Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default Shop LEDS

I have been considering LED lighting in my shop as the fluorescent T5 use 2300 watts and the 2 hybay lights use 800 watts.
It has been mentioned by one guy that leds are dust magnets and will be covered with dirt in a shop. So I got a box of 60 watt corncob bulbs from China and hung one right over the welding table and started doing this fence build. I figure with all the grinding and welding smoke that should foul it up for sure.
After welding some 1/2" material today I checked and it was as clean as it was a month back.

So I went onto Alibaba and ordered these 150 watt units. They were not cheap, they could have been, but for my specs.

Most mogul base bulbs in larger wattage have 2 muffin fans in them for cooling. I can see those things seizing up from the welding smoke and plasma dust and grinding disk vapors in a year. Also most mogul base corncobs have the power supply right inside the base of the bulb. So, when your guaranteed 20 year bulb quits after five years, it is a failed power supply, just like the CF bulbs.

I ordered waterproof exterior bulbs encased in plastic with a separate external power supply. These are surprisingly heavy, about 2.5 kg and are 5 inches round and 9 inches of led strips, about 12" overall. I also ordered 6000k color as I like the cold white.

So today I balanced on top of the ladder and removed the mercury bulbs and ballasts, and set out to convert them.

First picture is the bulb out of the box, with a tape measure for comparison.
Second is the old light with the guts removed.
Third is the new power supply screwed into the old case instead of the capacitor.
Testing..it lives
Last one is my shop lit with one 150 watt bulb and the corncob hanging over the welding table.

So now I have 2 bulbs burning less than one mercury bulb did, and it does not affect the auto welding helmet like the mercs did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02180.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	131181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02175.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	131182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02176.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	131183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02177.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	131184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02178.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	131185  

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 04-29-2016, 12:43 AM
there has to be an answer

Looks good, it seems much brighter. This is definitely the time to change with power prices going up.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Not sure about Canada & CSA listings, but if you gut a fixture & use those lamps the UL listing is voided. There is not much can be done about that in a home shop, but if employees using the shop, it can be a real big deal.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 AM

Depending on who you read, it is equivalent to 400 or 600 watt metal halide....but it sure starts quicker.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Boiler God

Gerry,

I very concerned, the shop has way too much open space and is way too clean, you setting a bad example for the rest of us................

Last edited by platypus20; 04-30-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM

I'm sorry Jack. I will do better on the clutter and junk collecting.
As a upside to this, I have not swept the empty spots on the floor for 6 months.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:18 AM

A 4 years ago I replaced my outdoor floods and one single bulb fixture with LED's...love them! They work rain or shine, hot or cold, no more CFL's suffering in winter.

2 weeks ago, I replaced the six 60w incandescents in the part of my barn I store my boat trailer and tractor with 100w LED A19 bulbs (total cost was $45). Huge, huge difference and all six are using less power than just two of those old incans.

I want to replace all my shop lighting with LED, but haven't figured out if I want to convert the old T-12 fixtures to use LED tubes, or just replace all the fixtures with another configuration.

They have direct swap LED tubes that will work on CFL ballasts, but that sort of defeats the power savings (and the tubes are more expensive), or take out the ballast and put in the LED power supply (cheaper, but still pricey), or just use regular old single bulb fixtures with A19 type LED bulbs. I could buy, hang and populate six or seven fixtures for the cost of just a single 4ft LED shop light.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
there has to be an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
Not sure about Canada & CSA listings, but if you gut a fixture & use those lamps the UL listing is voided. There is not much can be done about that in a home shop, but if employees using the shop, it can be a real big deal.
Generally, CSA is equivalent or more stringent than UL. So yes any mod voids the rating. I am also sure Gerry did it safely. He lives in a no inspection zone.

It is a neat idea to have a separate power supply. Am I correct in assuming you can just put in the PS at the panel and turn the whole circuit into 48 v and then use lower cost bulbs (PS-less). I would imagine a separate PS is much more reliable than an in-bulb PS. On a larger job there'd be a big cost saving and reliability increase.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Potentially, depends on the type of light/fixture, but most likely it would require breaking off the segments on their own feed.

Some of the fixtures are "daisy chainable", but only up to a certain number of lights. The further down the chain you go, the more current is running through the first light (and may not withstand too much), and lower voltage reaching the last light (meaning dimmer lights).

Still doable and not terribly complex, but from what I've been reading, the recommendation is usually a PS for each "leg" or segment of multiple fixtures.

Then there's the "all your eggs in one basket" argument. If all your lights ran from one PS and it dies, you have no lighting at all, not to mention a more expensive cost for a big PS.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Default Roi

So, what is you return on investment going to be?
At a 800 watt saving x number of on hours how long will it take to equal what you paid?