Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Default Firewood

I’ve gone off the deep end sure, but I’m having fun!

I need to build fence. Trees are in my way. I want the trees to generate the revenue it going to cost to remove them. So far the trees are winning.

Started out with my 1935 John Deere B skidding logs. It did OK while I was playing but it did take long to shift to high gear. I pulled the forks off a bale mover and mounted a winch on the bottom for a redneck log skidder mounts on my 4320 which works really well when you have a 13,000 pound tractor with rice and cane tires. It also helps with some of the touchy tree removals to be able to winch them over.

As trees stacked up I quickly outgrew the capacity of my loader on my tractor so I bought a Gehl CTL, a rebadged takehuchi trackloader. It’s 11,000 pounds of turbo charged fucking fury. It’s truly impressive what that machine can do.

Now armed with a track loader (skid steer) I started renting attachments. The Marshall tree saw and the forestry mulcher did work that used to take me months and did them in days. Now the logs REALLY started stacking up. I have a pretty damn good log splitter but it’s no match for 15-20 cord of wood. So I scoured the internet and found a firewood processor to rent. A weekend end rental was 16 hours, I think I ran it a grand total of 14 hours and I have approx 15 cord to show for it.

I will add pictures and captions as time allows.

Second pic is my wonderful wife Kathy with our youngest Katy. It’s rare to find a woman that can run a syncro range transmission with a baby on her knee. I married up, that’s for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B33211AF-EEF6-47F2-9674-4C002133032D.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	142721   Click image for larger version

Name:	E9FA4773-E76A-4A24-8969-E18190743061.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	142722   Click image for larger version

Name:	73A197C5-A1F7-46F1-8135-5A99DE9D4E54.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	142723   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE97C6A9-4370-441A-A4A7-4A9D12527A75.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	142724   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9FEFA1F-2FF9-40A6-A235-B7D8385CC432.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	142725  

Last edited by SmokinDodge; 12-26-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:50 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Firewood processor was a Dyna, Very good machine. I’ll post some videos on datube. That is an Oliver 770 for scale, the tractor hood is about 5’5”.

So I started out getting the IBC totes and stacking wood in them. Somewhere around tote 3 stacking got real fucking old. Found a deal on single use super sacks and I will be trading firewood for super sacks for the rest of my firewood foray.

The totes are approx a third of a cord as are the tossed super sacks. Best part of the sacks is when I rent the processor again I can run the out feed conveyor right into sack and I will never actually the wood. Not that I’m lazy, but.......

Track loader is wearing a loftness mulcher. Shit like this is why get up in the mornings. It’s almost as fun as a two stroke Detroit, turning diesel fuel into noise and smoke.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FBA8C7FA-45B6-4022-B2F5-916F7E613AF1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	142726   Click image for larger version

Name:	67C52661-0C3F-4CBE-9959-3B7CA39D02A8.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	142727   Click image for larger version

Name:	16540DC8-853A-4904-987C-5BA7020A4C46.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	142728   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E2731B9-C63C-4622-963B-B49930979A63.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	142729   Click image for larger version

Name:	9C5B8F79-60B7-4620-81D5-4B67FBD864A3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	142730  

Old 12-26-2017, 01:00 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Next phase is to sell firewood and unlike farming actually “turn a profit”. Not sure how that works, it’s a foreign concept to me.

Actually next is to build a trailer by next fall that will deliver totes and sacks in narrow driveways. That part will be pretty easy I believe.

I want to build a monster splitter (feel free to submit a better name) that will run off the 4320 pto and be remote operated. Plan is to load big chunks with skid steer and let Big John make an oak play dough factory out of some gnarly trunks. The processor did ok but it’s really designed for long straight wood under 18”. I want to use the monster splitter on the nasty stuff and stack the good stuff for the processor rental. It really flies when you give it good wood.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:12 PM
One Lone Sub

Damn, That is big league!

+1 on the Mrs.
I'm so glad my wife isn't a gurly girl
Old 12-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Next phase is to sell firewood and unlike farming actually “turn a profit”. Not sure how that works, it’s a foreign concept to me.

Actually next is to build a trailer by next fall that will deliver totes and sacks in narrow driveways. That part will be pretty easy I believe.

