Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Director of Languages

Default New tractor

For the last two years I've had an old ford 2600.

It was a bit rough but did the job, most of the time.

It did seem that every second time I wanted to use it that something else was gone wrong, and much and all as I like fixing and playing with machines and vehicles I wanted a tractor to work, nothing serious, just yard work and ploughing up a vegtable plot.

Anyhoo, I thought my clutch was dead so that was the last straw, I was getting rid of it. (turned out the clutch was just seized, but I'd decided it was time to move on anyway)

I came to this conclusion a few months ago but was too busy with other things to do much about selling it. then last week I saw a nice grey ferguson on ebay only about an hour from me.

It had a buy it now of around a grand, about what my ford was worth but seemed to be in better overall condition, emailed the seller and 48 hours later we did our swap.

I went back 22 years (i think) but gained tread on my tyres, better starting, a non sticky clutch, better/cheaper parts availability and better tin-work.

I've lost the cab but I'm a fairweather driver anyway so that doesnt bother me. plus it's not like there was much of the cab left anyway.

It needs some wiring work and new lift arms but otherwise it's fairly decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twosixontrailer.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	38737   Click image for larger version

Name:	greyfergie.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	38738  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Director of Product Reviews

Wow that is the first Ferguson I have seen in detail. Looks as though most parts are interchangeable with the Ford 9N/2N/8N tractors we see here in
Georgia so much. If you should have clutch problems they are easy to split and replace.

That tractor would be quite the collectors item here in the states. What year is your tractor?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Is that the right engine for that tractor? Something looks wrong.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 AM
there has to be an answer

Sounds like a good deal to me. If you're just doing yard work you'll probably enjoy the smaller size and find more uses due to its maneuverability.

What brand of tractor is it?

It's always more fun to be on top of a tractor than underneath fixing it.:evil::evil:
Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Director of Languages

@tommy, dunno how interchangeable parts are, but they were designed by the same man, harry ferguson.

I think it's a 54, I dont have paperwork to go with it, and I havent checked the serial numbers yet. they're very common in this side of the pond, mine was advertised buy it now for $1300 very clean ones would only be worth about $4000 fully restored. I reckon we could fit a lot of em in a container

@old man, yeah thats the right engine, it's a Standard 20c 4 cylinder diesel, supposed to put out 26 horsies in its day

@rancherbill, yeah the thing is unbelievably maneuverable, super tight lock on it, plus it's physically a whole lot smaller too. the only downsides are that I had a loader on the twosix and a transport box on the back and I think the transport box will be a bit heavy for it to be honest. gotta figure out some front wheel weights somehow.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Blast this!

There were very few diesels on this side of the pond. I think that may be what OM meant.Seems around here the Fergusons do not do as well on sale as the ford series.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I'm no tractor nut, but that looks allot like the
very common m.f. 135, but that old would be a 35, and
I believe the 1 added on for the desiel (too early for over here)

So it would be a 35, but that would spell out a gas model
(i'm not seeing sparkem plug wires, It definitly looks like
an injector pump)
Old 12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Director of Languages

the evolution goes something like this....

in the late 30s harry ferguson designed and built the black tractor, his first tractor with what has become the standard concept in three point linkage and draft control

then he joined forces with david brown to build the ferguson brown which was an evolution of the black tractor.

after that he joined up with ford to design the 9N, this then evolved into the 2n and eventually the 8n which came with tweaked hydraulics with added position control to avoid ferguson's patents as ford and ferguson had fallen out.

he returned to england and with the standard motor co. built the largely idenditcal TE20 series of tractors, of which mine is a TEF. it was available with many different engines, a few petrols, a diesel, tvo and lamp oil were all options.

This evolved into the FE35 which was then rebadged the MF35 when ferguson left massey harris ferguson. it had a simiar range of engines, although slightly stronger esp in the front casting and box. the diesel was still a Standard engine, now the 23c

This was rebadged with some minor tweaks including the venerable perkins ad3.152 engine as the short lived 35X

This was followed by the 135 which we all know and love.

It has to be said that if stripped of panelwork there's not much to tell apart between a 135 and a ford 2600 either.

soooooo, its definitely a 20, I think they were called TO20s in the states as opposed to TE20s
Old 12-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Ford and Ferguson were in cahoots together for a few years. In fact Ferguson was the one to invent the Three point hydraulic lift. Ford put it on his 9N-8N tractors as well. After the partnership fell apart Ferguson sued Ford (as in Henry) for the continued use of the three point hitch. It took many years for that to be settled.
The rear wheels, if not the same, are very similar to the 8N rear wheels. The front tires look like the ones used on the 9N due to the thin design. The rear end from the split point at the clutch is probably the same as the 9N. The lack of running boards with only pegs for you to place your feet are almost identical to the 9N/2N. Ford upgraded the 8N to have running boards.

I have some pictures of a 2N that I will try to find and post for you latter today so that you can see the similarities
Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Posted shortly after you Johnboy. Looks as though you have the full story already. Maybe I can still post the picture of the 2N for you.