Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Updates:
I see there is another 2000i thread here:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ighlight=2000i

I see that the newer generators in the store lack the priming bulb and also the 12V output.

I received the following via private email, and the author gave me permission (suggested in fact) that I add it to this thread:
In the winter, when I purchased my used Honeywell 2000i, it ran fine. However, when summer came around it would only run for 9
Minutes at a time. After that much time, give or take a minute or two, it would shut off just like someone hit the kill switch. There was no spark after this occurred. After I let it set for a few hours it would start and run just fine for 9 minutes, and then it would die. Something was obviously heat sensitive.

I watched to see if the overload LED or low oil LED could provide some insights. I started it, and was powering a 1500w portable heater – so I knew it was not overloaded. At about the 9-10 minute mark, just as it died, the overload LED flickered a couple of times. But, the low oil light never flickered.
My Honeywell 2000i generator must be made around 2009 or after because it does not have the priming bulb, which was eliminated on the more recent models.

First I replaced the spark plug since that is easy and inexpensive. That did not cure the problem. Then I followed your instructions for how to “get her clothes off” and tried disconnecting the low oil level sending unit. I thought maybe it is getting hot and sending the kill signal. The unit WILL run with the low oil level sending wire disconnected, but it did not solve my problem.

My next thought was to replace the coil, and this fixed the problem. I ordered the replacement by calling 1-888-494-3571, as listed in the Owner’s Manual, and the part, per the manual, is called “Ignition Coil” with the Part Number 101618A. The big surprise was that the coil was only about $25. I was fearing a much larger price tag. A photo of the coil assembly is attached.
Hopefully my experience will help the next fellow.

Thank you for the step-by-step instructions on getting into the generator. It was very helpful and provided me with the confidence to dig deep enough to be successful with my repair.
I will have to link the picture into when I am where I can access my smugmug account.

Last edited by Kevbo; 07-11-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Default Honeywell 2000i runs but does not produce electricity

I recently made a bad decision to use my Honeywell to “flash jump” another generator. Not only did it not help the other generator, now the Honeywell no longer produces electricity. The green indicator light for visual indication of power production no longer lights. The outlets are dead and the circuit breaker is not tripped. Any ideas?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM

Default flash jump

go out and buy that Honda that you wished for..sounds like you killed the Honeywell inverter module..not cost effective to fix..sell the leftover Honeywell guts on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I recently made a bad decision to use my Honeywell to “flash jump” another generator. Any ideas?