Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-28-2016, 08:09 AM

Default Kellogg 335TVX Air Compressor Pump?

This thread about a compressor rehab:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...d.php?p=670909
and the fact that my own Craftsman "Professional Series" compressor just died got me thinking: "I have a great big air compressor head in the basement, maybe I should use that?"

So here it is, it's a great big beast, based on how it feels to heft it around I'm betting every bit of 150#. I know nothing about it, just that if I'm going to use it I need to find a pulley for it and would really appreciate any suggestions about where to find the pulley, how to check it quickly that it's worth putting the effort in to get it hooked up, any other bits of advice...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeyview_Honeyview_20160928_045243.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	135802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeyview_Honeyview_20160928_045507.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	135803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeyview_Honeyview_20160928_045528.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	135804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeyview_20160928_045320.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	135805  
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH

Last edited by cutter; 09-28-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: remove embedded pitcure tags
Old 09-28-2016, 08:17 AM

It's rated for 3-8hp and up to ~28cfm and 175psi... I think this thing is a little beefier than the original oilless deal or the HF compressor head that I'm considering.

It only weighs 145#

Am I crazy thinking of mounting this on a 33gal wheeled tank compressor and then plumbing that into a 60 gallon vertical tank as an auxiliary? I kind of like the idea of this thing being "portable" even though I bet the tank+compressor will weigh >300# when I'm done
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 09-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Auction Addict

Any portable compressor on wheels that weighs that much would scare me about tipping over when pulled unless you have real wide wheelbase. If you gear it down, you will not have the CFM rating it is capable of.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Last edited by milomilo; 10-01-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:59 AM
I can dig it

And the motor size and wiring needed will limit portability anyway.

My father had a similar sized compressor, it dimmed the lights even with a 30A, 240v dedicated circuit feeding it.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 AM

if you can find a good sized pulley and incorporate a fan into it that compressor head should make you happy. It is nice to have "too much" air.
here are a couple of links from my compressor build
http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm
http://www.baldor.com/brands/baldor-...aves/classical
Old 09-28-2016, 03:18 PM

So I'm guessing that you guys think I should make this work over just grabbing an HF compressor head and running that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Any portable compressor on wheels that weighs that much would scare me abut tipping over when pulled unless you have real wide wheelbase. If you gear it down, you will not have the CFM rating it is capable of.
Honestly if I use it the thing is replacing the compressor head on this (not mine, pic grabbed off an auction site):

it's actually surprisingly wide to start with, and INCREDIBLY difficult to tip over (when I was younger and stupider I took it with me for a project by picking it up and setting it on it's side under the hatch of my Trans Am, it was actually harder to get on it's side than it was to pick up. Come to think of it, I brought it home from sears the same way in another Trans Am).

I think I'll end up having to mount the compressor head in the middle of the tank in front of the axle, and the motor on the back, kind of over/behind the axle which should make it pretty stable. I trust it more than i trust it on the top of the 60 gallon tank unless it is bolted to the floor, which honestly I'm not likely to do

WRT to gearing it down, I honestly have never run out of air with the old set up so I'm not too worried about it. Looking at the performance graph I'm pretty sure it moves more air anywhere >400rpm (it's minimum rated rpm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
And the motor size and wiring needed will limit portability anyway.

My father had a similar sized compressor, it dimmed the lights even with a 30A, 240v dedicated circuit feeding it.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Yea, I kind of expect that. This thing currently sits right next to the breaker box with it's own breaker and it's own box mounted right on the board the breaker box is mounted to. The 2x I've taken it with me for something I just dropped a breaker in the box there, wired it in and ran hose to where I needed air.

What I am worried about is figuring out how fast whichever motor I use will be capable of spinning it without overloading. I have a few choices of motor without going out and getting something and don't know which would be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
if you can find a good sized pulley and incorporate a fan into it that compressor head should make you happy. It is nice to have "too much" air.
here are a couple of links from my compressor build
http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm
http://www.baldor.com/brands/baldor-...aves/classical
Do you have a link to your build?

Yea, too much air isn't a problem and i've long since past the point where this thing will be a pain to move (Honestly, I suspect that mounted on that tank I'll still be able to lift it if I can figure out how to grab hold of it... I'm a big boy )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3660_7668779.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	135816  
BFH

Last edited by cutter; 09-28-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: remove embed tag
Old 09-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Curmudgeon

Mark, please stop using embed tags.
I know you uploaded it to our server but throwing the image into your text gives newbies the wrong idea, it is unnecessary and believe it or not we do still have slow connection users.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Mark, please stop using embed tags.
I know you uploaded it to our server but throwing the image into your text gives newbies the wrong idea, it is unnecessary and believe it or not we do still have slow connection users.
Sorry Cutter, I guess I don't post often but when I do I always cause a problem with pictures :-/
BFH
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Well, I did get a response from Kellogg, the "flywheel" pn is L713007, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. They said that one of their distributors in TX might have one but I didn't get a chance to talk with them. What are the chances that I can get one to my door for like >$50 or so?

On the plus side they told me what the "TVX" means: TV- standard compressor pump, X has suction unloaders. I guess I don't need to use the unloader that was built into the plumbing on the craftsman compressor.
BFH
Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 PM

So these are my 3 motor choices without going too much out of my way. Any thoughts on which one? Anyone have any idea how I can figure out what pulley ratio I can use with each one without overloading the motor???

1- the AO Smith motor that is currently on the compressor. I'd love to use that since I know that the contactor works well with it. Funny how a craftsman compressor motor from right before when they got sued for their HP ratings doesn't have a HP rating on the label
2- MagneTeK- I don't remember where I got this one from. This is probably the nicest one out of the bunch but it's got a squeaking coming from the rear bell that I'm pretty sure it didn't have when I put it down there. It's very high pitched, like a piece of sheet metal rubbing, not a bearing... if I'm going to use this one I probably need to figure that out first
3- a HF 5hp motor (I suspect that this one is very similar power output to #2 IRL) I used to use this on an alternator powered TIG welder that I used for a while...

#1 and 3 I know are in good shape, I've used them recently. #2 is an unknown, I'm pretty sure it was a dumpster dive or something similar and I've never had it wired up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160928_204101.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	135828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160928_204213.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	135829   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160928_204242.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	135830  
BFH