Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

Default Need ideas for benefit auction

My wife and mother in-law have asked me to make a dozen or so of something that can be auctioned off at a benefit. I guess the benefit is to help the parents of a 4 year old girl who has already received some sort of very expensive cancer treatment. It has been several months since the procedure, and I guess the prognosis for total recovery looks promising at this time. This procedure was only partially covered by insurance because of some sort of lifetime limit on insurance payout amount. Right now the family is going through a rough period financially, and the creditors have taken most everything from them that they could not resume payments on..................sad.

Anyway's, I was thinking of making a horseshoe crab pot holder, but there are a lot of small parts to be made. I know the steel or copper roses would fetch some money, but for me they are quite tedious to make, and like the crabs, have a lot of parts. Anyone have any ideas of something that can be made fairly quick. I don't mind if I need to buy things to make this stuff. But chances are I will have most anything in that shop of mine........rarely is anything tossed. I did suggest to my wife that instead of going through all of the work, just give a sizable cash donation, or bid a sizable amount on something at the auction. Sometimes I think that even though people mean well, there gets to be too large of a collection of junk, and all they get is minimum, or no bids. She told me to take my lazy cap off, and put on the thinking one..............thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 PM
trust but verify

Horseshoe art etc seems to move well. Just Google Image search various metal art to see what looks good to you.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Elite Member

Thanks monckywrench,

I guess if I am going to make something I should focus on the horseshoes. I have quite a few of them that were left by a person who was moving and just wanted to be rid of them.

I did find one little craft idea using the shoes. It is a portablr coat hanger with the ends of the shoes bent up, and the shoe welded to a piece of 3/8" square stock with a bend on the end for hanging.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Curmudgeon

Pat, somebody made a nice doorknocker using a horseshoe & a railroad spike.
I thought it was Charlie C but didn't turn it up in a search.
Maybe he or whoever it was will come along.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

Cutter,

That is a great idea. I remember seeing something posted about a horseshoe knocker at one time, but forget where I seen it. I did a Google and came up with some plain to fancy ones, but nothing showed about the one we are thinking of. Sometimes the threads from here (SFT) will show on searches...............thanks, I will keep the knocker in mind.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Standard of Excellence

If you click on my name then look at my album there are a couple of little cat cutouts that I did a while back. They were made out of 16 gauge or so and just bent by hand. Color and paint as you see fit.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Pat, I even found the thread where Charlie was rounding up his railroad spikes but still can't find the one where he posted the results.

Walker, I thought of those little cats; I was a fan of them.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Elite Member

Walker,

Those cats are kind of neat. When you said cut out by hand, were you referring to plasma cutting. I have a cutter, but to get the fine lines that you achieved I wonder if I would need to get the fine cut kit for my Hypertherm Powermax 1000. It presently cuts a kerf in say 3/8" plate that is approx 1/16" at the lowest setting I can go and still achieve a good cut. Maybe if I set it high and move quick I can keep the kerf size down.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Director of Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
. Sometimes I think that even though people mean well, there gets to be too large of a collection of junk, and all they get is minimum, or no bids.
I had this happen to me a couple of times. Once I forged a nice set of fireplace tools with stand for a hospitals chinese auction fund raiser. They set it in amongst the other donations such as a case of Pepsi, boom boxes, etc, and someone got it for less than $100.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
better w/bacon

I made a coffee table actually made two using used horse shoes, but is a PITA because the shoes need to be similar in size so as to have a square table, the legs were three shoes tall not including the top band. For the top I used ~7 red wood fencing boards w/three cross pcs glued underneath w/clear coat, shoes were painted barn red primer. The easiest is to use new shoes which I purchased a 50# box from the farrier supply in the next town over, I think they were $1.05 ea after the smoke cleared. I also made a quilt rack and a T-paper dispenser(which is the only thing I have a pic of, but I can get a pic of one of the quilt racks if your interested. I can take another pic of the T-paper disp. to show the top a bit better if necessary.
Good luck
L*S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198 .JPG
Views:	152
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	76167