exhaust pipe.

I'll find an idea I like sooner or later!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Made From Scratch

How good is your driver?

You could hang the flex pipe with a peice of sheet metal bent into a channel on the end so that you drive the tractor up until the stack bumps the channel, lining up the pipe. Put a photo eye on the channel so that the fan runs when the stack is against it.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Again, its an open building, a roof and 2-1/2 sides, so not a stale air environment.

Would a fan like this work? With an inline kit to facilitate mounting it. Again, wondering how many CFM I will need.
unless it is an enclosed "room" with inlet opening sizes and fans sized for your cfm exchange needs, it will be difficult at best to use any type of negative pressure ventilation. what you might be able to do would be to place a vent hood over where the stack is when the tractor is parked, and with enough inlet velocity be able to draw most of the exhaust up and out, like at a weld station in a shop. making it automated is the challenge here though. If you do end up with the hose and fan plan, make sure the fan motor is far enough down stream that the gases cool before they get there, or you may have issues with the thermal protection on the motor nuisance tripping, and you will want an enclosed motor to keep the soot out of the windings and bearings.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
That HURT!

A 7.5L engine @1800RPM is moving 468CFM of air.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

How high is your ceiling?
In Chicago they have what they call “transfer stations” for the garbage trucks. The trucks that make the pick up come into the buildings and just unload onto the floor, and drive off. Then an end loader scoops it up to load a semi for the trip to the dump.
Standard 20 foot inside height. Engines never shut down.
They do have what the call “smoke exhausts” that are just a 36 inch fan blowing up through a power lifted top. Maybe 6 in a 50x150 foot building.
Commercial made unit. I have seen them in shopping malls, as well. No idea the mfg’s name.
But the guys in Chicago only use them on the hottest summer days.
With big doors open at both ends and open windows at the top of the walls it seems good enough for them.
They did have those vinyl strip drive through doors at each end, but I have never seen them across the doorway.