Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

Default 3306 Exhaust manifold gasket

The Steiger developed an exhaust leak at #5 this spring. The manifold gasket let go. Anyway I am just getting to the repair.

I was able to remove the manifold without breaking anything and it looks ok. I am getting new studs and gaskets hopefully tomorrow.

Due to the 5 or 6 Helicoils that are in the head I will assume it had the broken studs that are common with this engine. It is a 1978 3306 PC.

My question to those more experienced than me:
1. I assume I should use anti-seize on the studs
2. Since several of the studs were loose at removal, shall I and if so, at what interval, retighten the studs?

No I have not been Googling on the subject as I have been quite busy. I am sure a few of you have been in this position before.

Thank you for your input.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0831171904a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	140894  

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Lord of the Minions

A cousin had one with the same problem after 6 years of use.

Broken studs, but was able to remove all of the broken leftovers with my EDM system, some drilling and relieving. Tried welding a nut on a couple, but no joy.

New studs etc, new gaskets, welded manifold and we retightened the gaskets after two days of plowing. The fix has held and last season all fasteners were checked and all clicked at torque without movement.

Thread lock was used.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

The truck and trailer parts guys I use for several things on that tractor are working on getting parts. I did not get all the info they needed at first. There is an engine model number, serial number, arrangement number and modification number. I was unable to read the modification number Thurs pm. The owner has been out west hunting and the guy I normally interface with was swamped.

I went in Saturday with all of the numbers (had to break out the magnifying glass). They are going to do some digging today. Hopefully we can get parts this week.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Lord of the Minions

Jeff, I think the one I spoke of is about the same year and if so, I'll get and give you any info I come up with. Next weekend though.

Memory serves that we did not have any probs with getting parts for it down here as there was a butt load of them sold during that era.

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Jeff, I think the one I spoke of is about the same year and if so, I'll get and give you any info I come up with. Next weekend though.

Memory serves that we did not have any probs with getting parts for it down here as there was a butt load of them sold during that era.
Thank you. The guys I get parts from are usually really quick but I know the owner was out west hunting or so I was told for 2 weeks and the parts guy was by himself and swamped. They are always very busy whenever I have been there.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

No luck on parts with my local truck supply place. No luck with a big well known CaseIH dealer that I have done business with in PA. Must deal with a Cat dealer. I am going to Michigan Cat in Lansing tonight after work. Probably should have done that in the first place.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:22 AM
Elite Member

I was able to purchase parts at the Michigan Cat dealer in Lansing last night and pick them up tonight. they may be a little proud of them, but I needed the parts.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Auction Addict

Ever try a graphite gasket? They never burn out.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Ever try a graphite gasket? They never burn out.
Pretty cool. I have never heard of that. Thank you.

Edit: I don't think this one would have burned out but for the several loose studs may have accelerated the problem.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Lord of the Minions

The cousin mentioned he looked, but I doubt he even tried.

Just remember there are different torque values to be used for lubed and non lubed threaded fasteners. Most probably.

I could be wrong and would appreciate any with greater knowledge on the subject to correct my line of thinking.

I do not use anti sieze on studs or head or manifold bolts or studs for the most part. As well, I do not use thread lock unless specified in some sort of service manual mention.

Thinking is that if anti sieze is used on the stud to engine end, the thread to thread bearing is not the same. As well if thread lock is used and you later re-torque the pattern, what good has the use of it done in the first place.

I will use anti-seize should the fastener have a self locking feature, something other than a typical lock washer, say safety wiring etc.

Like said, if my thoughts are off, correct me.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 09-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.