Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Default Lincoln AS 400 TROUBLE SHOOTING

I am hoping to help a friend who has Lincoln As 400 .Last time it was used, was with no problems. Now, the engine runs but no welding output.

He suspects the exciter but also can't find any fuse/ fuses. Are fuses in an engine driven welder different from other types of fuses.Do they look different for example?
Please chip in if you can offer an idea of what else to check for. He has a manual and would like to fix it on the farm rather than hump it 150 miles in the back of his ute to a big city repair agent.
Thanks
Ozwelder
Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

How long has it sat in-used ?

May have to flash the exciter.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

OZ, try to put the cables on a 12 volt battery for a few seconds, then start it.
It may have lost the residual magnetism and be failing to generate. As long as you can get a trickle through it that way, it will restore the magnetism.
A more risky but but very effective method is positive to positive, neg to neg when the engine is running. Risky because if you are not quick, when the gen picks up you can blow the battery.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 PM
SFT Historian

SA 400I

Is this the manual ?
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...n3/im10192.pdf

Manuals.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx

Last edited by GWIZ; 09-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
OZ, try to put the cables on a 12 volt battery for a few seconds, then start it.
It may have lost the residual magnetism and be failing to generate. As long as you can get a trickle through it that way, it will restore the magnetism.
A more risky but but very effective method is positive to positive, neg to neg when the engine is running. Risky because if you are not quick, when the gen picks up you can blow the battery.
The correct way to do this is to add a 250 watt bulb in series with one of the leads. This limits the current when the generator excites and provided a visual indication when the generator lights off
Old 09-20-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
How long has it sat in-used ?

May have to flash the exciter.
Its only been a few weeks since its last use.

My friend has the correct manual as he had an online contact with the Lincoln Technical bloke who sorted out the correct manual for him.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Diagnosis over the internet is almost as fun as diag over the phone.

To start:

Is it making rated RPM?

Have you checked all the brushes to make sure there isn't one hung up not contacting?

Have you checked the condition of the slip rings? Exciter and generator ends of it's anything like a Sa200

Have you tried different heat ranges and fine control settings? My Sa200s have four gears with a rheostat. Bad connection on any one of the gears or a break in the rheostat means no welding. I know the 400's have different style of controls but the idea is the same. I haven't even seen a 400 in person, yet.

If you try to excite it with a battery put a digital volt meter inline. If it works and the welder starts exciting you can pull the leads at 14-15 volts and not blow acid every where.

And just for shits and giggles have you tried different leads/clamps? Could be an open/break/short outside the machine.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 AM

Default More on the Lincoln AS 400

Hi , First of thank you for the replies to the posts from OZWELDER who asked for help on my behalf. I decided to join this forum to send more information and have just been validated as a member.
This welder is 40 plus years old and looks on ok condition. I bought it only 6 months ago and have used it for a total of 4 or 5 hours since then. Last week I was welding on about 200 amps on the 4th or 5th rod and the welding current just stopped, with the engine still running. A very small spark was evident if I scratched the rod tip on the work. It is a machine built by Lincoln Australia with a 3 cyl Perkins diesel engine, and is governed for 60 hertz, unusual for Australia.
Anyhow since then I have done a few checks: removed and checked all brushes, 8 on welding generator, 2 on exciter, 2 on ac sliprings. All look ok, tails attached with ohms reading small. All slip rings looked ok but I dressed and cleaned them anyhow before brushes were replaced. Manual says welding voltage is about 40 ocv, when running only 4-5 V, Moving rheostat around does not change voltabe at welding points on machine. I will try to attach the pdf copy of the manual from Lincoln Australia.
Welcome more comments and suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMA507-H Operating Manual 400AS 4KVA.pdf (657.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 AM
SFT Historian

Welcome to the Site,

the page numbers in the manual are off

there is something funny or missing in the manual
Page14
shows a round circle just to the left of the rheostat with a red and blue wires connected. what is it?
maybe that is what they are calling a reactor (unlikely), or is it a circuit breaker.

===

Do "not" start or run the engine.

I would check for an open circuit as stated on page 5
Looking at page 13-1/2 (Exciter & Aux power wiring)

lift one of the Exciter brushes (place a piece of paper under one of the brushes)
This way you are not measuring the Exciters resistance, just its control wiring circuit (resistance).

place you ohm meter on its lowest scale and measure the resistance across the two lead brush wires.

I'm guessing the resistance should be less than 100 ohms, maybe more like 20 ohms or less.

Last edited by GWIZ; 09-21-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Voice of Experience

It probably has a capacitor for excitation. If the cap is bad you need to excite at the slip ring brushes. A 12 VDC batt will do. Just flash the field momentarily. I hae an old miller that needs this treatment when sitting too long.. My Bob Cat has the cap and so far maintains..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..