Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

Default Pneumatic rivet gun

So I've been using an FSI hand powered, hydraulic rivet gun for a while now. It is much nicer than the standard pop rivet gun, but still gets old when you have a lot of rivets to do. I have the sheet aluminum on my flat bed held down with rivets till I get everything the way I want. I know better than to browse Craigslist and eBay but got bored and found myself perusing.

I ended up finding a pneumatic FSI rivet gun(model 100 something) with a "make offer" listing. The guy accepted my 30.00 offer and with shipping it ended up being $40. Can't wait for it to show up and try it out!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Auction Addict

I have a pneumatic type. Can't recall the brand but it is so much easier and faster than the old pop rivet squeezers. Bought it about 20 years ago to build an aluminum skinned trailer. Rivets every 2"!!!!

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Boiler God

I have a Marson, a Jet and a Chinese’s copy of the Marson, all very usable pneumatic pop rivet guns.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:15 PM

When I built my kit Cobra had to put in about 1,600 pop rivets did about 10 and then decided that I needed an air powered pop rivet gun I just went and looked it's a Jet with up to 2,000 # of pull.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 PM

There is also a Chinese drill attachment for half inch drill that makes for faster an easier pop riveting I've seen them advertised for 9 to 18 bucks
i think can be found on amazon as well.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM
That HURT!

We have a Marson at my day job. I think it was about $150 from McMaster and we use the shit out of it and it just about sailor proof.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 PM

I bought an Astro from Amazon, tested it a couple times but haven't used it on a project yet. The reviews were good.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I have the sheet aluminum on my flat bed held down with rivets till I get everything the way I want
Are you talking simple Al pull/blind rivets or rivs like cherry's(CM's) and/or Hucks?

Possibly I'm blessed() but I have Clecos of all sizes in mass qty's etc and will use these in lieu of temp studs or temp rivs due to the pre-stress of the hole in doing so.

Not that it would matter to most, I also use a suitable sealant installing the rivet/fasteners wet to avoid disem' material contact no matter Al or other.

I found a sale on the Boeing yard store for 1/4's and 5/16th, 65 lbs in each for a tenth of new.

My pullers are a CM g747 w/3 heads and a few others. I bought the 747 new 6 mos or so back. I ate bread that month......sigh

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-12-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

Honestly I can't say LW. I got some (what I believe to be) aluminum rivets in a surplus auction a while back and have been using them. A year or so ago I was working at a scrap yard and found some rivets that stay flat with the sheet surface, but I need to use a tool to camfer the hole. Those are MUCH harder to drill out. I'll try to get some pics up if I ever get some free time from work.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

Al and SS rivets are pretty easy to find. Question I have is what to use, and how to use it on a painted steel roof. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4692.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	142540