Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Lord of the Minions

While I do like having a Northern Tool store here in Lake Chuck, driving up to the front of the store leaves you feeling like it's closed with little to make you think it's not.

The parking lot is most always empty and the sad and lonely log splitter covered in dust from when it was placed there, sitting locked to a concrete pillar next to the door. Probably there from the day the store opened.

On the wall isle where the cordless items are for sale, you'll find all extra stock locked behind an iron screen set of doors and what few items on view allows you no way of knowing what is in stock and what is not.

Asking for help will have you waiting until they open each iron cage and then tell you nope, out of stock.

Not one charger was to be found or a kit including a charger was found in store.

I guess that is why I opted to do the Home Depot route and just order on-line.

All ordered from Northern on-line has come in. The 1/4" ratchet was on b/o but came in yesterday a good 2 weeks sooner than the original estimated shipping.

I ordered a 4 port charger from HD which arrived but failed to see it sitting on the floor next to the Northern package.

All ordered from HD, the second order should be in tomorrow showing a 3 day free shipping which was again 2 days less than first quoted by the initial order info.

While these tools feel and allude to heft for lasting durability, they are not heavy compared to the corded or pneumatic versions.

I'll probably go with a Milwaukee cordless saw of one version or another, but still in decision mode.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I'll probably go with a Milwaukee cordless saw of one version or another, but still in decision mode.
LW... If ya ponder on it too long there might be a plastic shortage and the price might go up, Or the color could change....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 PM
That HURT!

I'm working crazy overtime this week trying to get a boat that the blue suit kids crashed before the 29th of December. I was bolting down antenna mounts last night when I remembered that we had a Milwaukee cordless ratchet in the tool room. I thought it was a piece of shit when we got it an never used it......until last night. That little sucker kicks ass for what I was doing and saved me a butt load of time.

I don't know that I would ever have a need for one in what I do at the home shop, but for what I was doing last night on the boat, it kicked ass.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I thought it was a piece of shit when we got it an never used it
I felt the same way for the first two years of seeing them used by others, sitting on the tool shelf, but never tried the use of one until that pylon work of a few weeks ago.

I guess it's that old dog new tricks thing.

But, I can say I was an instant convert over hand wrenches and ratchets and sockets. A quick convert.

All of what I wanted in Milwaukee is here in the apt with the exception of the hand saw I have to make a decision. Milwaukee has 3 different saws, each with it's own perks.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the one or the other in 6 1/2" as the 7 1/4 is heavier and more suited to full on carpentry work. For my needs I'm wanting light over heft and beef.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Lord of the Minions

Xmas comes early for me, actually, it's year round considering the other toys I seem to not be able to do without.

As I was a Dewalt guy for many years, I had a change of heart when I used the Milwaukee's at work for the first time.

It seems the boxes do not need to be wrapped as the color announces.

I still have another drill/driver in 3/8" coming in for the apt which will use one of the chargers and battery in the second pic.

Of course I'm still going to purchase a hand saw of another voltage and in time the 1/4" and 1/2" impacts as well as a 1/2" drill motor. Probably not until after the 1st.

2) screw drivers
1) 3/8" drill
1) 1/4" ratchet
1) 3/8" ratchet
6) Battery's
3) chargers
2) soft zippered carry cases for what ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171223_120132.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	142700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171223_120811.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	142701  

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-23-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Auction Addict

Mighty purdy. Is the charger capable of 4 batteries at once?

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Is the charger capable of 4 batteries at once?
It cascade charges, first one then another as you so choose, but not all at once.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
But, as most of the membership here knows how easy it is to find a need while looking at shiny new toys on-line, I had hit a total at check out of $350. sigh I'm so weak. But at least not as weak as Platy.

I’m so ashamed.......................
Old 12-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Blast this!

But Platy charges a lot of it to the company where as Jef usually doesn't .
Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
where as Jef usually doesn't
Make that absolutely never ever no way nada nope. Defrauding the DOD just does not seem to be the thing to do at my age.