I want to build a monster splitter (feel free to submit a better name) that will run off the 4320 pto and be remote operated. Plan is to load big chunks with skid steer and let Big John make an oak play dough factory out of some gnarly trunks. The processor did ok but it’s really designed for long straight wood under 18”. I want to use the monster splitter on the nasty stuff and stack the good stuff for the processor rental. It really flies when you give it good wood.
Not quite on the same scale but my buddy has a single wedge splitter that runs off a pto, that I did some repairs on a couple years ago. The track is made out of half of the mast off a very large forklift, and the ram tracks along it with rollers. It's a slick setup that requires very little maintenance and has shown very little wear over the years.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:27 PM

You've definitely found one of the FEW LEGAL ways to have this much fun; and profit's just an unexpected side benefit

Two things tho, one's nitpicking, other's NOT - 1 - if you refer to the Gehl as a "track loader" to old farts like me, you'll probably lose cred; the attached image (not mine) is a track loader, you correctly called yours a skid steer (with rubber tracks) mostly; like I said, nitpicking...

2 - NOT so nitpicking; I've personally known two families who've lost kids to tractor accidents - one was a toddler, other kid was 12 and apparently forgot the lesson about NOT side-hilling. Both incidents were avoidable and unbelievably heart-wrenching - one even resulted in a suicide attempt by one of the parents.

I have 9 grandkids from 5 to 23 years old; I also have 2 tractors, several implements, a backhoe, a 50' manlift, a 25 foot scissor lift, a 6 yard dump truck - and til they're at least 12, NONE of the grandkids are even allowed NEAR me when I'm running heavy equipment; there's enough to watch for your OWN safety without adding kids who tend to do things before thinking (or even knowing WHAT to think about).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cat977L.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	142738  

Last edited by BukitCase; 12-26-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Mis-counted the grandkids :=)
Old 12-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

Nicely executed so far. I remember a talk around a fire about this idea of yours. Looks like your plan is coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
I want to build a monster splitter (feel free to submit a better name) that will run off the 4320 pto and be remote operated.
https://youtu.be/C1tAnHNIzTM

http://bellsmachining.com/supersplitter/

Dt
Old 12-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

What I admire is his quick ability to get toys to play with, and no hassle....oh well as he said, he married up

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green

Last edited by Ironman; 12-26-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
You've definitely found one of the FEW LEGAL ways to have this much fun; and profit's just an unexpected side benefit

Two things tho, one's nitpicking, other's NOT - 1 - if you refer to the Gehl as a "track loader" to old farts like me, you'll probably lose cred; the attached image (not mine) is a track loader, you correctly called yours a skid steer (with rubber tracks) mostly; like I said, nitpicking...

2 - NOT so nitpicking; I've personally known two families who've lost kids to tractor accidents - one was a toddler, other kid was 12 and apparently forgot the lesson about NOT side-hilling. Both incidents were avoidable and unbelievably heart-wrenching - one even resulted in a suicide attempt by one of the parents.

I have 9 grandkids from 5 to 23 years old; I also have 2 tractors, several implements, a backhoe, a 50' manlift, a 25 foot scissor lift, a 6 yard dump truck - and til they're at least 12, NONE of the grandkids are even allowed NEAR me when I'm running heavy equipment; there's enough to watch for your OWN safety without adding kids who tend to do things before thinking (or even knowing WHAT to think about).

Take your nits up with Gehl, tachehucki, cat and various other manufactures. They are the ones who developed the class of machine that is called “compact track loader”. Somewhere on my machine is the acronym CTL for that very thing.

I cut my teeth on a manual shift 955 and I’ve spent plenty of time hanging by my toes adjusting steering clutches in it and a dozen other cats. Enough “cred” for ya?

I have my own strict rules as well. The track loader does not move until I know where both kids are, visibility in it leaves too much to chance. There are times however that I need help and my wife is the only one available. So leaving two children under five in the house by themselves or have them with us and making them aware of dangers, teaching them and having rules in place..........ya not hard to see the obvious choice. My five year old is more observant and careful because she has been around and learned. Not that I let my guard down for a second.......

Two months ago locally a 12 year old Amish kid accidentally ran his toddler sibling over with a skid steer. I cannot imagine the grief that young man will get to deal with in his life.