Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 12-02-2017, 11:12 AM

that's 30 percent at 160 amps... using 7018 1/8th your running say 120 amps.. way below 160 your power factor increases greatly..i have one of these machines..20yrs old now and I cant kill it....mines blue but there all the same technology. and to be honest most people around the house prbly run 3/32 so 90-100 amps....so your even further away from the 30 percent factor
Old 12-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Lord of the Minions

For years and years within the Oil and Gas industries all you saw on site were the 200 Lincoln gas machines, then diesel later on.

If you found someone with a Miller electric box it was few and far between. Most all Farmers I pal'd with used at a minimum the Tombstones of either. Most were AC only though.

All of the little cracker box welders from Lincoln I've used over the years most always felt the same in how they burnt rods of a particular size and amp setting.

They've never left me lacking in worth and a quality bead.

While I do have 3 blue machines in my shop full time, 180, Econotig and the beast MM350P, I do hit the "thunk switch" often on the big red and have a go. These things have never let me down with issues. One being over 50 years old now.

The MM350P proved it's worth making a few needed alterations on a good friends 3 crawfish boats on a Sunday back and in quick order using the new push/pull gun now about a year old. He gave me $10 bucks for gas and wire, but offset my time due to the ditching machine he gave me some months back.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I'm buying a machine for a distant cousin, a young Lady, worthy of such an expense her first large investment in welding equipment etc.

She inherited her G'pa's cutting torches which I repaired and got in good working order and have allowed her to have me supply her cylinders as long as she keeps the annual rental fee's etc money to me. I was given his Tombstone in AC only by an Uncle that came with the SA and cannot part with it as due to it's original owner and being one of the first machines I ever welded with as a kid.

I've looked at Hobart LX(????) and used this machine, but it did not trip any triggers over the tombstone Lincolns of AC/DC machine.

It's not price I'm looking at to make any decisions, but rather has something else hit the scene of like abilities?

I own both Lincolns in AC only and the AC/DC machine and for the life of me have not found anything in that price range that will suit my needs as able of the big Reds.

FWIW, I've owned Miller stick machines in AC/DC in 220 vlts and have no wants to repeat that agony, but suggestions will be considered.
Take a second look at HF new line of clones the vulcan comander AC/DC 225 amp machine
I've tested it and it is no disapointment and the pricee is rite
i cant do a link from my tablet other wise i would. their new line seem to be clones of NB machines i find them worthy i actualy sold all my red and blue to purchace the ones i have and so far not even colse to being disapointed
just my opinion though.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
vulcan comander AC/DC 225 amp machine
A few years back a co-worker bought a HF MIG, no idea what model exactly.

I do know that he was trying to add frame members to a trailer to haul a large BBQ pit and other items to the trailer for his weekend cooking and selling foods at flea markets and special for hire occasions.

When he got into the welding, I made the effort to go to his house and was utterly amazed at his attempt at beads. Not just the fact that the machine was not up to the task due to the size of the material, but it being his first time to weld as well.

I asked and made sure he had a 220 outlet in his little outbuilding, drove 156 miles rnd trip and brought my MM180matic and helped repair his and continued to show him how to weld more correctly for fusion.

I also made a few changes to the way he had his setup to where with a little pre-heat he was able to have his machine make good beads.

When I'm in HF I have not given their machines a second look. Maybe I need to do so next time I'm there.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Default HF Equipment and tools

I hear you HF has had not so good a run in past years on their welding equipment and other tools.

But for the DIY guy they were an are affordability source for tools
an a source for people with very little knowledge of what they are doing to buy tools, one instance the manager at one of the stores asked me to help a customer out and explain to him that their 90 amp flux core welding machines were not capable of welding a 1/2" winch mount plate to a gooseneck trailer for a 10k winch not a good idea nor was it safe and he should take it to a welding shop to have it welded according to its intended purposes.

anyway over the years HF has started to up their Game with better and affordable tools problem I am seeing is they are upping their game even more now on QC in their tools and this is good! IMO but seems almost as if at some point
the general DIY guy realizes its not so affordable in certain aspects of tool buying.

As for a tool from Them I would not recommend a tool from them I know is a total POS or one I know is a one time use tool even though ill buy a one timer use tool just because I'm too lazy to clean it or ill never use it again I do this with spray guns mostly use it and toss it.

but they do have some very good tools that wont cost a man is first born
and will do the job for years down the road just like the NB tool

Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

I wonder if HF will allow shipping to one of it's stores for picking up something like this. I remember having to load my 350P in the parking lot into the back of my truck, by myself.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:54 PM

No I've asked before, but you can buy at HF on line and ship to you house or business or where ever you wish. all heavy items have a somewhat small shipping fee that way

Old 12-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Take a second look at HF new line of clones the vulcan comander AC/DC 225 amp machine
took a first, 2nd and 3rd look at this machine, read a few reviews found and ordered one. Price was right with a gift and discount cards to lessen the impact.

I love Christmas time.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Blast this!

How did you get away with a discount card on vulcan . Our local won't do any discount on those that are listed on the 20% off coupons .
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
How did you get away with a discount card on vulcan . Our local won't do any discount on those that are listed on the 20% off coupons .
In store they can loose their job for doing that not even management can circumvent the in store rules especially on new equipment lines

But online purchase is somewhat different and depends on time of year and or event sale.