Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 AM

I built one back in the '70's, I used a diff out of an Austin Westminster which was a small truck size. I welded the cluster. Took one side off an welded/ plated over and hung it from there. It dug thousands of holes, my brother in law and I did contracting with it. I also made the auger for it. I have no idea where it ended up as we split the partnership up and he kept the machinery as I had no use for it but I do know he was still using it many years later.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
the winchs that the old pulp wood guy used to make out of a car rearend?
Randy, those logger guys are much further North of me and I've had a tendency to stay well away from that rowdy bunch.

Thinking on it, we had several discussions here at SFT on winch setups using rearends and such.

My questions were of the durability of the chunk itself and less of a worry about the existing axle shafts breaking or twisting.

I say not worrying about the shafts as in the past doing hi-po work for a few racers that wanted these huge MT tires of over 30" wide, tubing the trunk areas and thus having to shorten the differential tubes on either side, I've cut and re-welded and balanced these axles to be used on chunks having to absorb the torque driven by 1k hp under the hood. So, with the use of a sort of slip clutch or the use of belts, the axle shafts used to couple to a pto shaft is not the issue at all for me.

It would be nice if something could be added to the gearing locking the gears rather than welding the crap out of one side. Of course the use of brakes on that one side and thus having the built in slip clutch with the brake system, that would be the cats meow.

I so much appreciate all of the inputs offered. Always a pleasure to ask a question and receive the needed answers.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 09-26-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Back in the day when "over-the-counter" stuff was far less common and a lot more expensive people used to improvise and adapt a lot more than they do today. Re-purposing things like differentials was an inexpensive and creative way to mechanize operations which otherwise would have been done manually.

When I was a kid growing up in the 50s and 60s there was a substantial salmon fishery on the Fraser River and virtually all the boats that fished the river were gill-netters. They carried a large drum mid-ships which was used to roll up the net when it was being retrieved--many of those drums were powered by small engines driving through a small 4-speed transmission, a differential and a chain reduction.

When I first got into the welding game in the late 60s and early 70s I built a few post-hole augers using rear diff assemblies. A few years later my father-in-law and I built several mechanical horse walkers using automotive diffs for the right angle drive--I kinda miss those days...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
years later my father-in-law and I built several mechanical horse walkers using automotive diffs for the right angle drive--I kinda miss those days...
These are found all over as well. Unfortunately they were real popular with those that trained and fought dogs. (bastards)

They would not drive the walker, but rather put a live chicken in front of the dog to chase and add weights to be drug on the ground as a form of resistance to build muscle.

Working for the local CAP in Kansas and in La. we found several of these things with no horses and thus reported them as we were asked to do. Same with roosters.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!