Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-20-2017, 03:53 AM

When I suggested plastic for the cylinder I was thinking of a fairly thick walled pipe with the end caps held on with tie rods.

If you can only get thin walled pipe like say domestic drain pile it would be easy enough to fabricate a steel 'container' that the plastic pipe would go inside with a bit (1/2"?) of clearance, and then fill the space around the outside of the plastic pipe with concrete to stop it expanding.

I guess it's a question of how much trouble you want to go to working with materials from the big box store for a few $ against paying out more $ for more traditional cylinder materials.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Get yourself a small welding cylinder,the way they make them (saw it on TV) they may be round enough and long enough,after you cut the ends off.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:40 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Perfect!!! PM me and let me know the cost and how you want it sent.
Its on its way, should be there Saturday
Old 12-20-2017, 11:39 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob65 View Post
When I suggested plastic for the cylinder I was thinking of a fairly thick walled pipe with the end caps held on with tie rods.

If you can only get thin walled pipe like say domestic drain pile it would be easy enough to fabricate a steel 'container' that the plastic pipe would go inside with a bit (1/2"?) of clearance, and then fill the space around the outside of the plastic pipe with concrete to stop it expanding.

I guess it's a question of how much trouble you want to go to working with materials from the big box store for a few $ against paying out more $ for more traditional cylinder materials.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
The PVC will be schedule 80. Plenty strong for the max air pressure I would be using. Tie rods are what I plan on using. I will machine a groove so the pipe fits in tight. A O ring will be the seal at the bottom of the groove.

I have been known to lean towards spending more time than money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
Get yourself a small welding cylinder,the way they make them (saw it on TV) they may be round enough and long enough,after you cut the ends off.
I had thought of that but expect the inside of the cylinder would likely not be concentric or smooth enough. I have a scuba tank I could use, but no way I could turn it on the lathe to get it smooth enough. I would need a 2' long boring bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Trading is a good thing!!!

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 PM
Auction Addict

Found a cultivator disc. It is 22 1/2" diameter. Plenty large enough. Parts collection is going pretty well. Only major item is the 5" schedule 80 PVC pipe. I know a well driller that may have some remnants laying around.

I will start a new fabrication thread once I get all the parts collected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disc.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	142698  

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle

Last edited by milomilo; 12-22-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I was wrong. It arrived Saturday. Looks like just what I needed. I see there are no tapped thread holes for mounting. How do you suggest I mount it? Make a cradle of some sort and bolt the cradle to the machine frame?

I see your care package left St. Paul this afternoon.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Auction Addict

Suppose I could replace two of the allen head screws with 1/4" longer screws and mount it to a piece of angle iron?