Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

Canaweld
SFT Search:   

Old 02-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Master Procrastinator

While doing some research on the subject, I found this site where the lazy among us can order 'coin rings' already made. He even has the machining tools available for those who want make their own with a bit more ease.

Quote:
found that with my paws it is uncomfortable when I close a fist,
From the looks of some sizes, I fear the same thing would happen if I were to get one made.

http://changeyoucanwear.net/product-.../silver-rings/
Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Not everyone has the machine shop tooling so if they want to play it is good there are things available.
and if what that site is charging, there is some coin to be made (pun) in this game.
I have started looking at money in a different way.

A flat ring takes very little time to do it, but making a barrel type takes more planning and knowing your size as you make it oversize and then crimp down the edges. I made the second one for my wife, no one has been able to find where the first one went into orbit off the buffing wheel....took me 15 minutes to make.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Ironman; 02-27-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Gadget Girl

Pretty neat..

I had seen somewhere years ago a hand crank machine that would turn a penny into a full sized ring.. Neat thing was you could read both the inside and the outside..

Nice looking work..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Elite Member

My dad stored the wrecked automobiles from his wrecker service at an old guy's place. This old guy was quite a character to say the least. I saw him do this twice, he would not let me have the quarter but always said he would teach me someday, well, someday never happened. But, he would drill a 1/4" hole in the middle of a quarter and then while shooting the bull for an hour or so, he would "tap" on this quarter on an anvil and after an hour or so, the ridged edge would be inside the 1/4" hole and the outside of the quarter was smooth! And one side of the quarter was beat up from the ball peen hammer but the other side was picture perfect.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

That's sort of the same as the folks who do it with a spoon. I kind of like the details to show on the outside, but i am no expert, just playing around while I wait for parts.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 AM

I like the gold look so I decided to do the Gadsen coin. I have always felt it was the motto of the conservative movement.
This coin is a copper 1 ounce piece that started life at 1.625 inch, and I wanted it to be flat with the snake on the outside.
As this is a non-standard coin size I had to machine another forcing cone just to get started. And another centering ring for the punch holder to punch the hole.

Copper is a pleasure to work with and in no time I turned it over and had a ring. I brought the inside up to 7/8" for my ring finger and this made the reeded edge over 1.25.
I wrapped it in tape and put it in the lathe and cut out the inside edge of the reeding, as the forcing cone moves all the normal flare to the inside, and it would never size right with the internal ridge.
When you are reducing something as large as 1.625 down to a finished 1.125" OD, that metal has to go somewhere so the ring becomes noticeably thicker at the reeded edge. I could have corrected this by machining out the excess from the inside, but I chose to have the inside walls parallel and leave the one side thick. If I cut out the inside, it would have wiped out the "Price of Liberty" and eagles head.
Still haven't been able to buff out the inside of a ring, I inherited a dremel, but other than carbide burrs, it is useless with the buffing attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gadsen.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	138224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gadsen eagle.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	138225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02493.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	138226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02494.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	138227   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02495.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	138228  

Old 03-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Auction Addict

I do like this last one's wording. Very nice Gerry.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I do like this last one's wording. Very nice Gerry.

+1, very nice indeed!

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM
One Lone Sub

Yes indeed Gerry. Very nice.
I wonder about a short trip through the tumbler to polish?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Yes indeed Gerry. Very nice.
I wonder about a short trip through the tumbler to polish?
Using a red compound and 6" buffing wheel, it takes a beautiful shine, and I should put some clear acrylic on it or nail polish(same thing). If not the oxygen starts to work right away, same as silver.
Or I can experiment with plating it with gold for fun. Might be a new time waster...

One good thing about these copper coins, they are cheap compared to silver.