Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-02-2017, 05:33 PM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
When you said bandsaw steel I was assuming "sawmill bandsaw" which are commonly L6. I didn't think it had any nickel, but I just looked it up and it is pretty close to 15n20 in composition.

Have you ever tried etching in ferric chloride? That seems to be a popular etch for damascus, I wonder if it reacts to the nickel differently?
Probably the largest difference with any nickel or finished damascus is the level of polish.. I stopped at 180 grit.. While you can't see it in the pictures it actually reflecs light of the nickle part.. If you enlarge the vinegar pictures you can see it even more clearly..

The nickle blades have a lot of flex cycles while maintaining strength..

I have several different sizes as i can get them from my metal supplier who just throws the bands away once they are used up..

I just talked with an engineer friend who makes bandsaw sharpening equipment for Simmons and he said at some point we can go over and grab some of the scrap which are like 20ft sections that get fed into the machine before the teeth are cut and it just goes to scrap.. Some of it is as wide as 3"X 0.062..
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 AM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,169
Default

Sorry it's been awhile, ferric chloride I believe has become more popular because of the ease in getting it and it's been promoted or the information has been networked so much..

A slower acid will show more as to variation in the overall Damascus bundle , because nickle is acid resistant all the other layers can be chewed out in a heart beat.. that's what happened when I went from the 25% vinegar to the 34% hydrochloric.. the hydro ate all the vintage high carbon wagon tire where the vinegar left it just a darker more robust looking pattern... the stronger acid basically washed out the full contrast and left the nickle intact. .

Sent from my SM-N910C using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-22-2017, 05:28 PM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,169
Default

Today I made the guard out of some wrought iron and it was both inset (punched for ricasso area) and then punched and drifted, then cleaned up with a cape chisel to get the blade to inset properly..

Tomorrow I will make a scabbard chisel the correct width so I can finish the inlay of the handle.. I plan also on making some copper hardware and a wrought iron butt cap..

I would have prefered a darker wood but the copper should help with color..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_180130.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	140603   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_180138.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	140604   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_180156.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	140605   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_180235.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	140606  
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 9,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post

I just talked with an engineer friend who makes bandsaw sharpening equipment for Simmons and he said at some point we can go over and grab some of the scrap which are like 20ft sections that get fed into the machine before the teeth are cut and it just goes to scrap.. Some of it is as wide as 3"X 0.062..
Ask them when they are going to make some 1 1/2" wide wood blades for the
portable bandsaw mills, but with teeth on both sides.

I have a design in my head to use the double sided blade, but can't find it
that small.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Ask them when they are going to make some 1 1/2" wide wood blades for the
portable bandsaw mills, but with teeth on both sides.

I have a design in my head to use the double sided blade, but can't find it
that small.
Well that sounds interesting?? Double sided blades sharpened on both sides? Cutting in both directions?

Sadly I won't have say on anything there.. I"ll be lucky enough to just get a few pieces of scrap..
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 9,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Well that sounds interesting?? Double sided blades sharpened on both sides? Cutting in both directions?

Sadly I won't have say on anything there.. I"ll be lucky enough to just get a few pieces of scrap..
Yes, on the big ones like 14" wide and 50' long. They cut on the forward
as well as the return stroke.
Smallest I can find is 6" wide. Just ask them please if one is available
or "in the pipeline".

If I can build a portable bandsaw rig using the above mentioned 1 1/2" wide
blades, it would be a game changer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	456098570-DoubleSidedBlade.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	140607  

Last edited by digger doug; 08-22-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 PM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Yes, on the big ones like 14" wide and 50' long. They cut on the forward
as well as the return stroke.
Smallest I can find is 6" wide. Just ask them please if one is available
or "in the pipeline".

If I can build a portable bandsaw rig using the above mentioned 1 1/2" wide
blades, it would be a game changer.
My engineer friend makes the sharpening machines for them so maybe he can find out.. I'll post back when I get an answer..
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 AM
AJinNZ's Avatar
AJinNZ AJinNZ is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,468
Default

I like the steel and the 3rd pic from your last post shows an interesting etc/pattern.

I see what you mean about the iron getting eaten away but I think the effect is pretty cool.
Looking forward to seeing the completed knife.
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood



Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-23-2017, 03:37 PM
LW Hiway's Avatar
LW Hiway LW Hiway is offline
Lord of the Minions
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indian Bayou and Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 19,855
Default

Most competent work Jen. Nice form and finishing.

I've always been a fan of using bits of brass and even copper when putting knives together as it jumps out at the eye on the finished product.

Over the years of doing a bit of traveling, I always made a point of visiting any type of museum found to have antique knives etc made with minimum flare. Only those of being a functional over beauty look were of interest to me and they are what I captured in picture.

I prefer the functional look over slick 10 to one, but that may just be me.
__________________
God, if you would grant me one request through Prayer, please help me be the Man my Dog thinks I am. Please.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 PM
allessence's Avatar
allessence allessence is offline
Gadget Girl
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA, 01543
Posts: 6,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
I like the steel and the 3rd pic from your last post shows an interesting etc/pattern.

I see what you mean about the iron getting eaten away but I think the effect is pretty cool.
Looking forward to seeing the completed knife.
Thanks AJ Looking forwards to getting it done also..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Most competent work Jen. Nice form and finishing.

I've always been a fan of using bits of brass and even copper when putting knives together as it jumps out at the eye on the finished product.

Over the years of doing a bit of traveling, I always made a point of visiting any type of museum found to have antique knives etc made with minimum flare. Only those of being a functional over beauty look were of interest to me and they are what I captured in picture.

I prefer the functional look over slick 10 to one, but that may just be me.
Its funny you mention function vs flair. Nearly all the museums like the flair vs function so finding examples of any daily used items is nearly impossible unless it's a rare example or the workmenship is crazy good.. IE flair..

Personally I like to have just enough of a "What" factor.. Or how come..

not sure if you guys noticed but there is something which on each knife is just a little different be it shape, construction, color, bolsters, tips. pins. etc, etc.. Maybe comes from my quirky thinking..

Nothing really sticks out unless you know what you are looking for..

I wasn't able to get out to the trailer to do anything today.. Was one of those non starter days.. Ok, I did package and mail out the other knife..
__________________
_________________
Jennifer

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

Last edited by allessence; 08-23-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.