Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 04-22-2016, 06:15 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Default No. 3, This time from scratch.

I'm going big or going home. Well not too big, but provided that in a few days nothing big happens that throws a wrench in my closing on a new home, I will have a fresh new canvas which to place a new shop.

I don't really want this to take all year and I for once actually have some customers waiting on a few items. I have decided that it will be 36x54 with a 16' wall until some dumb code or other item comes and tells me otherwise. I don't know much about grade work or concrete, but will have it paid done, maybe just a few pointers from the crowd here so I don't get screwed by some shifty contractor? Grannit most I've heard are really good in this neck of the woods.

One decision to make, there seems to be a lot of people placing poles on the slab and connecting to precast anchors in the pour? I guess I was naturally partial to setting poles in holes and then pouring?

Next decision, although it is a much larger cost, do I just go ahead with 6" over 4" of concrete? Only thing holding me back is cost on that one, but really understand the justification.

No insulation or water lines in this one, my plan is to segregate a 18x36 portion off and insulate and heat with wood stove some day. The rest is left cold. The heated portion will have an interior overhead door, and the main barn a large slider.

Providing this will work and a contractor is game this Menards barn is my thought.

Anyone care to take a stab at building labor cost and concrete for me?

I thought concrete at $110 yard would cost 36*54*.5 = 972 feet^3, then 972/27 = 36 Yards. 36*110 = $3960. This would be more for labor and rebar. Then I wonder how much labor should I expect for the rest of the erection and grade work?

Hopefully upon closing I will post pictures of the site and ask for the groups feed back.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 04-22-2016, 07:16 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
so I don't get screwed by some shifty contractor?
First off, congrats. I lost count of what shop number Im on. Seems just as I get one done, I end up moving.

Hire me as a project manager... I used to do that for a living. Im into best practices, not minimum code.

Id throw this out there, what ever you decide for electrical, double it, and put everything in steel. If you want to use romex, fine, use steel boxes, quad receptacles. Quality receptacles. Cant have enough power enough places.

Provide allot of images along the way, and we collectively should see any thing major going south, before its completed, and can still be rectified.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 AM

Rereading this couple things come to mind..

If you place the overhead door to the south, expect allot of heat in the summer. My doors will be facing north, which traditionally, is not done in this part of the country, when you can pick from 4 sides.

Windows provide opportunity of theft.

Buy the best overhead door your budget will allow.

Sliding doors suck ass.. for lots of reason, Id avoid them like the plague. Just my opinion. If they are free, Id avoid them. Yes, even for cold storage. Plan on snow coming in, rain, moist air hitting cold items ( aka rust ), its all bad, rodents, the wind, the hardware,...after you own them, you dont want them. Even farmers no longer put sliding doors on buildings ( Ive seen many retro-fitted ), even when they need a massively wide ( spelled expensive ) door on a building to get large equipment in and out.

One other thought if you heating your work area, air infiltration is your #1 insulating enemy. You can have R-50 walls but if the place is built so loose you can through a cat through the seams, the R-50 might as well be R-1.

As far as the posts, if code will allow, above grade gets you out of the rot problem, Ive watched that being repaired in the past. Albeit through the slab is probably more stable, until it quits working.

Id be sure to vapor seal, and insulate the slab,... thats a big deal, you cant go back and rememdy.

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 04-22-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Grumpy Bastard

I agree with all of Windy's points. Learned a few the hard way...

I will add, "DO NOT BURY THE FUCKING POSTS IN THE GROUND!!!"

There are several ways to avoid it. I put a cinderblock frost wall in the
ground in my pole barn. I spent a summer as a kid replacing poles in
a barn, you never want to do that, ever!!!

6" concrete with fiber and rebar, if you plan on living there long. Our
kind of toys are much heavier than a car or truck.

I suggest pipe and wire for electric and I am glad I surface mounted all of
mine as my shop evolved a lot over the last 20 years.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Auction Addict

Like STW says, surface mounted wire lends itself to modifications much easier. I like windows for natural light. More prone to theft, yes, but much nicer to work in. What you doing for lighting?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Like STW says, surface mounted wire lends itself to modifications much easier. I like windows for natural light. More prone to theft, yes, but much nicer to work in. What you doing for lighting?
On Ron's and Chris's note, surface mount provides for uninterrupted insulation, and provides for post reconfiguration.

Im currently piping my entire shop, on the surface. First time for that, in the past Ive buried it in the wall. Id have piped the house on the surface, but I dont think the misses would dig that shit, but there is already allot that has needed to be modded, and I went REALLY LONG wiring this house, that is to say, Im shocked, that I didnt get it right.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Cool Dave. If you put a slider door on it you will hate yourself for years to come. Y'all get much snow/ice there? Track doors and winter weather don't play well together.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 04-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
...No insulation or water lines in this one, my plan is to segregate a 18x36 portion off and insulate and heat with wood stove some day. The rest is left cold...
This I don't understand. There's no way in Hell that I would go to all the trouble and expense of putting up a shop and then not bother to heat it. I wouldn't do it here where we have a mild climate, let alone back there where you get real winter.

I've spent enough time working in cold damp environments to know that the alternative is much better--there's nothing like cold steel and frozen fingers to turn a simple project into an ordeal. I like my creature comforts--must be an old guy vs. young guy thing. I was young and dumb once...........well, I was young anyway...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
...I like my creature comforts--must be an old guy vs. young guy thing. I was young and dumb once...........well, I was young anyway...
Keith,

Finchy has never been accused of being real sharp...

Finchy,

We love you!!!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
This I don't understand. There's no way in Hell that I would go to all the trouble and expense of putting up a shop and then not bother to heat it. I wouldn't do it here where we have a mild climate, let alone back there where you get real winter.

I've spent enough time working in cold damp environments to know that the alternative is much better--there's nothing like cold steel and frozen fingers to turn a simple project into an ordeal. I like my creature comforts--must be an old guy vs. young guy thing. I was young and dumb once...........well, I was young anyway...
I'm dumb, but to keep heating efforts down, my thought is that I will partition the shop from 36x54 to 36x18 (Second pole) and frame and insulate that section with an interior overhead door for heating. Then for things that don't matter, like my plasma table or steel storage or something else, I can get it done in the cold, and then drive it through into the smaller heated section to do any finer drilling milling or turning or whatever need be in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Keith,

Finchy has never been accused of being real sharp...

Finchy,

We love you!!!

If calling me Finchey, I prefer it to be spelled with an e before y.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn