Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Gadget Girl

sorry to hear it..

I've had several deep punctures with nerve damage.. in the thumb, both elbows, Back surgery etc, etc.. They say for every " of nerve length after the injury (injury down) you are looking at about 1" per month..

I don't agree.. I'd say depending on the injury and severity dictates how long it takes to heal or at least become more normal..

My left leg is still messed up from the back damage.. One of the things I find the most helpful is to do things that really stress it out.. Snow shoeing , roller blading, Blacksmithing.. These things make it scream at me and while the pain is rather intense it fades over a month of 2 of while I maintain the activity, and then it feels really good.. LOL.. Of course at that point the weather has changed as does the activities and the process starts anew..

As for stab wounds I've had thousands.. Yep, thousands.. Just last 2 weeks ago I got stabbed in the calf by one of the toasting forkes.. All the way through and you could see the point on the backside of the puncture when it was moved.. 4" of stab..
Had a little foot numbness for a few days but I just kept right on working away.. Now it s fine and the scab is just about gone.. Another week or 2 and the scab will be gone..

As to hands and wrists.. Broke both elbows by smashing them into walls while rock climbing.. Sheared off the funny bone.. in both elbows the channel runs right under the funny bone and is the reason why it hurts so much when you hit it.. Well, both of mine have been relocated and 3X the size they should be.. My left still goes numb when doing certain things..

And then there is the time I put a coke bottle butt right up through the nerve channel where the hand connects to the wrist.. 2.5" gash about 2.5" in.. This took a really long time to heal about 3 years to get the feeling back in 3 fingers..

and lets see.. The list goes on and on.. Nerve damage takes a long time and if you do have it, don't stop using the limb or what have you.. The nerves and neural pathways will reroute if they are used all the time..

it will be painful if the damage is extensive but it builds character.. Today when I got home from feet.. I was sitting on the porch and when I leaned my butt to the left you could hear the nerve ping and my left foot and leg would go nerve sensitive for a few seconds (like smacking you elbow).. The nerves when they are abused will feel like pins and needles but worse and eventually you get used to the extra sensitivity they offer.. Right now both my left hand pinky and part of the palm are nerve sleeping and so is my left leg..

I find typing plays havoc with my left hand and sitting straight in a chair effects my left leg..

it's all good.. Just be careful..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Right now both my left hand pinky and part of the palm are nerve sleeping and so is my left leg..

I find typing plays havoc with my left hand and sitting straight in a chair effects my left leg..

it's all good.. Just be careful..
Jen, has anybody told you to take care of yourself.....let me be the first...

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Gerry, Thank you.. I do my best..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I definitely felt the jolts of pain and tingling a few times today. I had no choice but to work and there were times I just had to use the hand in ways that made it protest.

But, the good news is that overall, I don't think I'm any worse these past two days.

After hearing Jen's experiences, I don't think I'll ever complain about anything ever again...
Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
As long as you did not fill it with grease, you're ok
No Kidding!
But,i have all sensation back in that finger,so i suspect you will be fine too.
But,i would still check in with the hand doc.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
I got an infected dog bite a couple years ago. Spent the weekend in and out of the after hours clinic getting mega doses of antibiotics pumped in to catch up with it.

It reminded me of a book I have......fella got bitten by a sled dog. The dogs owners flushed it out with a large syringe full of saline. They put the end of the syringe into the wound and forced the saline in with as much pressure as possible. Those deep wound ( and most others ) bacteria hate salt.

It won't be comfortable but it beats the alternative and is what I will do next time for deep punctures.
For gaping ' that should get stitches but I dont want to wait all day at the hospital' cuts..........the day after when the bleeding has stopped I start soaks in warm heavily salted water and a new dressing. Heals them up twice as fast.
My hand doc wanted me to soak my hand daily,he liked a solution called Dakin's solution.
I got it from him,but he gave me a paper with instructions on how to make it.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I remembered that grease injection horror story the very moment I stabbed myself. I remember thinking: "Thank goodness it's just a knife."

The actual puncture is almost completely healed. Very little scab left.

I'm definitely keeping the appt with the hand doc.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-62...lution/details
Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Blast this!

Watch the handgun shooting with that hand. Maybe once or twice to see if it effects the tingle.My BIL can no longer do handguns because of the nerve damage.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
I agree--damn pin cushion she is!

Mac, I think the doctor is going to probe test your nerves by jamming a big ol' needle into the site of the puncture. As an added bonus and at no additional charge to you, he/she will inject some antibiotic while probing in there.

If the veins around the puncture area have turned red and inflamed, you probably have an infection which should be treated so sepsis doesn't occur...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...