Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Master Procrastinator

Here's my favorite video of processing split firewood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU
Old 12-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Take your nits up with Gehl, tachehucki, cat and various other manufactures. They are the ones who developed the class of machine that is called “compact track loader”. Somewhere on my machine is the acronym CTL for that very thing.

I cut my teeth on a manual shift 955 and I’ve spent plenty of time hanging by my toes adjusting steering clutches in it and a dozen other cats. Enough “cred” for ya?

I have my own strict rules as well. The track loader does not move until I know where both kids are, visibility in it leaves too much to chance. There are times however that I need help and my wife is the only one available. So leaving two children under five in the house by themselves or have them with us and making them aware of dangers, teaching them and having rules in place..........ya not hard to see the obvious choice. My five year old is more observant and careful because she has been around and learned. Not that I let my guard down for a second.......

Two months ago locally a 12 year old Amish kid accidentally ran his toddler sibling over with a skid steer. I cannot imagine the grief that young man will get to deal with in his life.
You are doing it right. Yes, there are risks in life. I see you are doing everything you can to minimize the risks. What you kids are learning will stay with them for life. There nothing better than being taught by your parents. Parents are the primary teachers in life. Far too many think keeping them away from all risks is protecting them.

Had my 11 year old out pheasant hunting with me and he said he had to pee. Told him to go over to the pasture fence. After he stopped yelping I asked him if he knew there was an electric fence in the pasture. He said yes, and then asked why I told him to pee there.

Told him it was my job to explain the risks in life, such as what an electric fence was and then it was up to him to remember the things I teach him and make his own decisions. He still remembers the lesson!!

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-26-2017, 10:31 PM

I figured you weren't a newb at this, and I DID notice your wife had a serious grip on the little one; but that ALSO brought back memories I thought I'd managed to bury, so I brought it up. Druther get bitched out than NOT say anything and go thru THAT again, and you're right - that Amish boy's gonna have some hellish nightmares for a LONG time.

I also did say "old farts" - been a while since I've messed with newer equipment so hadn't noticed the marketing ploy. Any day I learn somethin' new with no loss of body parts involved, it's been a GOOD day; thanks...

Oh, and I didn't mean my grandkids don't get SCHOOLED on this stuff; but I'm not the one RAISING them so I'm never quite sure what they're retaining til I ask.

I do make sure they know that ANY question is a good one, and there's a couple that were more mature at 5 or 6 than some people EVER are; so that age 12 thing isn't necessarily for ALL of 'em.

Glad to see you're havin' fun AND lookin' at a profit, it's hard to beat that combo... Steve
Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 PM
SFT Executive Chef

No worries Steve. Getting home to loved ones safely should always be on the top of everyone’s list.

Some videos:

Mulcher

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJYSIcv1cSE

Processor

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjhWlDnNlc

Marshall tree saw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghGokrnrpIU

Two big ass hickories on the 4320

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtu2Xj-lrhI
Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
Here's my favorite video of processing split firewood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU
Those are interesting but they beat the snot out of the machine trying to get to dang wood to fall into the chamber. I’m far from an expert on any of it but the Dyna I used took a 14’ log and it worked out really well. The short logs they use in the video mean more handling and cutting to me.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Auction Addict

How many wooded acres do you have? How are you dealing with stumps?

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Nicely executed so far. I remember a talk around a fire about this idea of yours. Looks like your plan is coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Don’t be fooled, there’s no plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
What I admire is his quick ability to get toys to play with, and no hassle....oh well as he said, he married up
I’ve been dicking around with this for three or four years as time allows. Neighbor wants to build fence and made me realize how long it was taking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
How many wooded acres do you have? How are you dealing with stumps?
60 acres. The Marshall tree saw cuts flush enough I can get a brush hog over them. At some point I will rent a stump grinder for the track loader and have a weekend of making chips.

Of course right now it’s too damn cold to do anything but set by the fire and bump my gums.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Another piece to the puzzle. Bought a grapple bucket today. Once I get the cylinder repaired (small leak) we will be in business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79B665F4-806D-434C-A27C-7A88FDE5783E.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	143033   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA508D9A-FFBD-4881-B68B-9EE9DFBF97D7.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	143034  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Enjoying the fruits of my labor this evening. It’s colder than a mother in laws kiss tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61A89ADF-B31C-4C0D-BD2D-A4C61A6C71E6.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	143035  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Auction Addict

That grapple will be damned handy for logging.