Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Elite Member

Default One battery or two?

Need new battery for 85 ford 6.9 int. Diesel plow truck. Only use truck on own property for plowing, and pulling trees down in summer time. Lucky to run 2 or 3 times in summer.

There is room for dual batteries, but only have one in there now.
And I am frugal.

Can pick up a 950 CCA at Walmart for about $95. With 5 year warranty.

Or would I be better off with 2 value ones at 650CCA, total 1300 CCA, but only 1 year warranty. About $45 each.

Heard years ago that if you get a high CCA. Battery in a smaller case, the plates are closer together and they will not last as long because of this. You are better off getting a bigger battery with less CCA because the plates will not deteriorate at bad.

Of course, my wife mentioned to me that I do not take care of my batteries either. I am supposed to keep them on a trinkle charger during the summer. Boy, the things she is learning at work, from the Walmart mechanics.

Oh yeah, I should get an employee discount at Walmart too.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 PM
SFT Historian

Over the years I have noticed the Battery company's do a good job timing the life of batteries.

5 year warranty will get you 4 years of life in a normal car, so you do that pro-rate thing on one year left from the same store.

If you know the battery will fit and work go with the higher warranty.

if you don't maintain a new battery it may not last 6 months. at least that is what happened to me, just maybe fresh acid eats battery's faster than an old/used battery.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Brian go with the pair of lowest cca batteries possible and you’ll have decent life out of them. You are correct, the higher the cca the more fragile the plates and the shorter the life of batteries.

I’d almost go as far as suggesting that you make up some forklift style connectors on a pair of batteries that you could swap between your wheel loader and pickup. I doubt you run both of them at the same time?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Elite Member

I always thought the reason for 2 batteries was to give longer cranking time in cold weather.
If you are not having starting problems with one battery I would just keep doing what you are doing.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 AM
I can dig it

With the 6.9/7.3 IDI’s the original starters need all the power they can get to crank them over. Heavy cables, good connections, good grounds, all contribute to easier starting. I have no experience with gear reduction starters in those engines, they are avaialable and some folks say they make a big difference.

Also, are you still using the glow plugs? The 6.9’s had a heater controller that was susceptible to failure. Many bypass it with a manual pushbutton controlling the glow plug relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 AM
Elite Member

I make the batteries you are looking at.

Look at the bottm for the "G" number. If the number is the same for the 1yr and the 5yr

Get the 1yr, they have the same internal parts. Neither will outlast the other.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
I make the batteries you are looking at.

Look at the bottm for the "G" number. If the number is the same for the 1yr and the 5yr

Get the 1yr, they have the same internal parts. Neither will outlast the other.

I was hoping you was going to chime in Rob. I was basically thinking how much difference are they?

Smokin, how did you know that I took one of them out for my loader in the summer? Lol. Nice idea on the battery connectors though. That is part of the problem. I had bought a pair about 6 years ago, and I went to get the other one from the loader, but the loader one was not the same. Not sure where I put the matching one? Guess it might be in the skid loader.

The glow plugs are not working. I was going to work on them last summer, which is what I gave thought the previous years too. Typical, don’t think about it Til winter and need it. I use a little shot of either. A $3 can gets me through the winter. Seems too easy than to mess with the glow plugs.

I am starting to think that I should change to oil to lighter weight though. Never thought of that. Probably would help my skid loader too, that I can’t get started right now.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I am starting to think that I should change to oil to lighter weight though.
A pound of oil weighs a pound so what the fuck do you mean a lighter weight
oil???

Y'all need to stop saying silly things because I will castigate you for it.

Why do you think going to a lower viscosity grade will help you? I assume
you are running a 15W-40 viscosity grade.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Da Chief

Hey Ron, have you heard that old saying "Don't be an asshat all your life, take the rest of the day off"?

Just checkin'

RED just an old sheepdog, goin' fer the cheap laugh.

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM

The glow plug controller connector on the 6.9 has issues. I was able to make mine more reliable by strapping it down tightly with one of those miniature bungee cords they throw in with the assortment sets. Before that I would turn the key on, get out and reach back to hold the connector down onto the controller for a cycle, then jump back in the cab and crank. When you hold that connector down you can feel/hear the relay clunk as it closes. In many ways I miss the 6.9, it was very reliable and simple to work on. Beware of the hood seal on the pickups, it fails along the back edge and rainwater runs into the depression on the air cleaner assy leading to hydrolock. I used to keep a plastic oil change pan on top of the air cleaner box.