Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 18,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
We run a 250 and 290 sthil ,mostly for limbing .For cutting down it is a 572 xp
Husky or a 2520 Jonsered . Spitting and all my son and I plan 4 hours for 2
cord . This year cutting mostly blow down so a lot slower ,due to safety
concerns .Buy 1 good saw Medium size 55-60 cc as the Husky ,smoking
Dodges 461 and shades 660 will get heavy as you tire .
I would
recommend a poulon as a second saw if you are unlucky and get one hung
up .Just do Windy trick and buy a 20" and downgrade the bar and chain to 16
or 18 .
I gotta agree, the MS 660 will wear your ass out, it is a big powerful saw. My
old Stihl 039 (64.1 cc) saw is my work horse go to saw. I had a guy open up
the MS 290 I picked up cheap and it runs almost as good as the stock 039.
You can run those 2 saws all day. The MS 390 (039) saw is the same chassis
as the smaller MS 290, you move up to the 400's and you jump a chassis size
and add weight. But there are jobs I have where the MS 660 is needed. You
know it is a big tree when you bury a 42 inch bar in the trunk 3 feet up off the
ground.

The MS gets used for big trees and milling. It is a lot of money for an
occasional use saw. But that was part of my Christmas bonus at a previous
job.

I'd be interested in how the saw in the box, works out for you. $200 for a big
saw might be worth the risk.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 18,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
I have a fleet of Stihl saws to work with from a cordless 200, to a 440mag, and pole saws, about 12 all together.

Oh, how I miss my Dolmars. Huskies too !
Blasphemer!!!
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-31-2017, 02:18 PM
Samcord Samcord is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Peoria
Posts: 1,693
Default

It seems that Dolmars are now labeled Makita, just like Dixon mowers are labeled Husqy.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-31-2017, 02:46 PM
nuf345's Avatar
nuf345 nuf345 is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: new zealand
Posts: 1,080
Default

I've got a 65cc makita chainsaw I'm quite impressed with it ,lots of power but it is a big saw .There are two breeds of Makita saws ,one is made in the makita factory and is labeled Makita the other is labeled a Makita DCS [Dolmar chainsaw] and is made in their factory
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-31-2017, 03:13 PM
Windy_Acres's Avatar
Windy_Acres Windy_Acres is offline
Chairman of the Headboard
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 5,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
It seems that Dolmars are now labeled Makita, just like Dixon mowers are labeled Husqy.
Yes, I believe Makita, bought Dolmar, but they are still selling Dolmars. I bought a new limb saw not long ago.

On a related, but not related note, I went from running Huskys largest commercial Zero turn, to a diesel Hustler, what an epic piece of shit that thing is. Im guessing the Husky I was running was a Dixon, built like a brick shit house, and serviceable, and probably half the price.
__________________
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars, Oak tree you're in my way....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NorthCentral Wisconsin
Posts: 951
Default

I run a Jonsered 670 champ, and a couple years ago I picked up a Husky 472xp both nice saws, I like the 2171 Jonsereds my buddies run as well. I'm not a fan of the excess noise and vibration put out by the Stihls I've used, although I know they are quite popular. Every Dolmar I've ever picked up was a cold blooded bitch to get started, but not a terrible saw after that.
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-31-2017, 04:31 PM
Windy_Acres's Avatar
Windy_Acres Windy_Acres is offline
Chairman of the Headboard
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 5,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Every Dolmar I've ever picked up was a cold blooded bitch to get started, but not a terrible saw after that.
Odd, this what I like about them, damn things start and run !!!

As far as running observations, it appears to me the Stihls Im running, 025's 250s, 310s and a ( corrected ) 460, all seem to run to fast.

Dont know if its the oak Im in mostly, or what, but the chains seems to " cavitate " not what the right word is, but its like the chain is running too fast to cut, slow the saw down, and it cuts fine.

I find the chain, the huskys/dolmars run is much friendlier with the sharpener Im using. That is to say, my chips are more like streamers with the Oregon chain full chisel, than the OE Stihl full chisel chains, I can not get them as sharp, with the same tool ( timberline sharpener ). On the other hand, I think I might be getting more run time on the stihl chains, but i really dont know !
__________________
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars, Oak tree you're in my way....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-31-2017, 04:44 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 9,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
As far as running observations, it appears to me the Stihls Im running, 025's 250s, 310s and a ( corrected ) 460, all seem to run to fast.

Dont know if its the oak Im in mostly, or what, but the chains seems to " cavitate " not what the right word is, but its like the chain is running too fast to cut, slow the saw down, and it cuts fine.
Same here, I tried one of those "13k rpm " faster is better saws.
Seemed to buzz my hands bad, and I figured the saw is bouncing in the cut
(the cavitation you wrote of) It could a simple as the chain
can't unbend fast enough coming off the nose sprocket.

I like my old Mac...Like a Harley, hard to start, loud and heavy.

But slower speed, and plenty enough torque for me.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 18,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Odd, this what I like about them, damn things start and run !!!

As far as running observations, it appears to me the Stihls Im running, 025's 250s, 310s and a ( corrected ) 460, all seem to run to fast.

Dont know if its the oak Im in mostly, or what, but the chains seems to " cavitate " not what the right word is, but its like the chain is running too fast to cut, slow the saw down, and it cuts fine.

I find the chain, the huskys/dolmars run is much friendlier with the sharpener Im using. That is to say, my chips are more like streamers with the Oregon chain full chisel, than the OE Stihl full chisel chains, I can not get them as sharp, with the same tool ( timberline sharpener ). On the other hand, I think I might be getting more run time on the stihl chains, but i really dont know !
Check the depth gauges on the chain, I bet your predecessor never filed them.
Also make sure you are running full chisel chain.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Windy_Acres's Avatar
Windy_Acres Windy_Acres is offline
Chairman of the Headboard
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 5,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Check the depth gauges on the chain, I bet your predecessor never filed them.
Also make sure you are running full chisel chain.
I bought about $600 of new OE full chisel chains ( yellow )

I pitched all the used chains, because they where more than half gone.
__________________
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars, Oak tree you're in my way....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.