Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2005, 01:41 AM
widetrackman widetrackman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ms (near memphis)
Posts: 219
Default Drill press arbor/chuck ?

I have a Craftsman 17" drill press that has not had a lot of use , but noticed that the chuck has some slack (when tight) between the arbor seat and the chuck its self. The chuck is only marked RJ3 16L (no name) ? chicom. Was thinking about changing to a Jacops super chuck but dont know the following; 1( the taper in the quill, 2( is the arbor removable from the chuck, 3( really dont know how to do this. Any help from you guys would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2005, 01:57 AM
cutter's Avatar
cutter cutter is offline
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lubbock,Texas
Posts: 31,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrackman
Any help from you guys would be great. Thanks.
Widetrack,
I suspect you could help a whole bunch by posting some pictures of the quill/chuck/arbor.
__________________
cutter
Housekeeping Staff: the Gatekeeper
Director of Policy, Syntax and Grammar (by appointment)

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 17,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrackman
1( the taper in the quill,
90% chance it is a JT3 taper (JT=Jacobs taper); 9.99% it is a JT33 0.01% it is something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrackman
2( is the arbor removable from the chuck,
All chucks are removable, typically you would use a tapered dog to remove them a U shaped wedge where the top or points of the U are the thin edge of the wedge and the bottom of the U is the fat part of the wedge.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Arbo's Avatar
Arbo Arbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mt. Pleasant Mills, PA
Posts: 309
Default

Your spindle will be one of two things. First, try extending the spindle of the drill press all the way out. If the spindle has a notch cut through it, it has a morse taper internal taper. In this case, insert a drift into that notch and give it a light whack with a mallet. Be ready to catch the chuck and morse arbor so it doesnt fall on your toes. Second, the spindle may have a male jacobs taper machined directly on the end. In this case, you must drive a wedge between the top of the chuck, and the drill press quill. They make chuck removal wedges for thsi purpose. They are available from Grainger, MSC, etc. They are relatively inexpensive. Im with Shade, guessing that it will be either a Jacobs 3 or 33 taper. If you have slop between the spindle and the chuck, that tells me that there is a good chance that the taper may be b1tched up. If the female taper on the chuck is bad, replace the whole chuck. If it is the male taper on the end of the spindle, good luck is all I can say. Once you get it apart, check back here for some reassembly tips.
__________________
Arbo and Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
The next loud noise you hear is me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Franz Franz is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,731
Default

I work my fingers off here, and you guys don't do your homework.
All taper sizes are available on ShopFloorTalk unlike the intelectual web site
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
cutter's Avatar
cutter cutter is offline
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lubbock,Texas
Posts: 31,539
Default

But we do so appreciate your tenacity.
__________________
cutter
Housekeeping Staff: the Gatekeeper
Director of Policy, Syntax and Grammar (by appointment)

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
bgott bgott is offline
Trailers for sale or rent
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX.
Posts: 1,574
Default

He said Craftsman, guys. Open up the chuck and look up inside. There might be a screw in the chuck to lock it in place. Like the screw they use to lock the threaded chucks on a hand drill.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 PM
7018's Avatar
7018 7018 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SnakeBite Al.
Posts: 2,992
Send a message via Yahoo to 7018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgott
He said Craftsman, guys. Open up the chuck and look up inside. There might be a screw in the chuck to lock it in place. Like the screw they use to lock the threaded chucks on a hand drill.
Mine is a Craftsman and it has a removable chuck!!!!!!
__________________
This post brought to you by the bringer of chaos, doom, change, and technology... Asker of questions, challenger of assumptions, solver of problems and share-er of ideas
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:44 PM
bgott bgott is offline
Trailers for sale or rent
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX.
Posts: 1,574
Default

Don't get me wrong, Craftsman has a lot of good tools. I get their Tool Club flyers and buy stuff out of them occationally. However, Sears doesn't build the stuff, they contract it out, and they change models on a regular basis. I have seen some really cheesy stuff wearing the Craftsman name. They also have regular old Craftsman, Craftsman Commercial and Craftsman Industrial. If he has a regular Craftsman I'll bet it stands a good chance of having a different chuck arrangement than a Industrial. And that might change the next catalog cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 PM
widetrackman widetrackman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ms (near memphis)
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
Widetrack,
I suspect you could help a whole bunch by posting some pictures of the quill/chuck/arbor.
Cutter, Ive got a good digital camera and can get the pic's on my computer, but beyond that, well ??? not much of a computer guy, just surf the net. If there's a simple way maybe the wife could set me up, she's a little smarter at computers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.