Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 11-17-2016, 01:40 PM
there has to be an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrojcak View Post
From what the guys have told me, these do not have the engineered certifications, but it is built the same way.
Run away Run away!!!

They are telling you absolute BS. Building codes are the MINIMUM standards for where you live. Wind load is a very important spec. If they are built the "same way' it is easy and cheap to get an engineered drawing if you are in the business of building a 40x60 common building.

I am sure you heard the story of the Three Little Pigs. I'm sure you remember the pig who saved $10,000 bucks by getting the straw house that did not meet wind load specs. Some Bubba told him he didn't need to follow code. It did not work out well for that pig, but who knows maybe it will never get windy where you live.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:40 PM
Elite Member

Default water pipe?

If it is water pipe just plain NO WAY!
Water pipe is not ment to be used structural.

If it is tube, OK
Millions of homes have 4 inch tube basement supports.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:54 PM

I used 6"x2"x1/8" rectangular tubing for the complete frame on a 60'x40'x14' shed, designed by me and then paid to have the computations done by an engineer.
This is classified as a "Cat-2" structure here, but we have no cyclones/hurricanes or snow. The engineer did add lots of diagonal bracing in the walls and roof to get the rating.
If the pipe is cheaper you can still afford to get computations done so that you know its safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shed front almost done.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	136672   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed side with roof.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	136673  
Old 11-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Standard of Excellence

Pipe is used for a lot of posts. There are structural ratings for it. In my limited experience, the I beam style buildings are really plate girders, not true I beams. The plate girder buildings generally have more space up top, as they are not loaded up with trusses on top of posts.
Personally, I would not buy a non engineered building at all, as you have no idea what kind of loading is on each post, so you don't know if you can hang a jib crane off of a post or not.
Also, look into frame construction (2x6 and stucco). Last I looked it was cheaper than a metal building, and you have better insulation from the start (even unisulated). If cost is the determining factor this may be a viable construction method. I framed up my shop in a day, sheathed it in a day, two days to have it stuccoed, roofed it in a day. 10k in concrete (concrete was extremely expensive at the time, would be about $4k now) and 10k for everything else. It is 30'x54'.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 PM
SFT Historian

The problem with tubing is it can rust from the inside out and be to late when it collapses.

Toyota is now having a big recall on truck frames that are rusting from inside out.

I assume you will need to buy certified tubing that is coated inside.

Just a cheap fence I built 1/16" wall thickness the horizontal runs rusted out from the inside out in about 12 years.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Boiler God

I-beam vs sch 40 pipe, I'd say I-beam, if it was heavy wall pipe - maybe
Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM
The Real Deal

Around here there are many "pole buildings" going up all the time with no steel.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:36 PM

From the lowest bidder's website FAQ page:

What is the difference between welded and bolted metal buildings?

Welded buildings refer to an economical and flexible ag series building system that utilizes 4-1/2” steel pipe uprights that go through the slab and are encased within a concrete pier (thus removing cross bracing that is common in a bolted system). Standardized framing is used on every building such as 6” or 8” x 2.5” 14 ga. cee purlin spaced 5’ or less on roof.
4” x 2.5” 14 ga. cee purlin spaced 5’ or less on walls. Wall purlin is saddle welded onto side of pipe upright creating a 4” flush girt wall and maximizing the amount of usable space in your building.
Bolted buildings refer to completely custom software designed building system that calculates material sizes and gauges based on building dimensions, building location, bay spacing, door & window locations, etc. Purlin or beam uprights are anchored to the top of the slab, framing connections are bolted using clips, and cross-bracing is often required which may affect your usable bays. The engineering calculations automatically generated make this system beneficial in building applications that require windstorm, permit, or engineer certification.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Can they provide bill of sale and material certifications on the steel pipe? I believe water casing was mentioned earlier, and my initial thought the whole way reading through this was that the discount might be because like another member of the forum, you would be using drill casing from the oil industry. Get that steel piping pretty cheap from what I understand. I'm not knocking it. Our other member here made the building them self and is completely content with it, just as I made my own and am content with it. However when I pay someone to do something, I expect it to be to the nines with local codes and craftsmanship.

That would be my main concern, really check on the source of material, and question non engineered drawings a little more. Its fine if its something you are building yourself, but not a contractor.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 11-18-2016, 07:56 AM

I've requested a quote to change the uprights to square tubing or I-beam.
I'm waiting on the email reply now.

As far as I know, the oil field doesn't use 4.5" pipe.
IIRC, drill stem is 2 7/8".