Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 PM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 9,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Make that absolutely never ever no way nada nope. Defrauding the DOD just does not seem to be the thing to do at my age.
There is no “defrauding”, at times, there may be, according to some, some creative cost accounting (based on charging off tooling and consumables, used to make the part, then retaining the tools and remaining consumables, after the job is finished), but he could not get the parts made for what I charge, from anyone else, plus he get me install the parts and actually make the stuff work.
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-23-2017, 09:53 PM
terry lingle's Avatar
terry lingle terry lingle is offline
Something's Fishy ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Birch Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,601
Default

When special tooling material or fixturing is needed for a job it is discussed with the customer as follows:
I need to purchase /make this in order to do your project . it will be done at your cost and will be mine once the job is completed but always available for any of your future jobs. I have never had a customer issue with this from a professional customer. private individuals usually decline and either thake the project to kamloops (135 KM away) or get a phone quote.
Quite often they come back and I do the job on my terms.
I am not doing this to gouge the customer but I want a cash profit for my time and effort. I also point out to the customer that if the previous customer has supplied a special tool I use on his job there is no extra charge. I stock and supply required inserts for the tooling in the future.
__________________
Life beats the alternative hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Pat's Avatar
Pat Pat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,795
Default

Well Jef,

You have me sold on one of these little bad boy 1/4" drive Milwaukee ratchets. I think they would be so much better than a corded or air powered version. I have been using my air powered one quite a bit, but sometimes it is frustrating trying to get it positioned just right because of the air hose. I told my wife that I would like to have one of the Milwaukee ratchets for my upcoming birthday on Dec 29th, but I am unsure which version to ask for.

One model has brushes, and the other is brushless. The brushless version costs approximately 1/3 more than the model with brushes. I have never had any brushless electric tools, so I have no idea if the brushless model would be worth the extra money. Not knowing anything about brushless electric tools, I would assume that there is some benefit of a brushless version over that of one with brushes just for the fact that they are asking more money for them, but it beats the heck out of me what the advantages would be. If a motor has brushes they can be replaced, but if it doesn't have brushes and it takes a dump, can it be repaired by replacing whatever they are using to make it brushless? I would appreciate any information that would help me decide which one to ask for.............thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-24-2017, 07:49 AM
rmack898's Avatar
rmack898 rmack898 is offline
That HURT!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southernmost NJ
Posts: 3,911
Default

Pat I can't comment on the inner workings of brushed/brushless tools but i can tell you this: I have the same yellow tool in both brushed and brushless versions. The brushless tool is about 1/3 smaller and maybe a little bit more than 1/3 more powerful, not to mention quite a bit lighter in weight.

In actual use I think the brushless tool is well worth the additional cost.
__________________
Mac
___________________________________________
One extremely happy (but now prospering) lucky bastard Years ago, I might have been called a patriot, tomorrow, I might be called a criminal.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 AM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
SFT Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Well Jef,

You have me sold on one of these little bad boy 1/4" drive Milwaukee ratchets. I think they would be so much better than a corded or air powered version. I have been using my air powered one quite a bit, but sometimes it is frustrating trying to get it positioned just right because of the air hose. I told my wife that I would like to have one of the Milwaukee ratchets for my upcoming birthday on Dec 29th, but I am unsure which version to ask for.

One model has brushes, and the other is brushless. The brushless version costs approximately 1/3 more than the model with brushes. I have never had any brushless electric tools, so I have no idea if the brushless model would be worth the extra money. Not knowing anything about brushless electric tools, I would assume that there is some benefit of a brushless version over that of one with brushes just for the fact that they are asking more money for them, but it beats the heck out of me what the advantages would be. If a motor has brushes they can be replaced, but if it doesn't have brushes and it takes a dump, can it be repaired by replacing whatever they are using to make it brushless? I would appreciate any information that would help me decide which one to ask for.............thanks.
Pat the brushless Milwaukee’s are sold as “fuel” brand tools. They have better battery life, more power and are more compact than their brushed counter parts. The Milwaukee fuel tools are amazing. I bought a 3/8” drive fuel impact three years ago and since then 6 other people in the shop have purchased them. They are significantly better than any other offering.


I’m hoping Santa brings me a ratchet or a 1/4” driver.
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-24-2017, 11:44 AM
LW Hiway's Avatar
LW Hiway LW Hiway is offline
Lord of the Minions
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indian Bayou and Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 20,224
Default

Quote:
There is no “defrauding”, at times, there may be, according to some, some creative cost accounting
In no way shape or form would I have intended any such thing in your direction. My response was only from and for me as I work for that entity.

In a more professional setting where these tools may be found in use, probably the Fuel brushless models would be more suited, but from the different models in use at work I think either brushless or brushed would come in handy from what I'm seeing while I use them in that arena.

I have yet had time to see what is offered in yellow or any of the other brands out there, but for now, Red looks just fine in my stable and see much use.
__________________
God, if you would grant me one request through Prayer, please help me be the Man my Dog thinks I am. Please.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Pat's Avatar
Pat Pat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,795
Default

Thank you for all the information. It appears that the extra cost for the brushless version will pay for itself because of less frequent battery replacements, and also because of more power some jobs may be less time consuming. Also, I don't believe that I will need to purchase a backup battery because for most things that I would use it for, one battery charge would be sufficient for most tasks. Four days left to get it on my birthday wish list. Looks like Home Depot is the only place that has it in stock in my area.............thanks again and Merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-25-2017, 12:24 PM
BukitCase BukitCase is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 929
Default

Pat, not exactly off topic but I use these
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...tor-68196.html
for air tools where hoses get in the way; helps quite a bit - for "occasional" hose probs I keep one set up with male/female QD's . Takes a bit more room that way but still helps... Steve
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-25-2017, 12:58 PM
LW Hiway's Avatar
LW Hiway LW Hiway is offline
Lord of the Minions
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indian Bayou and Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 20,224
Default

BC, they do help in some cases and I've got several for the tighter places and pneumatics. The pinky catches hell though. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knuckles.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	142709  
__________________
God, if you would grant me one request through Prayer, please help me be the Man my Dog thinks I am. Please.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:58 PM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 9,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
BC, they do help in some cases and I've got several for the tighter places and pneumatics. The pinky catches hell though. lol

I have them on about 10 different air tools, work great, but as said, severe finger pinchers.
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.