Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Default Can crusher....It all needs to come full circle

I am looking at replicating this idea, only I will want to add a feed to it. I am especially interested in its automatic ability.

https://youtu.be/MpgrDgFz-RA

I had a class several years ago on these things, and remember about 5% of it.

What I know:

This application uses a double acting cylinder, and the valve that he uses to control it is controlled with poppets for when the pressure builds up enough it will switch direction? I don't know how to figure out whether that is a 2 way or 3 way 2 position valve or what not. I also think I would like a Flow control valve in it somehow to control speed?

As for everything must come full circle, well it goes like this. I want to learn a bit about casting, and am in the middle of a burner build and this spring will look at making a foundry out of some castable refractory. I can then use both a CNC router and a 3D printer that I have and need to figure both out still and make models for generating the molds.

Crush cans, melt aluminum and make molds and then cast them. Everything I've been procuring is a step in this direction.

Help on the crushing components would be appreciated.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

If I would use crushed cans. I would keep them near the crucible to preheat the paint right off them ,to ensure no moisture is present.

As far as the crusher, anything you do adds cost to the final product.
Most people crush to haul more to the recycling depot.

In your case, you are simply melting at the same location, I would look
at some way to use the furnace's exhaust to pre-heat a large funnel of them,
melting down as they hit the temp, with no crushing needed.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

If you don't melt crushed cans in an Inert atmosphere, you don't get much but dross. Hot aluminum produces oxide even faster than room temperature aluminum . :-)
...lew...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
If I would use crushed cans. I would keep them near the crucible to preheat the paint right off them ,to ensure no moisture is present.

As far as the crusher, anything you do adds cost to the final product.
Most people crush to haul more to the recycling depot.

In your case, you are simply melting at the same location, I would look
at some way to use the furnace's exhaust to pre-heat a large funnel of them,
melting down as they hit the temp, with no crushing needed.
Lets start with the thought process that most of what I do is not to make a buck. Maybe in the end if someone wants something. Other than that I do things like this to help educate myself, and If I make a video of it then I get my monetary payments from YouTube. And then perhaps if I do a decent job then I take what I have learned along the way and others around the world that watch the video ca learn something and possibly be inspired to do do something other than watching YouTube.

As for economics of crushing before smelting. You would only be able to get one or 2 cans in a crucible at start if not crushed. Then one at a time once melted down. But if crushed say you get 10 at the beginning and once you melt them and have enough space to through 5 more in at a time.

As for paint and stuff, it all skims off the top in form of dross later.

My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

Old 02-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Maybe you didn't understand some of my concerns.

Some people will NOT put crushed can in a crucible, for the explosion hazard.

I'm sure the paint is not a problem, I simply used it as a simple tempilstick
as to when the "water is boiled out" of said cans.

Maybe you should simply shear in half on an iron worker (lengthwise)
then you will have cans that are crushed nice and flat, and no containment issues.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Doug,
Using air is a electrically expensive way to go, compared to a crankshaft and con rod setup. I would use the crankshaft idea driven by a gear motor, and instead of buddies piston I would have a plate sticking up into the trough that would crush on the forestroke and backstroke. That guy is wasting 50% of the motion.
I think a feeder can be made for each end of the crushing ram plate by having a vibrating hopper. A can, dumped onto a vibrating surface will want to fall over, and then down the hatch.

As for all the other concerns expressed, you use a flux when smelting to seal off the air. And exploding pop cans, not so much an issue. Left over beer is squeezed out and cans rupture during crushing.
In backyard smelting you do it in batches. Fill the crucible with metal, ad flux and begin heating. As the metal begins to puddle at the bottom it is under the flux powder, which melts long before the aluminum, and the beer has steamed off as the temp goes up.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 02-23-2017, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=Ironman;681903]Doug,
Using air is a electrically expensive way to go, compared to a crankshaft and con rod setup. I would use the crankshaft idea driven by a gear motor, and instead of buddies piston I would have a plate sticking up into the trough that would crush on the forestroke and backstroke. That guy is wasting 50% of the motion.
I think a feeder can be made for each end of the crushing ram plate by having a vibrating hopper. A can, dumped onto a vibrating surface will want to fall over, and then down the hatch.
[QUOTE]

Uhm....I was the one that said his crushing idea used a bunch-o of power.

The O.P. states he doesn't care about cost.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Hell my originally thought would be a crank shaft and rod for crushing powered by a battery powered drill. I wanted to relearn some of the pneumatics and then have a mild "cool" factor with this portion.

I thought about using a double acting double rod and crushing one side then the other as well. I mean lets be clear, this is likely going to be an end of night of drinking hey look at this kind of thing. Place it behind some glass so no fingers go places they shouldn't and then fill the nights empties into a hopper. Uncertain of overall end game, but really need to figure out a valve situation The cylinder is easy to figure out.

My YouTube Channel

Old 02-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Director of Languages

is it not dog slow?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
is it not dog slow?
Yes, terribly.
If I wanted to do this, I would use a couple of large rollers, about 18" diameter made from pipe, with a 1/2" spacing. put some 1/4" rod tack welded horizontally allong the surface spaced about 1.5 inches apart to grab the cans. You may not need to drive the second roll, the cans may do it.
Put on a gas motor and run the rolls at 5-800 rpm and a big hopper over top of the rolls. I could care less what the product looks looks as long as it takes up less room.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green