Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Bandsaw Blades

A few months ago I purchased a new bandsaw, a 4x6 from Northern Tool. This is the typical 4x6 like Harbour Freight carries or similiar. The blade it use's is a 641/2 x 1/2 x .025.

I found a Ridgid brand at Home Depot that is 641/2x 1/2 x .020. (for cutting metal) will this work with the 4x6 saws? Only difference being the thickness of the blade.

At Lowes all I found was the blades used for vertical woodworking bandsaws and I got the deer in the headlights stare when I asked for blades that fit a 4x6 horizontal bandsaw (metaling cutting blades)

Tony
Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 AM

The ridgid brand will work. You can also find them at tractor supply if you have one handy.

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without”
Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM

I recently bought one of those blades from Home Depot and have been using it on the Harbor Freight saw. Sees to work okay, but also seems to dull quickly. It's high carbon steel and not bimetal.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Order a Lennox or Starrett bi metal blade from Enco. They last a long time.

Make that MSC, looks like Enco stopped carrying them. MSC has both brands. They are more expensive but worth it. I think Ive seen Milwaukee
blades at Harbor Freight.

Last edited by tnmike; 11-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Boiler God

I use Morse brand bi-metal blades and have had excellent luck with them, I got mine from Enco.

jack
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys for the reply/information on the blades, The original blade that came with the saw broke on me but I kinda figure it was my fault.

I first cut a few small pieces of angle iron with the saw no problem just getting the feel of it, (never operated a horizontal bandsaw before). I then cut a piece off some railroad railing I had, it cut it, but I had to re-position the railing about three times before it went all the way through.

The next piece of metal I tried was some 1/8 inch flat bar about 2" wide stood on end, that's when the dang blade broke at about 1/4" through. The owners manual is not real detailed with adjustments for me ( I like more detailed pics myself). Is there a tutorial link ( with pictures) that any of you could direct me to on how to properly set up the saw or at least check that it is?

The manual says that you rarely have to make adjustments that it's factory set and has had several test cuts made before shipped out, who knows. I really don't want to start twisting knobs and bolts since I'm really not for sure and get it way out of adjustment.

Thanks

Tony
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Get a good blade, tension it fairly tight and you wont have any more problems. You need to have more than one or two teeth in contact with the stock or you will jerk teeth out of the blade and or break blades. In other words you need a lot of teeth per inch to cut thin stock.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:19 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I have good luck with Ellis bi-metal. I use a variegated tooth like 4tpi for 2" and 6tpi for 2" I use the house brand. The finest blade I have is 8/10.
A good blade is cheap.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Tony , I had good luck with the Ridgid blades from Home Depot on my 4-1/2" X 6" Clark band saw . They do not last like Lenox or Morse do but they last better than the ones Tractor Supply sells . A over tensioned the blade will cause stress fractures , an under tensioned will slip .
Check in your area for a Industrial supply house that makes up blades . I call one in Erie and tell them what tooth pattern I need and pay for them with my credit card and they deliver them the next day usually (they have delivers down here everyday) .
Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM

+1 for Morse bimetal blade

I buy mine from Princess auto at a real good price in special.