Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Cordless Ratchets anyone?

We've had the 1/4" drive cordless Milwaukee ratchets for several years now at work. So much easier to use than the pneumatics on the shelf and fwiw, will last through a 10 hr shift with the removal of 120 fasteners, nuts and screws, found on a pylon duct door removal as well as the assorted parts involved to get it off.

I'm so impressed with this thing that I just bought a pair of batteries and the driver. This alone ran a good $180, but I can see where it will get lots of use considering how often I use my 1/4" pneumatic ratchets around the shop etc.

But, as most of the membership here knows how easy it is to find a need while looking at shiny new toys on-line, I had hit a total at check out of $350. sigh I'm so weak. But at least not as weak as Platy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ratchet.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	142497  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Made From Scratch

DieseltechRon on youtube used to use them in all his videos working on trucks. I have been very impressed with what I've seen done with them but haven't ponied up the money for one myself yet.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Lord of the Minions

As said, I'm impressed from what I've used them on at work. Breaking nuts or bolts torqued to 200"lbs so far with no issues. I'm thinking my pneumatics in 1/4" are not up to that, if memory serves.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Milwaukee is good shit. My 1/4" impact driver on full power has pretzeled a 6" extension bar and split some sockets til I smartened up.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 12-16-2017, 08:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Milwaukee is good shit. My 1/4" impact driver on full power has pretzeled a 6" extension bar and split some sockets til I smartened up.
Unfortunately, by their own admission, these cordless hand tools, to include drill motors and screw drivers and saws etc, are not made in the USA but rather made in China "To Milwaukee's specifications".

Hopefully I'm wanting to believe the higher end of China's manf ability for quality and durability.

Quote:
I'm so impressed with this thing that I just bought a pair of batteries and the driver.
Since posting this on the 9th I've bought a few more batteries, chargers, two drill motors, two screw driver motors, a 3/8" ratchet, 1/4" and 1/2" impacts and different chargers for the different voltages in battery sizes.

I bought the first 1/4" ratchet and batteries from Northern, but later found better pricing on the rest of the items from Home Depot of all places, including batteries and chargers.

I've owned a cordless Caulking gun by Milwaukee for 15 years, bought used off Ebay and have used the crap out of it around the place. Hell, I've used the thing for grease applications where pressure found in a grease gun was not necessary.

I'm wanting to buy a cordless hand saw, but have yet to decide on a specific brand although with having all of this Milwaukee brand cordless toolage I'll probably go with Red as battery support will be a no brainer.

Suggestions otherwise?

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-17-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

To give props where due, I have a pair of Dewalt cordless drill motors and have used the crap out of them a good 12 to 15 years now. One is in need of a brush change/TLC overhaul, but otherwise never once a problem.

I cannot say the same thing for the pair of drill/driver motors I bought from Walmart of Black and Dickless. Both developed trigger switch problems within the first 10 hours of use. I have yet to find parts to repair them, but have them hanging on the wall with a noose to remind me of the quality of the POS's.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
To give props where due, I have a pair of Dewalt cordless drill motors and have used the crap out of them a good 12 to 15 years now. One is in need of a brush change/TLC overhaul, but otherwise never once a problem.

I cannot say the same thing for the pair of drill/driver motors I bought from Walmart of Black and Dickless. Both developed trigger switch problems within the first 10 hours of use. I have yet to find parts to repair them, but have them hanging on the wall with a noose to remind me of the quality of the POS's.
LW Dewalt has been for a few years now owned by Black and decker so there goes the QC the older dewalt were very good tools new ones not so much now

for the most part almost everything in some way or another is made in china now days but where the rubber hits the pavement is in the QC some companies are willing to pay for the QC and produce a good quality tool or item, and some companies are looking to produce a known name with out the QC and make a known name buck off it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-

Last edited by MetalWolf; 12-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Dewalt has been for a few years now owned by Black and decker
Was a second good reason for my going with Milwaukee. Even with them being China born. I went by reviews of others on certain websites including SFT to make the decisions.

Still making a decision on the saw though.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

i have a Milwaukee cordless hand saw,its badass.
Only think i find weird is its like a left handed saw,the blades on the other side from normal.
I have 2 sawzalls by Milwaukee,the normal big one and then a smaller one,i use them all the time.
I use the smaller one more than the big one and they have an een smaller one that would work real well inside a motorhome,in tigher spots.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Only think i find weird is its like a left handed saw,the blades on the other side from normal.
Thanks Randy.

I'm not left handed, but will find myself on the blade side of the typical saw while cutting with an added straight edge most of the time to see the blades cut. Of course doing so means I'm showered with dust and splintered bits of eye death so I wear safety glasses and a face shield.

Should I find a Milwaukee on the shelf during Xmas and for sure after, I'll pick one up.

I'm fixing to build a 5 car/truck overhand in the front of the shop out of the way and also adding 15' on the East and West sides of the pump shed as well as another 12' on it's North end.

I'm wanting to have a cordless saw for any ladder work.