Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-21-2017, 10:29 PM

Question can you tell me what these are please

can anyone tell me what these are my brother bought these from an old friend of his..... and neither one know for sure what they are looks to me like a vise of some sort and a valve spring compressor of some sort

and i don't know for sure what they are and their use was one looks like a carpenters vise

he ask me to find out for him

Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	i0000011_8.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	142675

Name:	i0000011_5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	142676

Name:	i0000011_2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	142677

Name:	i0000011_6.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	142678

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 PM
Auction Addict

Not sure on the clamp thing, but the Wilton vise is for woodworking. Worth restoring.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-22-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Not sure on the clamp thing, but the Wilton vise is for woodworking. Worth restoring.
Can't add anything more except the Wilton is a good looking vice and definitely worth the time and effort to restore. Probably not much value involved but very handy in a shop.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:37 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

The clamp assembly is an antique Waterloo Valve Spring Compressor--dates back to the 1920s. A machinery museum near here has a couple of them...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-22-2017, 04:25 AM

Thanks LKeithR, milomilo, Rivver1

I figured it to be a valve spring compressor from around the 30s what i originally told him but he had me second guessing my self.
but still resembles valve springs compressors of the 80's i used in automotive Tech school.

My brother is a great guy but not so bright outside of his field when it come to buying things, an to be honest I'm not quite sure why he even bought this stuff other than he's close to retiring and sort of putting him his idea of a man cave together with a few collectables to look at.

He bought the Wilton vise with me in mind thinking it was something i could use, eh I'm not sure what i would do with it my self.

I don't think real value came to mind by him as collecting it for value but was concerned that he did not want to pay way too much for the stuff as some of his friends will and have taken advantage of his kindness and the fact he is not very knowledgeable about antique value it sort of his way of not loaning his friends money when they are in a bind but more of like trying to stay friends theory of his as then they don't owe him and never pay back friction issue. I guess I get his theory but not mine as we think very different when it comes to that!

I'm no expert by far but i know that some things are cool and have no real value and some things have a little value. but again the only value concern he had was, he didn't want to pay too much for stuff he just wants for décor

he did how ever come across a nice drill press vise he is going to give me cause he new i had one just like it laying in my shop which i can use although it has not been taken good care of it is prolly a workable vise to use on one of the drill presses.
but at any rate I do appreciate the ID of these pieces

Thank you

Old 12-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Gold Star Dad

Saw a couple Wilton vises just like that one that sold for $50. A woodworking bench vise can be handy.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post

I figured it to be a valve spring compressor from around the 30s what i originally told him but he had me second guessing my self.
but still resembles valve springs compressors of the 80's i used in automotive Tech school.

My brother is a great guy but not so bright outside of his field when it come to buying things, an to be honest I'm not quite sure why he even bought this stuff other than he's close to retiring and sort of putting him his idea of a man cave together with a few collectables to look at.

He bought the Wilton vise with me in mind thinking it was something i could use, eh I'm not sure what i would do with it my self.

I don't think real value came to mind by him as collecting it for value but was concerned that he did not want to pay way too much for the stuff as some of his friends will and have taken advantage of his kindness and the fact he is not very knowledgeable about antique value it sort of his way of not loaning his friends money when they are in a bind but more of like trying to stay friends theory of his as then they don't owe him and never pay back friction issue. I guess I get his theory but not mine as we think very different when it comes to that!

I'm no expert by far but i know that some things are cool and have no real value and some things have a little value. but again the only value concern he had was, he didn't want to pay too much for stuff he just wants for décor

he did how ever come across a nice drill press vise he is going to give me cause he new i had one just like it laying in my shop which i can use although it has not been taken good care of it is prolly a workable vise to use on one of the drill presses.

Thank you
I have a brother like that too. Nevertheless, he is still my brother, just not like me. Probably good he is not like me. Love him just the same.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
The clamp assembly is an antique Waterloo Valve Spring Compresso
That's what I think too.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post

Thank you
MetalWolf,

I would bet if you cleaned up the vise and got it on a bench you'll find a lot of uses for it. I've found the biggest benefit of a wood vise to be with it being even with the top of the bench. This allows the entire depth of the bench to be size of the clamping surface. On the front of the vise in your picture you can see the dog sticking up from the front jaw. On this vise it may be stuck in place from rust or other corrosion but when working it slides up and down for when it's needed and when it's not needed. Another advantage to a wood vise is in the width of the jaws. When working properly you get more surface area for clamping and you'll find you don't need to torque down on the jaws like a engineer's vise requires. --The jaws typically have wooden liners also.--

I do a lot of automotive work and the proliferation of the use of aluminum has made the engineer's vise an often unwise tool choice. The risk of damage to something like a head is too great. Too often everything is fine when working with aluminum until isn't and then it's too late. You can also clamp onto bearing surfaces if the jaws a faced with clean wooden liners. It's also inexpensive to re-face the jaws a couple of times a day if needed. Replacing the jaw faces (plates) on my engineer's vise starts at about $30. Not a lot but a lot more then the scraps of wood laying around the shop.

USMCPOP is right on. My experience with coming across these Wilton vises for sale is around $50 also. There are wood vises out there though that command much more though.

FWIW, Seems to me you've been blessed with the brother you have. Much better than one that believes what's yours is his. Being a good person is not a shortcoming.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 AM

He will be happy knowing what they are and that he has some period pieces
my brother Is a very good guy he is a person who will go out of his way to help people but that sometimes attracts the blood suckers because they see a sucker coming in their mind. he will catch on and shy away but not walk away and tell them where the rubber its the road

he usually will sort of let them back in the door so to speak one too many times until he's had enough or that person finds someone else to mooch off of.

he is in my opinion too forgiving where there is no room for it.
he and i are somewhat alike in the way we treat others family and friends
we will do for others where others wont and he has a forgiving side beyond my ability

where as I have the attitude God forgives I Don't, I am not vengeful person by any means but I have no room for forgiveness for people who take advantage of my kindness and mistake it for weakness especially those who go out of their way to Bone me and think I'm so ignorant i Don't see it coming.

I will Always have an huge amount of respect for my brother because he is the person he is.