Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Compressor Reed valve suggestions?

I always come in contact with the mechanical fringe of the hobby/farm/sometime inventors, that said...............

I got a call from a friend of a friend of an unknown to me feller who sent me a picture of a reed valve supplied by some unknown supplier which was originally used on some unknown large shop air compressor.

All I know of the situation is the fact that there are two automotive engines that were modified, like I've done in the past, to become pto driven air compressors.

One engine is a flathead ford engine with a stroker kit. The original heads were removed and reed check valves for intake and exhaust are of the type in the pic I've added.

The other engine is a stroked 454 chebby with the same modifications done to the heads to allow the same reed valve type/size??/shape as in the pic.

The heads are both using 1" thick plate with a box affair added to allow the placement of the exh side reeds.

I've got no pics of the engines and due to the situation of someone thinking they are reinventing the wheel by selling plans for this, all I've been asked to do is come up with the reed replacement parts.

My question to you guys and gals is, does the reed in the pic jostle anyone's mind as to some supplier/compressor manufacturer that might still have this style available.

Making a reed like this while time consuming, can be done as I've done many of like use and applications. I've also found better materials to be used today compared to those I could find 35 years ago for the same applications.

My wish is to not get this involved with the 'inventor'.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REED VALVE PATTERN.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	141270  

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 09-29-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Elite Member

you forgot the pic
Old 09-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Lord of the Minions

Sry bout that. I was in a hurry to go to sleep.

Spring steel sheet, self etching primer, a pattern, a scribe, dc power, salt, water and s/s trode and I can make them. I just would rather not have to.

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

Search egay yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VT210300AJ-C...gAAOSw0JpV3znC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-82-YAMA...tXroVZ&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reed-valves-...xU59uX&vxp=mtr
Old 09-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Lord of the Minions

GR, thanks for looking......... but all that I've gleaned from Ebay as yet are not the fix.

Of reed valves I've tried on my builds in the 2 stroke world were off the larger V-6 Merc o/bs. But using the single reeds makes for a complicated and much larger head setup/foot print for the intake and exhaust sets.

Having a triple or quad or a flower petal set up, things get even more complicated with having to fab the boxes for intake and exh porting.

When the m/c world first came out with carbon fiber cages for the two strokes, I at first was excited, bought a set of 4, built boxes to contain and found out that the time in service matched reed sets built/made out of thin handled paint scraper material.

One thing I was told is that the owner of these two engines is sure that there is no cooling in work at the head where the exh/pressure flow out. Which to me is making anything else down stream to collect moisture work that much harder as well as allowing head/engine temps to rise to an unacceptable borderline considering the environment the reeds are having to work under.

If you happen to check a typical air compressor to tank line while it's been working for a good 15 to 20 minutes you'll see what I mean. With cooling being done at the exh porting and exit you can feel the difference. A temp gage will bear that out.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Standard of Excellence

Why not just have the local water jet place cut them out?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Lord of the Minions

The gent is wanting to find the replacements from a supplier and that is my only goal. He's a confusing odd cheap bastard and I'm not going any farther with this as I made clear with my known friend.

I've since made a sound decision to not offer to make anything for him as doing so would put me on the hook when they fail, which they will due to the non-standard application.

Etching them out in the salt bath is by far the cheapest, almost set and forget while the etching does it's job. I know from experience with respect to material and thickness's about how much time is needed to the hour.

My suggestion to him this afternoon which BTW absolves me of any further involvement, was to tell him his best bet was a spring steel sheet of like thickness and to cut his own or to have a shop jet it.

I want nothing more to do with this person.

When asked other questions of what he might do to the engines themselves he was met with answers of "I don't know", "I'm not sure", "I have no idea without being involved hands on and I'm not cheap", or "Your in over your head until you learn simple mechanics and basic shop workings". I've stopped short of calling him a fucking idiot, but he is an idiot.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
The gent is wanting to find the replacements from a supplier and that is my only goal. He's a confusing odd cheap bastard and I'm not going any farther with this as I made clear with my known friend.

I've since made a sound decision to not offer to make anything for him as doing so would put me on the hook when they fail, which they will due to the non-standard application.

Etching them out in the salt bath is by far the cheapest, almost set and forget while the etching does it's job. I know from experience with respect to material and thickness's about how much time is needed to the hour.

My suggestion to him this afternoon which BTW absolves me of any further involvement, was to tell him his best bet was a spring steel sheet of like thickness and to cut his own or to have a shop jet it.

I want nothing more to do with this person.

When asked other questions of what he might do to the engines themselves he was met with answers of "I don't know", "I'm not sure", "I have no idea without being involved hands on and I'm not cheap", or "Your in over your head until you learn simple mechanics and basic shop workings". I've stopped short of calling him a fucking idiot, but he is an idiot.
Group,

The above is quoted as it needs to be engraved upon your brain before opening your mouth.

I still must learn to say no, hell no, get thee away from me, more often and with much enthusiasm.

Thank you LW for bringing it to my attention.

Scott
Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Thank you LW for bringing it to my attention.

As I get older it gets easier to say "ok, I'm done". lol