Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Rear differential as a pto angle drive box

I was asked by a friend for help as he had stuck his G'fathers posthole auger/digger in the ground next to an old stump and figured he'd hit a root.

So knowing he'd bought the same augers as mine I took a few tools and my tractor with the 'root finger' and headed over.

I was amazed to see that the digger's gear box was nothing more than a Ford rear diff, one tube cut off at the bell and a plate welded over and the other end shortened to about 8" with another 6" of splined shaft sticking out.

I found out the thing had been made in 59 or 60 and other than seals and bearings, nothing else had been changed or remade. The old man said it has probably drilled 10k holes over it's lifetime while he was working as a fence installer.

I found this on datube

Of course my phone was at the shop as I don't wear/carry it while on equipment.

I was duly impressed. I searched online and found a few videos on the subject.

If I would have been asked, I'd of believed that the gearing in a diff might not be up to that heavy of a duty. Hell, I'm seeing the same things done to make 6' shredders/bushhog cutters. I'm impressed.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 09-25-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: It was a root he had hit and was afraid of messing something up to get it out. lol
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Post hole diggers yes, as you have room to make a coupling for the auger.

Brush cutter ? How to attach the stump jumper to the gearbox ?

Maybe cut the center out of a rim for the bolt circle (one that mates
up to the intended gearbox) and work outwards from there.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Elite Member

Now that, cutting a spline with an angle grinder, I have to see the "fit" of that. :-)
...lew...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Post hole diggers yes, as you have room to make a coupling for the auger.

Brush cutter ? How to attach the stump jumper to the gearbox ?

Maybe cut the center out of a rim for the bolt circle (one that mates
up to the intended gearbox) and work outwards from there.
The brush cutters I have seen(and I posted a picture of my dads years back) were made by using the whole diff. The pto driveshaft was attached to the axle on one side and the brake drum was left on the other side. The brake shoes were cranked up tight and acted as a slip clutch when you hit a rock or such. The pinion where the car driveshaft used to bolt on was where the blade was bolted on.
PTO speeds were slower then. 500 rpm at max engine rpm. Tractors often did not have a live pto and when you dumped the clutch, you started to move and so did the implement. So the 3:1 ratio in the diff was good to get the cutter rotating faster as soon as you had some ground speed.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The brush cutters I have seen(and I posted a picture of my dads years back) were made by using the whole diff. The pto driveshaft was attached to the axle on one side and the brake drum was left on the other side. The brake shoes were cranked up tight and acted as a slip clutch when you hit a rock or such. The pinion where the car driveshaft used to bolt on was where the blade was bolted on.
PTO speeds were slower then. 500 rpm at max engine rpm. Tractors often did not have a live pto and when you dumped the clutch, you started to move and so did the implement. So the 3:1 ratio in the diff was good to get the cutter rotating faster as soon as you had some ground speed.
makes sense to use the thing backwards to speed it up.

If Lw is going for a 2 spindle walk behind 22 hp "gathering" mower.
He might stand 2 of them up (wheel flange going down)
point the pinions towards each other with a simple ridged shaft
between them, and put the pulley in the middle.
The 3600 rpm engine with about a 3" pulley, the pinion with about a 10"
and then the ratio in the gearboxes should bring it down to just about
right.
Which wheel end goes "down" to the blade, might enable the 2 gearboxes
(with pinions coupled by the common shaft) to rotate as wanted,
to pull vegetation in to the center.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Elite Member

Default Mower gear box

Some years ago there was a brief fad of an Italian brush mower around here.
Dealers were selling them for 20 to 25 percent under the U S made ones.
The problem was the gear box went out after 3 or 4 years.
No local repair parts and a 90 day wait.

A local fab shop came up with a fix using an GMC truck axel.
I know he did about 8 or 10.
They were modded the same way as the Russian shows.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Lord of the Minions

Lew, several years back a video was hosted by someone as I cannot find it on youtube and if memory serves it was something like India or Thailand(????) where they needed to make a huge gear repair etc.

I think they used hand files to get the profile back to where it worked.

Memory tells me this gear weighed several/many hundreds of pounds.

Like starting a fire rubbing a stalk of hay against a piece of wood.

I've got more ideas of things I'd like to make, have, use than I ever have time to screw with.

If this brush cutter see's fruition it's going to be simple and most probably a simple belt drive.

I think I've killed the want to have a drum type cutter. Too easy to ply a neighbor with beer to have him cut it for me.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Hiway,living in the south i'm surprised you have not seen the winchs that the old pulp wood guy used to make out of a car rearend?
They cut a section out of one axle tube,leaving the axle bolted into the tube,then they welded a spool for the cable to the axle and then welded the whole mess onto the truck frame,the cut axle end was free standing,sort of.
It was welded to one frame rail,the rest of the housing was welded to the other frame rail.
The PTO shaft was hooked to the yoke and the brake drum on the housing side was used as the clutch to make the winch spool/drum rotate.
The cable went up and over onto a jib and the cable had a set of ice tongs on the end to pick up the logs.
The brake was cable operated,using the emergency cable and a lever.
This was a very common setup in Fl. up into the late 80s maybe,when all those small pulp wood guys died off.
The winchs were on one ton trucks and the biggest trucks were maybe F600s and 60 series chevys.

I built a fertilizer spreader out of a car rearend once,the yoke was pointed up,i used a railroad crossing sign (round,yellow and alum) bolted to the yoke for a spinner,a cross made of 1'' angle iron was bolted to the sign.
The axle had a tongue welded to it and was hooked to the tractor.
A plywood hopper was above the spinner and a simple valve made of plywood and angle controlled the rate of flow.
Pulling it made the spinner spin and it threw fertilizer everywhere,if anything it spun way to fast.
But it did work.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

I am in the process of building a PTO drive to run my PTO generator with a small diesel engine using a front diff from a Dodge truck (IFS). The engine will chug at about 1900 RPM, running in the supposed sweet spot for power and fuel efficiency.

I have seen post hole augers, rotary mowers, and even rototillers made with differentials. I even saw a grain auger that used a cut down diff as a 90 degree drive!

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 PM

There was a local machine shop that made cathead winches out of old truck rear ends. IIRC he wanted the ford rear ends that split in the middle. he gave me $25 for every one I drug up. Good money for late 70s. he said he had a long list of shrimpers waiting for his winches.