Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Standard of Excellence

I found some plain sprockets on surplus center that are about 3.5" old and a 2" hole. With 4 holes and some spacers I think they will work fine.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Standard of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
We used to push one of our overheads with a long 2X4. It worked but was a pain.Its not fun trying to move a load by pushing on it or worse yet pulling on it and I don't think it would work with a drive on one side only. It would be nice if you could use a threw axle, one on each truck and use a U joint to drive like it the one drawing I posted. I will now get out of your hair so you can get it done the way you want it.

Ted
No worries. It is probably better to push a little anyway. I'll end up with a better product and it likely won't take any longer since I am doing it in my spare time.
If I put a sprocket on a wheel on each side, then I can chain drive them from the top of the truck (thinking out loud here {out loud in writing}). I can mount a shaft back close to the beam with the motor centered and not need any ujoints. I think this would be simpler than trying to reconfigure my wheels and axles to try and drive an axle
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Standard of Excellence

I located a motor with a gear reducer that I used to use on my modified Chinese roller to power it. I think it is 1-2 horse, and fairly slow. I can't remember if it is reversible though. I'll have to dig it out tomorrow.
Tomorrow is going to be a shop clean up day. I have been shuffling crap around to put up posts and beams. Now it is all in my way. A buddy of mine is coming some day next week to install a sub panel in the shop expansion. Originally he was going to move the compressor and phase converter out to the new side, but adding a sub panel gives me some better options. Once that is done I should have some more real estate inside the shop. Once the new part has the walls sheathed I am going to move the pallet racks and sand blaster out there as well. Might even be enough room to work when I am done.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Standard of Excellence

I also have a cheap overhead hoist. It has a controller, so is already reversible. I would just need to figure out how to adapt it to drive a shaft. I'm sure it wouldn't be horribly difficult.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Many years ago I helped build a radiator making machine. The table turned and we used a front wheel drive car axle with the joints in place bolted to an adapter at the motor and drilled and tapped onto the plate. This allowed some offset to place the motor and outputs.

Somewhere above there was a drawing posted of the bridge with driveshafts going out to the trolley setup. One could go to the local car wrecking yard and get at least 2 axles and change the length to fit what was needed and a small hollow shaft gearbox with a c face mount could be used and your current hoist part could be adapted to drive the whole setup.

you may even find a busted transmission out of a wrecked car to get the front wheel drive differential out of and do something there to build this.

Just throwing out ideas.

Scott
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Auction Addict

An ATV winch would work and they go slow. Just have to power it with 12V.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Something's Fishy ...

They make a 120 VAC version of the super winch