Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Elite Member

38" tires can be a pain. I've changed a few by myself (I'm 5'7" 145 lbs) it isn't fun. Would tubeless with leak sealer, be a better set up if you have thorns and other sharps to deal with? In fact, I have two 13.6-38 tires to do before the snow flies.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

The new Firestone was installed yesterday. Very pretty.

I forgot to take pics but will try tonight.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:41 PM
Elite Member

I blew a hydraulic line behind the engine while chisel plowing on Saturday. I put it in the barn last night and will need to replace the hydraulic line and revisit the exhaust repair.

I waited too long to fix the exhaust leak and therefore did not take the time to have the manifold machined. I thought it might be OK but I was wrong.

Also when starting some smoke comes out of the turbo housing which makes me think it has an issue also.

The little chisel plowing that is left will be done with FIL's IH 1486. It is supposed to be 145 pto hp but the dealer said it is at 170. Starts good and runs strong.

We finished FIL's corn on Saturday. He finished chopping stalks on Monday so about 35 acres or so of chisel plowing and everything can take a winter's nap.

We had a lot of rain early in the season but August was bone dry. My soybeans ran 49.5 bushel per acre which is great for how dry it has been. 58 plus last year but good rains in early August really helped in 2016.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

Everything has been put away for the season and we have been deer hunting pretty hard. Me only on opening day and weekends as it is about dark when I get home from work.

Spent a couple of evenings working on the Steiger and was able to remove the exhaust manifold last night. A guy I know has been rebuilding engines and I hear he is doing machine work also so I plan on taking the manifold to him. If not, the CARQUEST does machining local, my wife's cousin is the guy. Also there is a well known (been around a long time anyway) engine shop in Owosso that helped my dad out on the IH 1206 rebuild.

Progress to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1128171837a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	142347  

Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

I separated the turbo housing from the manifold last night and contacted the guy to do the machining. I twisted the bolts off with the IR air gun as they were rusted beyond belief. I had a difficult time separating the outfit without causing damage.

The very last thing while trying to get out a stuck bolt was a hammer misfire and broke off a corner of the casting where the turbo mounts on the manifold. I know a few guys who can weld that. I plan on dropping it off at the machine guy's place tonight. If he cannot weld it I am sure he knows people that can also.

I forgot to take pics. no cuss words, did not throw anything, just disappointment in myself for making a rookie mistake. Then thoughts of how much that errant hammer swing will cost.

Not sure if this is good or bad, I think good--here goes:

the earlier repair when I should have machined the manifold, it was leaking at the #5 cylinder. I had assumed the same this time but it was the #6--so all that means it that I thought I had the #5 cleaned up well enough and I was right, but there must be other warp/pitting issues (it does not look awesome).

All the studs were tight so it did not loosen up.

updates to follow.