Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 08-31-2017, 05:11 PM
Made From Scratch

Default Anvil Stand

My old wooden anvil stand worked but left a lot to be desired. I tended to chase it around the shop when I was trying to work over the horn and would have to drag it back every time I stopped to put my steel in the forge again.

So I dug through the resource pile and drug out this column from a building I remodeled. Its 3/8" wall 4inch tube and the baseplate is 10"x10" and 1" thick.

Set it up on some channel iron to make it easier to cut and started hacking out parts with a zip wheel in the grinder. I only had a general idea in mind, probably should have done more planning but it worked out ok.

The welding table had a pile of junk on it that didn't get put away after the last 2 projects so I improvised and sat the anvil stand upside down on the anvil to start welding it together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS002-DSCF0490.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	140737   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS001-DSCF0489.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	140738   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS004-DSCF0492.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	140739   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS003-DSCF0491.jpg
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	140740   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS005-DSCF0493.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	140741  

Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Made From Scratch

Got it all welded up and tested the legs. It had a little wobble so I put a piece of 1/4 flat bar on the floor against each one and traced it with a sharpie, then flipped it over and used that as a reference line to grind them down and level it.

I added a piece of 1" square solid bar as a sort of foot on the big leg. The tube still rests on the ground on the inside edge but the bar lands on the outside and gives me a place to put my foot if I have to work at a bad angle and it decides to move around.

Dug into the junk bucket and found a bunch of wedges left over from coping 4 inch channel ends and used them to make tabs to keep the anvil straight. You can still lift it off the top if you pick straight up.

I haven't done any pounding on it yet but it feels pretty stable and is fairly difficult to slide around so I think its going to work just fine. My original plan was to make it more like a sawhorse but this takes up less floor space and seems like it will work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS008-DSCF0496.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	140742   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS009-DSCF0497.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	140743   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS010-DSCF0498.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	140744   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS012-DSCF0500.jpg
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	140745   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS015-DSCF0503.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	140746  

Old 09-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Curmudgeon

Matt, after pondering it overnight I still have one reservation gnawing at me, not because of any experience but simply because it seems likely.
Won't the open ends of the tube tend to eat away at your concrete when you pound on your anvil?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Matt, after pondering it overnight I still have one reservation gnawing at me, not because of any experience but simply because it seems likely.
Won't the open ends of the tube tend to eat away at your concrete when you pound on your anvil?
The same thought crossed my mind.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Made From Scratch

I had the same thought and I will see how bad it is when I get to pounding on it. The floor is already broken and severely unlevel (like 2" of fall from the center to the outside wall). I have some channel iron I can use to make pads for the bottom if I need to.
I started to just put the pads on and decided that would make it more likely to slide around on me, so I'm going to let it have some bite and see if it really does damage the floor or if it's not worth worrying about.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Gadget Girl

Hi Matt, I'm sorry to come to this thread late.. Recently I had the pleasure of seeing a stand which was a tripod which for all intensive purposes met my requirements for solidness and stability..

Over the years I really have looked at all stands an nearly 99% of them are not up to the task.

With that said, I have a tendency to over build as you know..

Id want to have a mount on the front foot to lock into place as a stabilizing helper but It covers all the things I look for.. Just like the little bar you mounted on yours but some way for it to tilt or to stand on easily..

The stand looks good.. Are you going to put wheels on it also. I'd put some diagonal braces from the rear legs to the center base just to firm it up a little more..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160322_170552953.jpg.0b47b24a57d5940aa81c724114b3ee4d.jpg
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	140760  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Made From Scratch

I might add some bracing. That was on my mind but I ran out of time the other day and it seemed pretty stout. No plans for wheels at this time. I haven't weighed it but I think it's 40 or 50 lbs and the anvil is 110, I can still pick it up and shuffle it out of the way when needed at this point. When I get older/smarter I may do things differently

I do like how you have spots on your stands for tools. That will probably be phase 2 after I put it to some use and make sure it doesn't need any drastic changes.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I might add some bracing. That was on my mind but I ran out of time the other day and it seemed pretty stout. No plans for wheels at this time. I haven't weighed it but I think it's 40 or 50 lbs and the anvil is 110, I can still pick it up and shuffle it out of the way when needed at this point. When I get older/smarter I may do things differently

I do like how you have spots on your stands for tools. That will probably be phase 2 after I put it to some use and make sure it doesn't need any drastic changes.
I like your anvil also.. thats not an old HF is it?

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Made From Scratch

Yep, good eye. It's a HF. They used to carry a 110lb cast steel anvil that was around 100 bucks. I had to do a lot of work with a flap wheel to get it in usable shape, the horn especially. The rebound is nothing to write home about but it has served me very well for the price. If I had known they were going to quit carrying them I'd have bought 2 or 3 of them. Everything they have now appears to be cast iron and the local store doesn't have anything over maybe 45lbs.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:52 PM

Here's mine.

If you're right-handed like me, and use the anvil with the horn on the left, I suspect you'll prefer to have the splayed legs of the "tripod" on the left ... there's less likelihood of the legs interfering with the placement of your right foot, and anyway, IMHO you "need" more lateral/tilting/rocking stability in front of the horn than near the hardy hole where you're more concerned with strictly "twisting" stability, anyway...

YMMV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	140797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	140798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2432.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	140799  

Last edited by Wolfram; 09-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.