Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 PM
jeffssalvage

Default why did miller and lincoln sell us out

Does anyone know why miller and Lincoln sold us out, by using numerous Chinese internal parts in their machines, but instead of passing savings on actually raised prices?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Depends on which level machines you are talking about,
I had my 350P open and was noticing it was all US or EU
sourced components.

To compete in the hobby homeowner level they have to
use the cheapest available part or they would not sell enough
product to justify the line.

Lincoln purchased Century just for that reason.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM
jeffssalvage

Default just spoke with kurt at miller las tweek

just spoke with kurt at miller last week asked if there were any Chinese parts in new dynasty 350 dx machines after a moment of silence he said yes there are Chinese internal components call yourself and ask
Old 06-28-2016, 04:37 PM
jeffssalvage

Default miller dynasty 350 now a big help to communist china

since so many internal components on the dynasty 350 are foreign including many from china, its a real help to chinas military development
Old 06-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Boiler God

this is the second thread you started with the same old shit, yes, they have Chinese parts, so what, almost everything does. If you hate Chinese stuff, move it over to the political forum. I've had very few problems with any of my Lincoln or Miller welders, they work just fine regardless of parts suppliers.

you sound like a broken record!!.............let it go!!

Last edited by platypus20; 06-28-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffssalvage View Post
... instead of passing savings on actually raised prices?
Do you suppose it might be possible that ever-increasing costs and regulations have driven them to do BOTH?

I fix air conditioners for a living. I can buy Chinese or American capacitors and motors. YOU may be willing to pay twice the price for an American motor or capacitor when you need one every few years. But I keep six motors and almost a hundred capacitors on the truck, plus other small replacement parts. Guess which ones I'm buying. Guess how many people have asked me from where my part came when I tell them I have in on the truck and can replace it immediately. Guess why Freon costs have doubled every year for the last five years. Guess why machines are twice the price they were five years ago. Take your rants to the government and tell them to get the hell out of business.

Last edited by MAC702; 06-28-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
since so many internal components on the dynasty 350 are foreign including many from china, its a real help to chinas military development
Clinton comes to mind.

Did a Chinese plot persuade Clinton to let a U.S. company give China its rocket science?

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/...a.missles.html
Old 06-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
since so many internal components on the dynasty 350 are foreign including many from china,
Because they are no longer made in this country....you tool.

Go to digikey, and try to find electronic components made in USA.

Bell Labs developed the transistor, but the US goobermint
allowed/pushed/shoved the whole industry overseas.

Lincoln and Miller have to go wherever they can to get the parts they need.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Elite Member

I don't own any Lincoln equipment but my miller machines are 2003- 2007 machines and are still good welders. I know my machines sweet spots so I would rather get one fixed than buy a new one up to a point.

I wish I would have kept my 250 Regency transformer and 22 a? wire drive, man I miss that machine.

Today buying from a company that stands by their equipment is the most important consideration, they all weld good after you get to know them.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Because they are no longer made in this country....you tool.

Go to digikey, and try to find electronic components made in USA.

Bell Labs developed the transistor, but the US goobermint
allowed/pushed/shoved the whole industry overseas.

Lincoln and Miller have to go wherever they can to get the parts they need.
It's only a matter of time before the finest products on earth are made in China.
They have come a long way and are going to go a long way further.
China has 19% of the world's population, but consumes ...
53% of the world's cement
48% of the world's iron ore
47% of the world's coal
.... And the majority of just about every other major commodity.
These are old stats and things are leveling off there.

In 2010, China produced 11 times more steel than the United States .
China made and sold 18 million vehicles in 2010.
There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined.
China currently has the world's fastest train (been on it) and the world's largest high-speed rail network.
China is currently the number one producer in the world of wind and solar power, but don't use it themselves. While they manufacture 80% of the world's solar panels, they install less than 5% and build a new coal fired power station every week. In one year they turn on more new coal powered electricity than Australia 's total output.
China currently controls more than 90% of the total global supply of rare earth elements.
In the past 15 years, China has moved from 14th place to 2nd place in the world in published scientific research articles.
China now possesses the fastest supercomputer on the entire globe.

At the end of March 2011, China has accumulated $3.04 trillion in US foreign currency reserves--the largest stockpile on the entire globe.
Chinese people consume 50,000 cigarettes every second.
They are already the largest carbon dioxide emitter and their output will rise 70% by 2020.

It will not make one iota of difference what we do in Australia, Canada, the United States or anywhere else in the world; for that matter, all the politicians are doing is increasing our cost of living and making our manufacturers uncompetitive in the world market, when countries like China are growing and consuming at these high rates.

The real issue for Chinese products is to have a brand name that is trusted by the world. So they produce for Lincoln and Miller and Tweco and Milwaukee and John Deere and Cat and Cummins.
And we pay top US pricing for this, but the companies stand behind the product and everyone needs and loves that.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Ironman; 06-29-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling