Grumpy Bastard

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...e-tool-311104/

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaler View Post
I find it surprising that the terminology used in another county cannot on this forum be accepted but realise such differences can create problems. The name Knife Tool can though be easily resolved by a quick visit to Google.

My books having been published in the US for a few years, by a US publisher, and sold in large numbers yet I have not had one person questioning a word.

My main purpose of publicizing my videos, showing my grinding rest being used, on this and other forums, has been to make known to those who have made one over the last 14 years that I have now produced videos to help them understand the method of using them. Maybe, no one on this forum has made one, but with it being made in the hundreds, publicizing them on many forums was the only way to attempt this.

However, as it would appear that I am not welcome here, which is not the case on all the others forums I visit, except for three, maybe four individuals, I will quietly depart.

Sorry "Shade Tree Welder"

Harold
I too, had not understood the terms you used. After I watched your video I found there are other terms for lathe turning tools. I read about your tool grinding system and even though I was not interested in making one, it was interesting to see what you have designed.

I would like to suggest that you reconsider dropping out of our forum since I think you have something to contribute here.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Last edited by milomilo; 02-28-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 PM
That HURT!

I had a rather lengthy reply typed out but I somehow lost it.

I have Harold's book on dividing in my shop and refer to it almost anytime I need to use a dividing head.

Harold's work on a table for cutting gears is referenced in the current issue of Home Shop Machinist.

While we speak the same language on both sides of the pond, once you enter the workshop, that same language differs quite a bit.

I certainly did not think that Harolds' promotion of a video describing the use of a tool he designed as SPAM in any way.

I do hope he decides to come back to SFT.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Honestly, I think you guys ran off a potentially good member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post

I certainly did not think that Harolds' promotion of a video describing the use of a tool he designed as SPAM in any way.

I do hope he decides to come back to SFT.
I agree. Mr. Hall's effort in sharing the results of his lifetime of devotion to his craft deserves some accommodation. If you take the time to poke around his website even a little while you can see that he's not selling a damned thing.
He's giving it away, partly to help people who may have already bought his books or just to anyone who takes time to watch his free videos.

Unfortunately, he ran into some post-menopausal carping over the meaning of "turning tool" vs "knife". Or something.
I doubt that he's coming back for more. And I don't blame him.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Elite Member

Well All I expected from the very first was a simple answer to the question I ask in the second post (first response to the post) and never got an answer till it got bad. I don't expect to have to GOOGLE every new word that comes along. Just as I expect to see the full words for an acronym or abbreviation when it first shows up in a post. Far too many don't do that either. (Including some here)
So Sorry if it contributed to ;
( I think you guys ran off a potentially good member. )
...lew...
Old 03-01-2017, 10:35 AM

For what its worth, it read to me like he was talking about wood turning tooling, I guess at least we know about his website now.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Honestly, I think you guys ran off a potentially good member.
No question about that.
There are different terms in every country, some of the US terms are ridiculous to the rest of the world, but the knowledge is universal and any attempt to share it should be appreciated.

Lathes were created in England, and their terminology would have precedence if all was fair in the world.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.

Tags
boring tool, harold hall, knife tool, sharpening