Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-22-2017, 12:36 AM

I'm not all that familiar with Chrysler but with Ford and GM relieving fuel pressure is a quick way to reset the entire fuel system. Any chance you experienced some drastic temperature changes between when it ran last and when it wouldn't start?

MetalWolf is right on about the carb cleaner. Avoid starting fluid with EFI also.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Standard of Excellence

Have a helper remove the gas cap. While he is standing by the filler, move the dodge forward (push if necessary), pull a new dodge where it was parked and have the helper install the gas cap.

Last edited by Walker; 12-22-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

A good way to reset everything is disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. This allows the caps in the various computers to drain down and get to factory default.
I keep my Dodge Caravan in Mexico battery disconnected when I am gone, and oddly I notice greater fuel economy for the first month or so, til it relearns my driving tactics.
I have had idle surging and sometimes stumbling on the road, but this year the idle surge was too annoying to ignore, so I replaced the idle motor yesterday. Got one from NAPA and it was a 10 minute job and now it idles smooth as a watch again.
I am wondering if the idle motor has been monkeying with the fuel and air and surging as I drive and that caused the descending mileage in the past.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 12-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
A good way to reset everything is disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. This allows the caps in the various computers to drain down and get to factory default.
I keep my Dodge Caravan in Mexico battery disconnected when I am gone, and oddly I notice greater fuel economy for the first month or so, til it relearns my driving tactics.
I have had idle surging and sometimes stumbling on the road, but this year the idle surge was too annoying to ignore, so I replaced the idle motor yesterday. Got one from NAPA and it was a 10 minute job and now it idles smooth as a watch again.
I am wondering if the idle motor has been monkeying with the fuel and air and surging as I drive and that caused the descending mileage in the past.
most likely IAC motor was not bad a Bad IAC motor usually will either crank and you get ignition few seconds of run and then die out...or it will run a little bit and then die and you will have to keep starting it in the course of your trip from point a to point b.....You most likely need a good throttle body cleaning which includes cleaning the IAC And Mass airflow especially if your running fuels in Mexico LOL.....Do you ever smell odd smells from the exhaust ??
around here you can tell whos been to Mexico and how far in they have been by the way their exhaust burn smells like heavy kerosene
now if all the symptoms have been checked and issue still remains you will have to do further testing start at plug connection bent prong not making connection in the IAC TPS MAFS and wires going to sensors for brakes shorts etc. if all else fails and issues remain start looking at the ECM

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-