Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Gold Star Dad

Potato shotgun is pretty cool. Someone brought around a bag of small, new potatoes. Tater Tot buckshot. Pretty funny to see.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 PM
The Real Deal

acetylene also works
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

A Freon tank with a three foot barrel (2" dia.) has about a 150 yard range, with apples. At one place I worked, they made a cannon out of pipe which had a 3/4" wall thickness. With oxy/accet. it would shoot a water filled soda can 200 yards. They got so they were fairly accurate with it.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
Explosive potato guns work with hair spray, and I suppose starting fluid. You just need a BBQ igniter. (So I am told). Don't try this at home.
The explosive guns work with almost any atomized hydrocarbon as fuel. The air/fuel mix is optimally somewhere between the lower explosive limit (LEL), and the upper explosive limit (UEL). Hairspray is relatively cheap and is widely available.

It doesn't hurt that hairspray is typically regarded as perfectly benign..... Great for a clandestine fuel stash. Some lady friends might wonder why a guy has 3 or 4 cans behind the seat of his work truck when she can't make him comb his hair though.

A long time ago, in a not so far away land, I saw a couple made with the rotating bur/flint BBQ lighters. They would launch a fist size potato just over 100 yards. FWIW, a fist size raw potato makes a splat 3' in diameter on a flat wall.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Auction Addict

I do remember making a marble gun back in the mid 60s. Asked Dad to drill a small hole in the end of a 1/2" pipe cap. He asked why and I said to make a water pistol. Never did tell him that we used cherry bombs and the hole was for the fuse.

That gun would put a marble through a 3/4" board at 30'. All of us kids were already shooting guns before we were 10 years old so knew what to expect. Funny part was about a week after we built it we asked for more marbles as we had lost too many playing marbles.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

Nice work on that blaster Chris.

Over the years, like 40 now, I've gotten away from using anything but air for potato cannons. I never liked the idea of making an actual fire breathing cannon out of pvc pipe to begin with. The downside to using a gas propellant to launch bait is the residuals left on the bait from the hydrocarbons. Too easy to foul the bait making it less likely to be a meal by a fish.

Fast forward a few years found me using potato guns to launch surf casting weights and hooks with bait. Having one stable will have you launching bait a good 150 to 200 yards easily. Way further than you can with a long ass surf rod.

One thing I started using at the beginning when I went to air was the use of the electrical valves used for sprinkler systems. These valves are simple and can use batter power to open. When they open it's a dump type opening, allowing all of my on board air to go at one time. And yes, I do have onboard pressure relief valves to keep things below the operating limits of extra heavy wall PVC. Although, it will soon be an after thought for the pvc tank as my next generation tanks are made of carbon fibre.

Depending on the pressure I add to my onboard tanks can make a difference of several hundred yards for specific distances needed.

Now, back to the subject, the tire expander I made has about the same look at those bought commercially and as I seldom feel the need to do my own tire work, it is something I have at the ready for use. I think the last time was popping a rear tire on one of my SA's. Saved me from loading and unloading that thing off the tractor.

Very handy if you do your own work. Quicker than using ratchet straps.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!