JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I had shitty Chinese mag. ballasts that were over 20 years old, I checked the
current draw of one of my fixtures before and after, IIRC I was at 36% or 38%
of the current draw with the LEDs over the old T-12's and the shitty antique
ballasts. But I think I paid $5 per fixture with bulbs in '96 new for 12 fixtures
and I think I was on my third set of bulbs when I switched to the LED's earlier
this year. Still using the same fixtures.

I do have some T-8's with electronic ballasts but I have not switched them over yet.

Close enough I say a 1/3...

Sounds like you did OK then. Maybe I should wait a bit, my 4K T-8s are still bright and trouble free. One thing about LED lighting, at least to this point, the longer you wait the cheaper and better the products get. Like you said tho watch out for sub par junk which is out there. Regulation on lighting is very loose and there is really no one out there verifying the claims of the manufacturers.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Sounds like you did OK then. Maybe I should wait a bit, my 4K T-8s are still bright and trouble free. One thing about LED lighting, at least to this point, the longer you wait the cheaper and better the products get. Like you said tho watch out for sub par junk which is out there. Regulation on lighting is very loose and there is really no one out there verifying the claims of the manufacturers.
Yup.

The Hyperikon LEDs will be much brighter than my current T-8s but the T-8s
are good enough for now. I do have a 4 bulb fixture in my kitchen and the
bulbs are dying in it. I plan on the same ballast deletion, but instead of 4; I
will like just put in 2 LEDs and blind everyone... LOL.

I am really happy with the Hyperikon LEDs I have seen some cheaper fixtures
in Lowes and Menards but they were not as bright as the 6000K Hyperikons,
but they were cheaper.

And as the older you get the more light you need to see shit.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-07-2017, 03:05 PM

Well I did some more research, and it looks like the conversion is super easy so I'd rather just replace the bulbs and get rid of the ballasts… But it looks like most of my fixtures have a old style tombstone on them and it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6646.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	142451  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Well I did some more research, and it looks like the conversion is super easy so I'd rather just replace the bulbs and get rid of the ballasts… But it looks like most of my fixtures have a old style tombstone on them and it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to replace.
Tombstones are very easy to replace. Just pop them out and pop the new ones in. There is a metal plate that keeps them upright but it is also removeable to make inserting the new ones easier. You may have to pull the end cap outwards first. The tombstones push in from the bottom side and snap into place. New ones don't have leads on them but you just push some small gauge solid wire into the spring loaded terminals.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A34MFVQ7ZZQFY8

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Post Fiend

Default Let there be light! (not the movie)

I got one of these (first stock pic) to fill an empty light hole in the shop. LINK The picture does NOT do it justice--these things are bright! At $40 after tax and card discount they are not cheap... It is entirely sealed--no user replaceable parts inside. I believe it comes with a 5yr warranty--any issues I'd bring it right back to Lowe's. PS: 3800 lumens but MUCH brighter than the pair of 60w florescents next to it...

I picked up the littler lights to use as "drop" lights for underhood or underneath a car, etc. I've been mostly using the bigger of the two and it works much better than the cheapy HF fluorescent shown. The smaller of the two also runs off 12v and has about a 30' cord included for that. About $20 each from Lowe's and much nicer and brighter than the HF units for the same price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leddy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	142494   Click image for larger version

Name:	ledlite1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	142495   Click image for larger version

Name:	ledlite2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	142496  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 12-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Blast this!

The power company bought them to relamp the plant .They make good light. Over my press inspection table they went with a 6 k color corrected .
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I got one of these (first stock pic) to fill an empty light hole in the shop. LINK The picture does NOT do it justice--these things are bright! At $40 after tax and card discount they are not cheap... It is entirely sealed--no user replaceable parts inside. I believe it comes with a 5yr warranty--any issues I'd bring it right back to Lowe's.

I picked up the littler lights to use as "drop" lights for underhood or underneath a car, etc. I've been mostly using the bigger of the two and it works much better than the cheapy HF fluorescent shown. The smaller of the two also runs off 12v and has about a 30' cord included for that. About $20 each from Lowe's and much nicer and brighter than the HF units for the same price.

Those little 12V/120V work lights are great! I put a big Harbor Freight magnet on one and it sticks to the underside of the hood.
Costco has a very nice 4 foot indoor/outdoor LED light that has motion options as well, I hung several in the shop so if I run out there at night to get something my pathway thru the shop is lit without me turning on any switches. The one just inside the service door is very sensitive and will come on if I knock on the door or turn the key in the lock! which also adds another layer of security.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Those are recessed double contact tombstones, used for HO, High Output 800 ma, lamps, and VHO, Very High Output 1500 ma lamps, it might be better just to dump the fixtures & get new LED ones, F96T12 VHO lamps are rated at 215 watts each & that does not include ballast loss, the HO's were 110 watts, now the standard ones are 95 watts due to energy regs., now the 110W version is rated for cold temps. I use the HO lamps in my shop back room & some perimeter lighting fixtures in the shop, converted a couple to T8 HO because it only cost me about $7 a fixture plus my time to do so. Did see a local store swap out their 8' florescent lamps to LED, they were slimline (single pin) though.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:07 PM

I have a 48" 2 tube LED wired into the door opener in my garage, its only been down to 22° F this year, but you open the door and you have light, it never fails to light . Replaced 2 2 tube 8' florescent with 2 48" LED, WOW don't quite need sun glasses but I love the light 5000K no flicker no hum just bright light.

Tags
led, shop light