Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default media blaster selection help

I am looking to purchase a media/sand blaster. THe immediate need is to blast the frame of my truck and it will see other uses beyond that I am sure as I very seldom use anything that is new. I have one of the siphon guns from TSC that looks like a paint sprayer http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmar...laster-3907845 and was completely disappointed in its performance - wouldn't even blast paint off an old set of leaf springs, much less the rust. I also have one of the gravity fed guns http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-h...gun-95793.html from HF and have had only marginally better success with that. Maybe it is my technique? I am using new black beauty 40 grit media.

My budget is fairly limited - probably around $200 or so. Unless you guys/gals convince me otherwise. I have been eyeballing the pressure fed units from HF/TSC/Northern Tools http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmar...pacity-3999698 and all of them seem to have mixed reviews.

What say you?

*edit - forgot to add my compressor is rated at 18 cfm at 90 psi
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabull View Post
I am using new black beauty 40 grit media.

What say you?

*edit - forgot to add my compressor is rated at 18 cfm at 90 psi
ditch the black beauty.

Kiddi play sand, lowes, the kind with the kid on the front cover,

Orange and green lettering, semi clear bag.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Also remember in that budget a respirator or fresh air system . Silicosis isnt something to play with . I also use the kiddie sand and have been happy with it . The main issue with any of the " cheap pressure pots " is you need to have dry air otherwise you are going to be clearing cloggs as much as you will be sand blasting . You need to add some type of moisture filter to your airline going to the pressure blaster .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
THe immediate need is to blast the frame of my truck
Chris, trying to blast a truck frame with anything less than a mini-monster compressor(10 hp +) and a good sized tip and sand supply, will be an exercise in patience.

Best bang for your buck, time and expense totalled, would be to take the frame and have it blasted.

Using my shop compressor of 7 1/2 hp I can cycle using the blast cabinets, but I cannot use it for the syphon sandblast tank on wheels with a tip large enough to make any headway on something as large as a frame. The compressor will not keep up for that. And, your not going to see much more than a matter of sq inches(if per minute) headway.

Not knowing what sized air supply you have, I hope you can see what I'm saying.

You'll also have problems with moisture unless you've got that covered as well.

Good luck.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Blast this!

I don't know in your area. That frame is about $200.00 for me to do. For any of the little pressure units plan on 20-25cfm otherwise it is hurry up and wait. 25 cfm will drive a 1/4 nozzel or a 3/16 depending on the book you go by.If you use sand PLEASE have a great mask with air (more CFM0 You are to young for COPD .I either use sand or crushed glass.Glass because the local recycling center has it cheap.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Blast this!

Craislist,they are on ours all the time.Usually after the 1st job they were used on. Moma says to messy ,can't stand the dust,To slow . Taks a special person to stand there and enjoy doing that line of work.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Maine-iac

problem with having it done by someone, is that it is a daily driver. If I could find someone who could do it in 8 hrs, I could possibly drop it off one day since I work nights. Problem is I don't know anyone who blasts around here.....but I haven't looked real hard either.

My compressor is rated at 18 SCFM at 90 psi and I have an 80 gallon expansion tank, giving me 140 gallon total storage capacity. Granted it takes longer to get to pressure when the compressor cycles, but it doesn't cycle as often.

I have plenty of patience....when you work with a limited budget you get used to working in fits and starts

Today a friend stopped by and paid me some long over due money so I am now ready to pull the trigger on buying the TSC pressure pot unit. Just not sure if it is going to be worth it or not. The reviews are rather mixed. I am going to try and restrain myself until Monday to mull things over...
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
The Real Deal

Without a dished top that blaster is a pain to fill other than that they work well
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Maine-iac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
ditch the black beauty.

Kiddi play sand, lowes, the kind with the kid on the front cover,

Orange and green lettering, semi clear bag.
Does it work better? I have a high quality respirator I can wear with using sand (3M full face mask kind) but I would need to get the proper filters for it.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

One other option that none of us have tossed out yet would be to check pricing on renting a pull behind engine driven compresssor and blaster ( at least for doing the frame ) . You might spend less initially and actually get the frame done in 8 hours .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .