Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Auction Addict

Default Mig Wire

Has anyone here used 308L stainless fluxcore mig wire? I never knew they had a stainless fluxcore wire.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Spinner of Wood

It runs great. I have burned up around 10 spools of .045 at this job. It runs on 75/25 gas with almost no spatter once you get the settings right.

http://www.ibrbsantas.org/
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Cranky Crustacean

They're real proud of it too I've got a 2# spool because I found it at a good price. I also know where to get 10# spools for a fair price if they still carry it. Here is a listing for a 1# spool http://readywelder.com/products-page...ire-1-lb-spool

I've seldom run across anyone that used it and even fewer folks that knew they made the stuff.

If you get a chance PT to snap pictures of the end result I'd sure like to view them... I've never seen any pics of the finished weld beads using the fluxcore SS.

Last edited by mudbug; 01-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpertruck View Post
It runs great. I have burned up around 10 spools of .045 at this job. It runs on 75/25 gas with almost no spatter once you get the settings right.
This stuff is fluxcore and runs with no gas.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Spinner of Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The stuff I run is a flux core dual shield. I haven't seen the gasless wire. I can't take pictures of what I do, but do a search for Poshek Welding and look at his gallery.

http://www.ibrbsantas.org/
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I think you still need gas with it even though its a fluxcore wire. Its like dual shield except for SS. I have never seen a true gasless fluxcore SS wire.

That wire pictured in the readywelder link is a non gas fluxcore wire for steel not SS. AWS 5.20 is a carbon steel wire. Now the SS fluxcore AWS 5.22 still uses gas either CO2 or Ar/CO2...Bob
http://www.ceilingtrains.com
Miller MM185 with 185 SpoolMate

Last edited by aametalmaster; 01-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Cranky Crustacean

This product is cheaper http://toolsandmore.us/us-forge-1187...FRRbnAodI0EAQg

It states Gasless FC although I've heard it is usually dual shield in commercial applications. Don't quite understand the dual part---if you're going to use gas anyway why spend the extra cost for FC wire ?

I originally had no intentions of having several different gases and equipment to utilize every known variation of welding and bought the FC SS to patch some restaurant equipment I had,but sold the equipment off before I got to fix it. I watched a guy fix a SS serving counter for my restaurant 17 years ago and I could barely see the repair. He had a plasma cutter and a mig and both impressed me enough that I eventually bought several of both. He made it look a lot easier than it really is.. but I had to have both machines after that and the FC SS wire too.

I had several discussions about this wire many years ago online and almost no one even knew it existed or where to get it. If I can locate some additional information I'll post it. It looks as if one site has vanished from the www where it was discussed.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpertruck View Post
The stuff I run is a flux core dual shield. I haven't seen the gasless wire. I can't take pictures of what I do, but do a search for Poshek Welding and look at his gallery.
The link ot his gallery does not work for me.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Cool

Looks like the US Forge 308 FC-0 SS wire is truly gasless...Bob
http://www.ceilingtrains.com
Miller MM185 with 185 SpoolMate
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Quote:
Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
I think you still need gas with it even though its a fluxcore wire. Its like dual shield except for SS. I have never seen a true gasless fluxcore SS wire.

That wire pictured in the readywelder link is a non gas fluxcore wire for steel not SS. AWS 5.20 is a carbon steel wire. Now the SS fluxcore AWS 5.22 still uses gas either CO2 or Ar/CO2...Bob
Good eyes Bob... The pictured spool is indeed just plain wire,but the item is SS Flux Cored and about $55 ...the plain SS wire is $18.50. They just used the plain wire spool instead of posting the correct FC SS Spool

I think the other link I posted is the true FC SS wire picture..... Both are FC SS wires the pic is inaccurate

I found the site http://poshekwelding.com/pictures.html ,but the gallery link is blank

Went back to 2008 in an old discussion and found this http://www.avestawelding.com/pages/Page____2939.aspx I wasn't very versed on the different methods of welding SS back then and it was a fairly knowledgable welding site and they knew almost nothing about the SS FC wires or gases used or not required...

I spent a lot of time researching it for my own knowledge and tried to share that info across the web... some of those old threads will probably still surface if someone searches for information on this stuff. I spent weeks looking for info and it was sparse to say the least. I really ought to dig out that roll from the sealed storage box and try it out.. I've got several large ammo boxes of misc. wires with desiccant packs in them stored in the shop.

Last edited by mudbug; 01-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.