Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

Haven't done much pounding since the arm surgery. It is on my wish list and I know an old guy that has three of them. Missed one about ten years ago that a widow sold for $100.00. I also like someone else stated, have a couple different piles of plans for a power hammer laying around the shop. Don't think I am going to live long enough to finish that project.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 PM

WOW! I've never seen a powerhammer that big much less powered by gas!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
much less powered by gas
uh umm.. as in petrol? of course those that drive piles use all type of fuels. a friend has one on a barge that uses diesel and hits harder than thors hammer.

It aggravates me to hell and back that when I read posts in the Fire Arms room or other such, that it ends up costing me a grand or two before the weeks out. Damn you guys!

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

I can change out the leaf's and hammer weight in about 30 minutes and go from 75 lbs to 120 lbs of beat the hell out of what ever is between the anvils.
I have been scratching my head but without pictures I can't visualize how you would swap out from a 75lbs to 120lbs with changing head weight, leverage ratios and a few other tidbits.. So to be able to switch it out in 30min is awesome...

Hows about some pictures of the mystery machine???? Love to see it..

I had all the items for an air hammer.. would have been variable weight with variable height control with one strike capable..

Sadly when I stopped smithing and my Dad was hell bent on getting rid of my stuff.. So everything but the shuttle valve and micro switch went to scrap..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I can't visualize how you would swap out from a 75lbs to 120lbs with changing head weight, leverage ratios and a few other tidbits.. So to be able to switch it out in 30min is awesome...
The weight is changed by overall width and depth, not height. The stroke stays the same and I found a nice alternate in just adding different leafs as a complete set for the heavier weight.

The strokes remain the same, but I do change the belt to a slower set pulleys on a double pulley set to allow a tad slower hammer hit with the heavier weight.

The anvils stay the same, both upper and lowers to allow less die setups.

It works for me just fine. Works even better since it is now planted in concrete that is both deeper and sized for the hammer set into the original slab. That was the hardest part of the build due to not having an easy way to cut a slab.

I run a 3hp ele motor. Overkill, but the hammer loves that motors size. I bought the motor thinking I was going to make a dual buffing station from hell, but that never happened.

Thinking, I do have the set of plans I found on the net which is all I used to make this one and the smaller one I gave to a friend wanting to do a little work in his garage. As he's handicapped, he can do all of his smithing from his wheel chair. I like to spend time with him just to watch how he moves to and from each station he's got set up. I'd like to think I've helped him, but in reality, he has the ideas and I handle the grunt work. lol

The first and most impressionable pictures I found on these hammers was on 'appaltree.net'. I think.

Just hand drawings or musings of the creator as he was coming up with what his build would involve/evolve into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammer Drawing.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	137935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammer drawing too.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	137936  

It aggravates me to hell and back that when I read posts in the Fire Arms room or other such, that it ends up costing me a grand or two before the weeks out. Damn you guys!

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 02-20-2017 at 08:33 PM.