Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
sorry to hear it..

I've had several deep punctures with nerve damage.. in the thumb, both elbows, Back surgery etc, etc.. They say for every " of nerve length after the injury (injury down) you are looking at about 1" per month..

I don't agree.. I'd say depending on the injury and severity dictates how long it takes to heal or at least become more normal..

My left leg is still messed up from the back damage.. One of the things I find the most helpful is to do things that really stress it out.. Snow shoeing , roller blading, Blacksmithing.. These things make it scream at me and while the pain is rather intense it fades over a month of 2 of while I maintain the activity, and then it feels really good.. LOL.. Of course at that point the weather has changed as does the activities and the process starts anew..

As for stab wounds I've had thousands.. Yep, thousands.. Just last 2 weeks ago I got stabbed in the calf by one of the toasting forkes.. All the way through and you could see the point on the backside of the puncture when it was moved.. 4" of stab..
Had a little foot numbness for a few days but I just kept right on working away.. Now it s fine and the scab is just about gone.. Another week or 2 and the scab will be gone..

As to hands and wrists.. Broke both elbows by smashing them into walls while rock climbing.. Sheared off the funny bone.. in both elbows the channel runs right under the funny bone and is the reason why it hurts so much when you hit it.. Well, both of mine have been relocated and 3X the size they should be.. My left still goes numb when doing certain things..

And then there is the time I put a coke bottle butt right up through the nerve channel where the hand connects to the wrist.. 2.5" gash about 2.5" in.. This took a really long time to heal about 3 years to get the feeling back in 3 fingers..

and lets see.. The list goes on and on.. Nerve damage takes a long time and if you do have it, don't stop using the limb or what have you.. The nerves and neural pathways will reroute if they are used all the time..

it will be painful if the damage is extensive but it builds character.. Today when I got home from feet.. I was sitting on the porch and when I leaned my butt to the left you could hear the nerve ping and my left foot and leg would go nerve sensitive for a few seconds (like smacking you elbow).. The nerves when they are abused will feel like pins and needles but worse and eventually you get used to the extra sensitivity they offer.. Right now both my left hand pinky and part of the palm are nerve sleeping and so is my left leg..

I find typing plays havoc with my left hand and sitting straight in a chair effects my left leg..

it's all good.. Just be careful..
Mate! You need a padded room by the sounds of that.

Sent from my SM-G900I using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I agree--damn pin cushion she is!

Mac, I think the doctor is going to probe test your nerves by jamming a big ol' needle into the site of the puncture. As an added bonus and at no additional charge to you, he/she will inject some antibiotic while probing in there.

If the veins around the puncture area have turned red and inflamed, you probably have an infection which should be treated so sepsis doesn't occur...

Ouch. Just thinking about this would be enough to keep me home. Last thing I want is someone poking a needle in my healed injury.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

No discoloration or swelling anywhere. No fever, except football (Seahawks and whoever plays the Patriots) and baseball (Orioles and whoever plays the Yankees.)

Still weird sensations in the hand, but have full dexterity if I want to push through it.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4ford

Sounds like just some swelling messing with the nerves kids like carpal tunnel
Old 09-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTom View Post
Mate, she's not a mate, she's a sheila... BTW, Welcome Aboard!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Mate, she's not a mate, she's a sheila... BTW, Welcome Aboard!
Ah, my mistake, and thanks.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTom View Post

If I stopped moving I'd fall apart.. My average day starts at 5am and then it's feet for most the day, and then what ever needs doing after I take an hour or so for recovery time..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
No discoloration or swelling anywhere. No fever, except football (Seahawks and whoever plays the Patriots) and baseball (Orioles and whoever plays the Yankees.)

Still weird sensations in the hand, but have full dexterity if I want to push through it.
if the nerve is partially severed don't push it to hard or else there can be a complete separation.. This would not be good..

What did the Dr say?

It's amazing how resilient the human body really is.. of course we are still fragile compared to most other critters but I guess thats why we have the big brains.. (so we can really f things up).

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
...What did the Dr say?...
I'll know Monday. I'm not doing anything to purposely stress it except for one job on Thursday where I had to lift stuff up and down a 2-story roof with my tow strap. That one kind of hurt a couple times.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Well, I stumped the hand doc, or at least enough where he didn't even charge me (or my insurance) for the visit. I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

He had ideas, and did a lot of poking on the hand to determine the location of the numb(ish) area. It's localized to the big pad below the thumb on the palm side, plus the pain from certain twisting motions.

He said I didn't hurt the two primary nerves, but that there are some smaller ones that run through the punctured area. It may or may not be repairable. If not, he says 80% won't have it get any worse. The other 20% deteriorate and experience painful electric shocks...

He set up an appointment for me to see a microvascular neurosurgeon on Wednesday. That's the guy that can tell me if it can be repaired and if I can afford to even think about it.

He did say I can't really make it any worse by doing normal activities.

Aside: Lately, I've noticed the nurses/administrators caring a lot more about stuff other than my symptoms. I got an emergency visit to my primary doc a couple months ago, and when I told the nurse that even though I normally don't take pain meds, I tried one that morning to hope it would work. Instantly, she no longer cared about my pain at all, and was very specific that the most important question of the visit was: "Were they prescribed TO ME?" She asked twice to emphasize. Of course I lied.

On this visit, I actually had to sign a form attesting that my injury had no third party involvement, after being asked twice if it was an personal accident or caused by someone else.

Last edited by MAC702; 09-11-2017 at 06:06 PM.